Having a probelms with my playbook staying connected at my home wifi. Had to change routers the other day.

Now the playbook will connect, only to get pushed off when you are on the interent for about 30 seconds but then will connect again, only to get pushed off again and again.

Spent several hours trying to find an issue. I did the hard reset; deleating the network, connecting manually etc etc but still have the problem-had not done whe security swipe as I do not want to loose all my sideloaded apps.

All my other WIFI stuff works fine (desktop, wife's lap top, son's i-pod, RUKU player etc.) The only problem is the playbook.

Did the OS2 update earlier in the week- and had no problems unit I changed my router.

Go to be something that the Playbook is doing- just does not want to play nice with the router.
    04-23-12 08:07 AM
    im also having problem like u...!

any advice from others regarding this issue?
    04-23-12 08:26 AM
    Me too. Help!
    04-23-12 04:19 PM
    Is it Eli Brett or Britt (sorry), has a thread where he tweaked some media player router settings.
    04-23-12 06:32 PM
    Note to OP...it might help if you listed your new router make and model, and what security settings you've set up for your home network.

Hope you can solve this easily!
    ambarmetta and PatrickMJS like this.
    04-23-12 08:26 PM
    Yeah, what Harry stated.
    04-23-12 08:39 PM
    Note to OP...it might help if you listed your new router make and model, and what security settings you've set up for your home network.

Hope you can solve this easily!
    router- netgear gateway 7550 router wpa2 settings.

Getting a new router later this week for an internet upgrade, so this may resolve itself, but then again, may not.
    04-24-12 07:44 AM
    Some routers are set to only allow so many devices. Are you at the limit so the pb is the one being pushed off? 3 button reset? Unplug your router and plug it back in. Different channel? Mixed mode to?

When connecting for the first time is bluetooth off and no phone paired?
    04-24-12 07:56 AM
    well my "fix" was a new router. We upgraded our wifi service a bit. Seems to be working properly for now. I'll post if I get the same problem with the new router.

The playbook support people recommened that I reload the software on the playbook, with instructions. I'll hold off doing that.

Appears it was an issue that my prior router and my playbook just did not want to stay connected. Something tells me it would be a somewhat simple fix- just have to know the right areas to access.

If we can go back to streaming amazon prime videos, then the playbook is regains it's "most favorite toy" status once again.
    PatrickMJS and Todor Ninov like this.
    04-26-12 08:14 AM
    Sorry to hear you had to get a new router.

My understanding is that the new router models handle streaming audio & video over wifi way better than the older models. At least that's what I read on the boxes I see on the shelf. Mine is a D-Link DIR 825 and it works like a champ. Picked it up last summer. It worked fine for me right out of the box.

Folks that have older routers and want to do streaming like Amazon Prime should probably consider upgrading their router if they're having problems.

I've never come across a situation where the PB won't connect to wifi when other devices will connect.
    04-26-12 12:02 PM
    Hi guys, i am having a very similar problem. My PB connects to my wifi with no issues, but then after browsing for a couple of minutes (or less sometimes) it essentially stalls out and the page wont load. If I turn off wifi and turn it right back on then reload the page it works perfect for another couple of minutes then the problem happens again. Over and over. I am quite frustrated at this point and trying to determine what else I can do. I have several other computers that all connect fine and never drop (same with PS3 and Wii). Not an issue of max computers on as I deactivated all of them and the problem was the same.

I have Time Warner Cable for my ISP and the router is their new Extreme service with a Ubee Model DDW3611 router. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated as this is way beyond annoying. I love my PB but this is making me change my tune.

Thanks so much guys.
    04-26-12 01:09 PM
    Hi All
    I upgraded my 2 playbooks yesterday. The 16GB works without any problem while the 64GB does not hold the network connection longer than a few minutes. After logging onto my wireless LAN I can work for a few minutes without any problem and then it's over. Get the message "Network Unavailable" in the WIFI settings screen and from onwards I cannot log onto the LAN anymore other than rebooting the router. All other devices on the LAN, wired and wireless, work without any problem. Router is a Netgear DG834GU. I completely wiped my playbook - no improvement. I re-installed the OS - no improvement. RIM stuffed something completely - but only on my 64GB model.
    04-27-12 12:02 AM
    does the problem only exists on WIFI connect? How's internet connection via your BB or 3G?
    04-27-12 08:07 AM
    I completely wiped my playbook - no improvement. I re-installed the OS - no improvement. RIM stuffed something completely - but only on my 64GB model.
    sir, you mean security wipe right?. because we had the same problem with my 16gb PB. i did a security wipe and now im stuck at activating my PB.. having a hard time connecting to the wifi.
    my pb has been unusable for a week now.
    04-27-12 08:46 AM
    Hi All
    I upgraded my 2 playbooks yesterday. The 16GB works without any problem while the 64GB does not hold the network connection longer than a few minutes. After logging onto my wireless LAN I can work for a few minutes without any problem and then it's over. Get the message "Network Unavailable" in the WIFI settings screen and from onwards I cannot log onto the LAN anymore other than rebooting the router. All other devices on the LAN, wired and wireless, work without any problem. Router is a Netgear DG834GU. I completely wiped my playbook - no improvement. I re-installed the OS - no improvement. RIM stuffed something completely - but only on my 64GB model.
    I would compare the settings on both pb's line by line. If they match, turn off the 16gb completely - power it OFF. Then check. Maybe the two are trying to share some channel???
    04-27-12 10:30 AM
    I'm having the same issue and dare I say, it makes me want to throw my PB ! My other issue is that when I do try to reconnect I keep getting an error message which forces me to keep trying over and over to reconnect. Also when I'm tethering, I must get booted off of that connection at least once during each 5 minutes period that I'm connected ! I feel like I'm wasting money with having the tethering feature..
    05-06-12 08:58 AM
    Yep, I too had this issue with two 16 GB PB Models on one router.
    Namely the Fritzbox 7390. I read in a forum that this issue appeared first
    after the OS2 Update. It had to do with a incompatibility with WPA2 (But for me trying out the insecure WEP produced the same problems).
    After I changed to a Netgear N600 the problem was solved. Connections never
    corrupted anymore. Also I had a much better signal everywhere in the house
    than with the Fritzbox 7390.
    06-25-12 08:06 AM
    Hi All, this is my first post on here ( and hopefully last ), I came on to solve the WIFI "drop out problem", I have 2 routers in the house Wireless ( 3 floors ), I connected and registered to the downstairs router, however the upstairs Netgear n150 WIFI kept dropping out eerrgghh, now as I work in IT I found this solution and would recommend to everyone ( if you have router access of course ).... go to your router and check about/update the firmware... mine was updated from 1.00 something to 1.045 and now it works like a dream... no drop out and just to make sure I walked down to the other router and swapped back and forth and hey presto all is well.... hope this helps the ones that can update there routers firmware...
    08-27-12 07:29 AM
    Hi All, this is my first post on here ( and hopefully last ), I came on to solve the WIFI "drop out problem", I have 2 routers in the house Wireless ( 3 floors ), I connected and registered to the downstairs router, however the upstairs Netgear n150 WIFI kept dropping out eerrgghh, now as I work in IT I found this solution and would recommend to everyone ( if you have router access of course ).... go to your router and check about/update the firmware... mine was updated from 1.00 something to 1.045 and now it works like a dream... no drop out and just to make sure I walked down to the other router and swapped back and forth and hey presto all is well.... hope this helps the ones that can update there routers firmware...
    Thanks for posting that info. And, this does not have to be your last post. You might have other info or ideas you can share. Some of us are friendly MOST of the time!
    08-27-12 09:19 AM
    To all,

I appreciate some users asking about what router and about re-loading PB software to help the OP and others, but the bottom line is the PB sucks when it comes to wifi connectivity!
    I have iPad2 and Xoom as well as laptops, notebook, 3 smartphones, iPod and NONE of them has issues with my router and keeping connected. NONE! It is only the PB (I have 2) which keep on disconnecting or loosing signal when moving in house and RIM needs to fix it.
    Users should not need to go through all these 'workarounds' (except keeping router software up to date) just to keep the PB connected when NO other device experience the same issue!
    This is big red face on RIM's part.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 08-27-12 at 09:51 AM.
    08-27-12 09:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD