1. skilas's Avatar
    So I was slow on the tablet craze. I thought they were silly, and just big iPhones (since at the time the iPad was the dominant force). I got a PlayBook and saw the appeal right away.

    But over the past two years of ownership, I slowly stopped using it. The best feature was filling it with photos, taking it to see family, hooking it up to the tv and controlling it with my 9900. Awesome. And everyone was envious.

    But with bb10, I started finding the PB software tedious to use. Something about swiping from the bottom, and not have the app movement be 1:1, was hard to go back to. It just wasn't fast enough. And since they've decided not to update the OS, I can't really see myself ever going back to my PB on a full time basis.

    I bought a Dell Venue 7 (16gb) last week on sale for $99. My first Android device. Never been a fan of android phones (based on the demo kiosks). But I like it. It's faster, lighter, more apps, better browser, and more manageable to use. I miss blackberry specific things about the PB, but I don?t think I can go back. My PB is 32gb though, so I will still use it to show off photos with family (even though the bridge with my Z30 is not nearly as good as it with with my 9900).

    Obviously, with the PB not really supported anymore, it's hard to compare it to hardware 2-3 years newer. I just would have LOVED to see the 2nd or 3rd generation PlayBooks. Less bulky, better resolution, expandable storage, better browser, BB10... Anyways, just wanted to share my impressions as a blackberry fan who bought a PB on boxing day 2 years ago.

    Posted via CB10 on Z30
    sam81 likes this.
    11-24-14 05:38 PM
  2. Old_Mil's Avatar
    I still use mine daily. I won't be buying another tablet when my existing fleet of Playbooks dies and is unrepairable unless Ubuntu tablets mske a big splash but this is mostly a philosophical choice.
    RA-HA and nah.uhh like this.
    11-25-14 05:40 AM
  3. sorinv's Avatar
    Are there Ubuntu tablets or just converted android tablets?
    11-27-14 12:11 AM
  4. Old_Mil's Avatar
    Not yet.
    11-28-14 12:00 AM
  5. Brian Levy's Avatar
    I also still use mine daily and it is my most used computer. I do have a laptop but it may get a couple hours a month; mostly because it is located in the room with my stereo.
    11-28-14 11:12 AM
  6. Oiram Asojonih's Avatar
    I'm a contractor and for me it's still incredibly useful daily. I can carry hundreds of photos of our work and have a huge screen to read texts, emails and bbm's while mobile. I do wish they would release a new PB or update the software for loyal PB owners (bought mine 3 years ago).

    Posted via CB10
    sam81 likes this.
    11-28-14 11:21 AM
  7. Protekt1's Avatar
    For me to get use out of the playbook, I need them to update the android emulator to 4.1 as they promised.
    11-28-14 02:03 PM
  8. pacoman03's Avatar
    For me to get use out of the playbook, I need them to update the android emulator to 4.1 as they promised.
    That's actually one promise that they never made.
    11-28-14 08:13 PM
  9. Protekt1's Avatar
    That's actually one promise that they never made.
    They did and I read about the announcement in several articles. I can't post links but just google it.
    11-28-14 09:00 PM
  10. pacoman03's Avatar
    They did and I read about the announcement in several articles. I can't post links but just google it.
    I've been around here long enough to know what has been and has not been promised by BlackBerry, and that's one promise that they never made. You can't post links because they don't exist. I don't need to Google it.
    11-28-14 09:15 PM
  11. thurask's Avatar
    Lost 95% of interest in tablets when Z10 came out. Remaining 5% with Z30.

    But it was great pairing it to a Bold 9900; Bridge for portable Internet/email, PlayBook for big screens, 3D games and a less-crap browser.

    Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 09:52 PM
  12. RA-HA's Avatar
    I've been around here long enough to know what has been and has not been promised by BlackBerry, and that's one promise that they never made. You can't post links because they don't exist. I don't need to Google it.
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/02...blackberry-10/
    Protekt1 likes this.
    11-30-14 06:59 AM
  13. sparrow300's Avatar
    Bam!

    11-30-14 09:04 PM
  14. Pensa MK's Avatar
    It says "Planned", not "Promised".

    Nice try.

    Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 09:07 PM
  15. johnny_bravo72's Avatar
    Burn!

    Posted from an ME173X
    11-30-14 09:08 PM
  16. skilas's Avatar
    Lost 95% of interest in tablets when Z10 came out. Remaining 5% with Z30.

    But it was great pairing it to a Bold 9900; Bridge for portable Internet/email, PlayBook for big screens, 3D games and a less-crap browser.

    Posted via CB10
    I agree most with this. When I had a 9900, it was the ultimate messaging machine. But for media the screen was too small. PlayBook was good for photos and videos (not great). Native photo viewer did not have enough sorting options. But when I got the Z30, no more need for pulling something else out for photos.

    Main reason I use the Dell venue in bed right now is for browsing forums. Less scrolling.

    Only game I really played the crap out of was PvZ on playbook.

    Posted via CB10 on Z30
    12-01-14 12:20 PM
  17. Protekt1's Avatar
    I've been around here long enough to know what has been and has not been promised by BlackBerry, and that's one promise that they never made. You can't post links because they don't exist. I don't need to Google it.
    The site requires you to post 10 times before posting a link. RA-HA posted one. Thanks for being civil though and taking 10 seconds of your time to verify what I am saying through google search lmao.

    It says "Planned", not "Promised".

    Nice try.

    Posted via CB10
    You didn't read the article: "The company has now promised that it would update the Android emulator to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean"
    12-02-14 02:02 PM
  18. pacoman03's Avatar
    Oh. You're welcome. BUT, while the article seems to confirm what you said, in fact it doesn't really. The source of their information.was cited as Crackberry. If you follow their link to to the Crackberry article they cited, there was no mention in that article as to whether or not the updated runtime would be coming to the Playbook- only that they were working on an updated runtime So, maybe try again.
    12-02-14 03:03 PM
  19. RA-HA's Avatar
    12-02-14 03:22 PM
  20. mh1983's Avatar
    Still no: the Laptopmag article just links back to the Gottabemobile one. Ultimately, each of these threads still points back to CB's (unfounded) claim.
    12-02-14 03:29 PM
  21. RA-HA's Avatar
    It's really somewhat moot to argue about the obvious. The CB article states that BlackBerry was going to update the Android runtime. Reference was the BlackBerry Jam Europe. OS10 and the PB both were then using the older runtime. It was clear for everybody (read the posts following the article) that this announcement included the PB. Because it wasn't excluded. Because at the time the PB was supposed to also get OS10. (They promised that, btw.)

    Isn't it somewhat irritating that pretty much everybody understands all those articles the same way?
    12-02-14 05:04 PM
  22. Pensa MK's Avatar
    I still think if it has BlackBerry's name on it, they should support it. Especially if the device still works.

    Look at the support Apple gives their old products...

    BlackBerry should be doing the same.

    Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 06:26 PM
  23. skilas's Avatar
    I don't want to get too bogged done in the "what they did or did not promise" train if thought, but appreciate the discussion.

    One item I do miss about my PlayBook are the front facing x2 speakers. I'm tired of tablets always having a single speaker at the bottom. Makes watching videos in bed, in landscape mode annoying because I have to cup my hand around it. And I'd rather not have to use headphones in bed.

    Posted via CB10 on Z30
    12-03-14 08:25 AM
  24. RA-HA's Avatar
    I still like my PB, but usability is, as much as I hate to say this, not really up to what's possible today.

    Been enjoying a Passport now for 4 weeks or so, and I can't stop thinking: Give me an 8 or a 10'' Passport minus the keys and plus pen capabilities, and I'd be a happy man.
    12-03-14 09:05 AM
  25. BB Adict's Avatar
    Blackberry has made and broken so many promises that it is hard to keep track any more.

    Posted via CB10
    Protekt1, dmlis and DrBoomBotz like this.
    12-03-14 10:22 AM

Similar Threads

  1. Why can't I play Youtube on my BlackBerry PlayBook?
    By CrackBerry Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-05-16, 02:55 PM
  2. Where is CB Participation on PlayBook?
    By jtv1 in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-26-14, 10:26 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-14, 07:36 AM
  4. Why won't my 64gb playbook charge?
    By CrackBerry Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-14, 05:05 PM
  5. PlayBook won't send emails
    By CrackBerry Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-14, 10:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD