Hi,

I am trying to convince the CTO (if that's the correct term) at work that PBs are the way to go in terms of a mobile hardware solution, aka tablet. For it to be optimal there needs to be a case which enables me to bring the PB into areas where there is a potential for explosive gases to be present, for instance on an offshore oil rig. If this is to be possible it needs to be EX certified, which it isn't and probably won't become. Sooo.. has anybody heard of a case which makes it EX proof?

(EX might not be the right term, but hopefully you catch my drift..)
    02-01-12 02:11 PM
    I think you mean ATEX certified.

There doesn't seem to be many options for cases that are ATEX.
    02-01-12 02:20 PM
    Maybe try an Otterbox. I have one. The only opening(s) are for the speakers I believe.

c
    02-01-12 02:37 PM
    Maybe try an Otterbox. I have one. The only opening(s) are for the speakers I believe.

c
    I have one too, but while it is water-resistant, it isn't waterproof.
    02-01-12 02:44 PM
    I believe you're referring to IECEx standards, which is the Euro equivalent to ATEX here in North America. There are no ATEX certified cases for the PB, as mentioned above. But we are using our PBs in similar situations sometimes, in the presence of Avgas and Jet A fuels in enclosed hangars. We use the Otterbox case and use an ATEX approved sealing tape on all seams and ports. We have one PB dedicated for this since it's very inconvenient to be removing and re-taping it. We wirelessly transfer data when needed. But to charge we still have to remove the port tape.

Knowing Euro standards, I doubt they will allow this practice. We do need access to a vapor proof case, as it would expand the versatility of the PB.
    02-01-12 04:19 PM
    Hi,

I am trying to convince the CTO (if that's the correct term) at work that PBs are the way to go in terms of a mobile hardware solution, aka tablet. For it to be optimal there needs to be a case which enables me to bring the PB into areas where there is a potential for explosive gases to be present, for instance on an offshore oil rig. If this is to be possible it needs to be EX certified, which it isn't and probably won't become. Sooo.. has anybody heard of a case which makes it EX proof?

(EX might not be the right term, but hopefully you catch my drift..)
    The personal protective equipment has really not caught up to handheld technology in this case. While it all exists, I haven't seen too much movement in custom designing for any tablets. At least the Playbook does not have a flash for its camera which does take one issue off the table (but only one). You might talk to a certified manufacturer of rated cases and see what their interest might be in developing something. Otherwise, I would assume there would be regulatory issues in Europe and know they exist in the US. For the person who mentioned that they were allowed to use ATEX tape, I'd make doubly sure that is allowed. If there is a catastrophic failure, your employer will be the first one in OSHA's targets, regardless of whether someone said it was okay. Yes, I am OSHA trained/certified in a couple areas....
    02-01-12 05:16 PM
    You're right, the reason I said I doubt the more restrictive Euro standards would allow this practice. BTW, I don't believe I said we were allowed to use ATEX certified tape, I think I said we were using it
    02-01-12 06:41 PM
    The PlayBook with a protective case (static electricity free - avoid polymeric materials) with IP 54 rating might be suitable for use in a Class I, Division 2/Zone 2 hazardous (classified) locations (also referred to potenially explosive atmospheres).

For portable equipment certified for use in Class I, Division 2/Zone 2 (or Ex protection Ex n - IEC 60079-15), there is drop test requirements of 4 times from about 1 metre. The equipment should not have any normally arc/sparking components.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-02-12 08:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD