Hi guys,
    I need a little help here.
    My PB works fine the first day but I can't get into the internet browser the next day.
    The browser would just shut itself down whenever I tried to open it.
    I reboot couple of times but still no fix. Hard reset (volume +,- and power) and still didn't work. I ended up wiping the whole data and It still didn't work.

The internet browser keeps shutting itself whenever I open it.
    Is there anything else I can do?
    I'm about to return the PB but I'm trying to find ways to fix this before i do.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
    my OS is (1.0.8.6067)
    Everything else works (youtube, app world, etc) but only Internet browser wouldn't open.
    Last edited by eastfreestyler; 12-10-11 at 08:39 AM.
    12-09-11 06:49 PM
    Hi guys,
    I need a little help here.
    My PB works fine the first day but I can't get into the internet browser the next day.
    The browser would just shut itself down whenever I tried to open it.
    I reboot couple of times but still no fix. Hard reset (volume +,- and power) and still didn't work. I ended up wiping the whole data and It still didn't work.

The internet browser keeps shutting itself whenever I open it.
    Is there anything else I can do?
    I'm about to return the PB but I'm trying to find ways to fix this before i do.

Thanks in advance.
    Which OS are you running on the PB?
    Options --> About
    12-09-11 06:51 PM
    Sorry for not giving more details
    my OS is (1.0.8.6067)
    I bought my playbook 2 days ago
    12-09-11 06:52 PM
    Simply imploding (closing) when you have not done anything or visited any sites is unusual. It does do it occasionally. Did you reset the homepage to some odd site - oh, you wiped it so that should not matter.

Are you running any other apps when it happens?

Have you checked for a new update - the newest was very recent (mine's downstairs so I can't check)

How much data?

Also:

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    12-09-11 08:03 PM
    Yea, I thought it was strange as well.
    I read a lot of internet browser crashing but mine would close it self within 1-2 seconds. Leaving me no options to change settings on browser.

I wiped everything so it came out as new. It prompt me to update the OS and I follow through the process.
    No apps running in the background.
    My WiFi looks good. YouTube works, so does app world.
    Only internet browser or any other app associated with it would close right away when I try to open them.
    Is there any other internet browser app that I can use? Opera, bolt?
    How about upgrading to 2.0 OS?
    12-09-11 08:11 PM
    Almost forgot mine is 16gb.
    OS 1.0.8.6067
    Build ID 91128
    Flash player version 11.1.122.4
    Air version 3.1.0.2.0
    Kernel version 5.6.0.41945
    12-09-11 08:15 PM
    Yea, I thought it was strange as well.
    I read a lot of internet browser crashing but mine would close it self within 1-2 seconds. Leaving me no options to change settings on browser.

I wiped everything so it came out as new. It prompt me to update the OS and I follow through the process.
    No apps running in the background.
    My WiFi looks good. YouTube works, so does app world.
    Only internet browser or any other app associated with it would close right away when I try to open them.
    Is there any other internet browser app that I can use? Opera, bolt?
    How about upgrading to 2.0 OS?
    The browser rarely crashes contrary to what you might have read.

QNX operates processes independently and self contained. A process may pop off or refuse to open if and only if there aren't enough resources available to operate it.

Buggy apps may cause a resource drain even if they are not up. A mortgage calculator app had my PB behaving oddly after I downloaded it. Dumped it and a simple restart and I was good to go.

Check to see that your device behavior is set to default or pause to ensure that a resource hog might not be running without you being aware of it.

Does your bridge browser behave the same way? What about the "Comic Sans" browser (fully functional but simpler and available for free in appworld)?
    12-09-11 08:39 PM
    i have owned the playbook for about 6 months now, and i have to say i have had multiple browser issues. they are common. the most frustrating for me is the keyboard keeps dropping on me. sometimes i have the urge to go HULK on the pb and break it in half. if you have owned your playbook for less than 30 days do yourself a favour and return it. i would if i could get my money back. you will not be disappointed with the samsung galaxy tab.
    12-09-11 08:43 PM
    The browser rarely crashes contrary to what you might have read.

QNX operates processes independently and self contained. A process may pop off or refuse to open if and only if there aren't enough resources available to operate it.

Buggy apps may cause a resource drain even if they are not up. A mortgage calculator app had my PB behaving oddly after I downloaded it. Dumped it and a simple restart and I was good to go.

Check to see that your device behavior is set to default or pause to ensure that a resource hog might not be running without you being aware of it.

Does your bridge browser behave the same way? What about the "Comic Sans" browser (fully functional but simpler and available for free in appworld)?
    I thought some apps would cause this problem. Which is why I did security wipe to delete data, files and apps.
    I have no other apps than stock and the browser still doesn't work

My device behavior is set to default.
    I will download comic sans and report back.

here's the video:
    12-09-11 08:47 PM
    i have owned the playbook for about 6 months now, and i have to say i have had multiple browser issues. they are common. the most frustrating for me is the keyboard keeps dropping on me. sometimes i have the urge to go HULK on the pb and break it in half. if you have owned your playbook for less than 30 days do yourself a favour and return it. i would if i could get my money back. you will not be disappointed with the samsung galaxy tab.
    I bought the playbook to get back into blackberry (Atm, I have rooted HTC thunderbolt and Lenovo ideapad K1 tablet).
    I heard good things from my friend but had bad exp for myself.

I'm trying to troubleshoot this since Bestbuy won't be able to replace it (out of stock).
    I want to keep the Playbook, It has potential for the price I bought.
    12-09-11 08:54 PM
    I can replicate your complaint by touching the active part of the screen.

Having the browser crash repeatedly is not a nominal condition.

Droid is buggy and cheap.
    12-09-11 08:55 PM
    Comic sans doesn't work as well.
    12-09-11 08:59 PM
    Maybe you dont have enough resources available. Try closing other apps first
    12-09-11 09:01 PM
    No other apps are open.
    12-09-11 09:04 PM
    I updated to Dev ver 2 pretty well right away. Installed Dolphin 7 HD works well as does the Native browser. Guess you gota go 2 Beta. Or find away to install Dolphin in 1.08
    12-09-11 09:05 PM
    I haven't heard of anyone complain of it crashing as soon as opened. I would call RIM and see if they would do the cross ship thing for a new one.
    12-09-11 09:05 PM
    I thought some apps would cause this problem. Which is why I did security wipe to delete data, files and apps.
    I have no other apps than stock and the browser still doesn't work

My device behavior is set to default.
    I will download comic sans and report back.

here's the video:
    Something is running that is costing you resources. Could be a bad hardware component even. The UI appears normal and from that you can deduce that that OS is functioning nominally as the UI is alloted on a high priority basis resources from the available processing power.

Your condition is not normal as very few in absolute numbers suffer from whatever is going on with your PB. Before trying anything else, you might consider reloading the OS from scratch.

How many processes can you run at one time in showcase mode? Should be greater than four.

Rest assured that in a nominally functioning PB, the browser is very good and very stable.
    12-09-11 09:09 PM
    The keyboard issue is easy to solve if you just hit x to stop the page from loading or wait for the page to finish. The beta OS does not do this however. I can log into crackberry (one of the worst) with no problem while the page is loading.

Yes the browser does crash sometimes and needs to be optimized and tweeked. Clearing the cash etc. helps for that too for awhile. Also on the beta I rarely have a browser crash. Your usage may be much different than mine though producing different results.
    12-09-11 09:09 PM
    I'd say take advantage of RIM's free 90 days of tech support and get their help with the browser issue. Below is the support page with the registration link that I used, yours may differ if you're outside the US.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry PlayBook Support
    12-09-11 09:36 PM
    Comic sans doesn't work as well.
    Bridge browser available to you?

I'd say reload the OS. The nominal browser function is very good.

Normally, a simple restart or failing that a three button restart will fix just about anything as those procedures put everything back it their respective boxes.
    12-09-11 10:02 PM
    I remember I had a spate of almost all apps imploding like shown except the Clock app. But a 3-finger reboot restored things to normal. I don't recall what caused it.
    12-10-11 12:08 AM
    Can you open a video, appworld and other apps at the same time... do any of those close like the browser did?
    This is a strange situation... I'm thinking a faulty memory chip meaning that the PB wouldn't have enough resources to operate but if the above work (opening up resource intensive apps) then idk what it could be.

If the above still doesn't work, I would have a try on OS2.
    12-10-11 04:46 AM
    I cannot understand the bad luck that plagues some of you as though a black cloud follows you everywhere. All you do is complain, complain, and complain without ever considering the root of the problem is reflecting off the tablet screen. Since the YouTube video of the self-closing web browser was useless at best in diagnosing the reason for the web browser not remaining running let's start anew. Simply delete the web browser application from the tablet and power-off the tablet for at least 4 hours before restarting it. At this point, a notification of a software update should be displayed because the missing web browser will have been detected. Update the tablet software and try launching the web browser after it is installed. Sorry but it is difficult to differentiate between trolls and persons with legitimate issues. Hopefully, your BlackBerry PlayBook will function correctly. Otherwise, simply call the BlackBerry PlayBook support telephone line and open a ticket which might eventually lead to issuance of an RMA if the device really is defective. The BlackBerry PlayBook support team will definitely help you.
    12-10-11 06:40 AM
    PB fixed.
    I was on the phone with rim tech 1.5 hr last night.
    He told me to reboot my PB 3 times in a row (mixed of hard and soft reset)
    Connect it to desktop manager and update the OS from there.
    Im typing this on the browser now
    Thanks for everyones advises and comments
    12-10-11 08:43 AM
    PB fixed.
    I was on the phone with rim tech 1.5 hr last night.
    He told me to reboot my PB 3 times in a row (mixed of hard and soft reset)
    Connect it to desktop manager and update the OS from there.
    Im typing this on the browser now
    Thanks for everyones advises and comments
    How strange, some sort of voodo trick lol. I have seen stranger things work on problematic computers. Good luck with it staying fixed.
    12-10-11 08:53 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD