Hello long suffering crackberries.

I don't like to pst threads that have countless similar siblings but I'm too tired and over it to dig through all of them. I just want specific help directed at me.

So, my playbook has either got an issue I didn't see coming, or I let it get too flat; I'm not sure which. I can't get it to turn on now or take a charge. Unfortunately I left the official charger in the last hotel I stayed in (I'm travelling at the moment). That might be a coincidence or the problem but its all seemingly happened at the same time. Here's where I'm at....

...Using a x4 usb output charger that works at 5v 2amps. When plugged in the PB shows a solid red light for about fifteen seconds then gives five yellow flashes.

I had tried turning it on but it never made it through the booting process. From some of what I have read on this forum I stopped trying to boot.

There was a point a day or so ago when it was still turned on but would not show the charging icon within the battery icon.

Worst case scenario I believe I have an extended replacement guarantee with PC world in the UK (in the case of any damage at all) so at least when I get home next month I can exchange it. Sadly I'm going to have to endure a lot more flying time without it.
    10-07-13 06:27 AM
    Always best to use the OEM charger. Anyways I think your BB is completely dead and will require a "stack charge" to revive. This is a method of charging that involves repeatedly plugging and unplugging. You see each time you plug it in it DOES get a small couple seconds charge, if you do this like 100 times it SHOULD get the battery to the point where it will start charging normally.
    Carl Estes and Mellfee like this.
    10-07-13 08:13 AM
    It ONLY seems like a hundred times.....but it's only about 57 times......

Yes, it seems like the Stack Charge Resucitation (sp?) method should awaking your PB from it's sleep.
    I've had to do this ONCE, like you when I let my first PB go to flat on the battey. They do not like it!
    Never happend again to me.

c
    Mellfee and pkcable like this.
    10-07-13 09:04 AM
    Thanks guys. I'm trying to do that now. I'm going to try and replace the charger either by mail if they'll send it or just buy a new one. The last time it was on it was showing a fully empty battery icon and it wouldn't charge from the current charger I have so I guess it's not putting out what it says it will. It says 2amps.

Anyway, thanks for the straight advice.
    10-07-13 10:18 AM
    Thanks guys. I'm trying to do that now. I'm going to try and replace the charger either by mail if they'll send it or just buy a new one. The last time it was on it was showing a fully empty battery icon and it wouldn't charge from the current charger I have so I guess it's not putting out what it says it will. It says 2amps.

Anyway, thanks for the straight advice.
    Pick up the Blackberry Rapid Travel Charger on Amazon, for about 15 bucks! It uses the the 3 little contact pins the Charging Dock uses, can be attached either way (magnetic connector, attaches in the complete darkness, and breaks-away if you walk thru the cable..)

AND it saves wear and tear on the Micro USB Data/Charging port on the bottom/middle. I use this connector ONLY for data transfers/wipes.

c
    Mellfee likes this.
    10-07-13 12:40 PM
    Ditto on the Rapid Travel Charger. FYI the Knowledge Base article on PB charging.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

The BB charger which uses the micro usb port has the data wires on the cable grounded together. This allows the PB to recognize it as a charger and allow higher current input. If the charger you are using charged at 1.8 amps in the past it was recognized. The light sequence you mention usually indicates the PB battery voltage is less than 3.53 V but greater than 2.7 volts. As mentioned above stack charging to get to 3.53 V may required many switches on and off of the charger. I recommend using a switched outlet to plug the charger into although some would just keep pulling the plug out of the wall outlet. Don't keep plugging and unplugging at the micro usb port on the PB because of it's fragility.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-07-13 01:19 PM
    Ditto on the Rapid Travel Charger. FYI the Knowledge Base article on PB charging.

KB27705-BlackBerry PlayBook battery power charge, discharge characteristics, and guidance on extending battery life

The BB charger which uses the micro usb port has the data wires on the cable grounded together. This allows the PB to recognize it as a charger and allow higher current input. If the charger you are using charged at 1.8 amps in the past it was recognized. The light sequence you mention usually indicates the PB battery voltage is less than 3.53 V but greater than 2.7 volts. As mentioned above stack charging to get to 3.53 V may required many switches on and off of the charger. I recommend using a switched outlet to plug the charger into although some would just keep pulling the plug out of the wall outlet. Don't keep plugging and unplugging at the micro usb port on the PB because of it's fragility.

surge protector is perfect for this,,, just hit the switch on & off as necessary...
    FF22, Carl Estes and Mellfee like this.
    10-08-13 06:21 PM
    As suggested, plug and UNplug at the wall so you avoid stressing the usb port on the pb, itself.
    10-09-13 10:21 AM
    As suggested, plug and UNplug at the wall so you avoid stressing the usb port on the pb, itself.
    If you plug and unplug at the wall grab the plug not the wire. Bad practice to unplug a device under load. That's what switches are for. Agree with suggestion above to use a switchable surge preventer device. But also agree on the suggestion above on avoiding stress on and possible damage to the fragile usb port.

Mellfee, Carl Estes, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    10-09-13 03:30 PM
    Thanks everyone. I'm doing a lot of traveling with work at the moment so it's not the ideal situation for stack charging but I'm trying. I bought my Dad a rapid charger (the stand type) but it's thousands of miles away at the moment. I could get one of Amazon for a few dollars but I'd never be able to receive it the way were moving around.

With the stack charging, what is the next light sequence I should expect to see if it's successful?
    10-10-13 09:34 PM
    Thanks everyone. I'm doing a lot of traveling with work at the moment so it's not the ideal situation for stack charging but I'm trying. I bought my Dad a rapid charger (the stand type) but it's thousands of miles away at the moment. I could get one of Amazon for a few dollars but I'd never be able to receive it the way were moving around.

With the stack charging, what is the next light sequence I should expect to see if it's successful?
    See KB27705. When the yellow pulsating light shows indicating charging is in progress do not disturb. After about four hours the light should turn green indicating charging is complete. Advise getting Battery Guru app to monitor power usage and battery condition.
    10-10-13 10:54 PM
    Ok, just read through KB27705. Will post back once it's up and running again.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-11-13 01:10 AM
    Well I continued trying to stack charge it but it never came back. I eventually had the original charger mailed to me at another hotel and it sorted it straight out…… The charger I'd been using said it was a 2amp output but you never know.

Anyway, as usual thanks for all the help! Glad I got my playbook working again in time for two very long flights.
    11-01-13 10:55 PM
    Sorry for this but I got confused with all the replies, and tips, and comments.

I have the same problem, my PB doesn't come up. I lost the original charger, I buyed the rapid charger (the one that is plug into the four pins connector). But the PB doesn't charge, and I have the PB connected to the charger for weeks.

So the solution is to buy another charger, same as original and do the stack charging procedure???

I will appreciate a response.
    11-04-13 04:53 PM
    This might sound stupid but is your PB sat correctly on the rapid charger..? My Dad thought his wasn't working but it just wasn't quite seated properly.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-05-13 04:45 AM
    This might sound stupid but is your PB sat correctly on the rapid charger..? My Dad thought his wasn't working but it just wasn't quite seated properly.
    Oh YES, that does happen with the Charging Dock! Dust build up on the dock, and the pins on the bottom of the PB sometimes pick up grime and dust/dirt just from being used. Happened to me a few times until I figured it out. I looked down and there was a bug (a dead real bug) in the cradle trough, and it was enough to keep the BB from making a GOOD SOLID contact. Once in a while, I use a clean toothbrush to dust out and clean the contacts on the PB and the Dock.

Also, get this:

Pick up the Blackberry Rapid Travel Charger on Amazon, for about 15 bucks! It uses the the 3 little contact pins the Charging Dock uses, can be attached either way (magnetic connector, attaches in the complete darkness, and breaks-away if you walk thru the cable..)

AND it saves wear and tear on the Micro USB Data/Charging port on the bottom/middle. I use this connector ONLY for data transfers/wipes.

c
    11-05-13 12:53 PM