Does anyone know how to get back the HD demo that was included on the playbook after a security wipe? I don't have a backup of my playbook on desktop manager. I remember there was a thread about it somewhere, but I couldn't find the answer.

Thanks
    05-02-11 07:21 PM
    Well, you'll have to reset your device if you want it back and it wasn't backed up.

Step 1: Connect your PlayBook to your PC via MicroUSB cable and open Desktop Manager
    Step 2: Backup your PlayBook! This install process is a CLEAN WIPE. You'll lose all data.
    Step 3: Within Desktop Manager, hit Device > Update on the menu.
    Step 4: No Update will be found. Just hit ok and go back to Desktop Manager homescreen.
    Step 5. From there, while still plugged in, Restart your PlayBook using the power button app.
    Step 6. A new popup window will appear giving you some options. Hit Update.
    Step 7: Let that baby update and you'll be on the latest software. Warning: it takes a while
    Schlymer, livejam, psiclne and 4 others like this.
    05-02-11 08:23 PM
    Thanks! That did the trick!
    05-02-11 09:31 PM
    Took me a while to find this thread. Going to give it a shot later.
    06-10-11 05:33 PM
    It the restoration of my mp3, pics and videos had not taken about 3 hours I might try it, too, to get back the Demo Video.
    06-10-11 07:08 PM
    Can one of the files managers grab it so it can be forwarded/posted?

Speaking of file managers, seeing as RIM hasn't provided this "bonus" feature, maybe I need to put some hot sauce on the bullet and bite, er buy.

Anyone got a handle on which one's the most thorough?

Galls me to buy a file manager application, but if it can save me losing data when these OS upgrade screwups require wipes and whatnot, then what the ****. After $700, what's $2 or $3?
    Magic Man 5 likes this.
    06-10-11 07:18 PM
    Wait in order to get the original Demo video back you have to do a full wipe of the device? That is how I lost the file to begin with.
    06-10-11 08:57 PM
    flyersfan:

From the note above, you need to use the Debrick procedure to get the demo video back. But that also removes all data. The Security Wipe also removed my demo video!
    06-10-11 09:39 PM
    Anyone find a file for this? This is my 5 years old's favourite video to watch!
    06-24-11 01:01 PM
    You won't get the original demo but a new shorter version of the demo gets downloaded when you do the de-brick method.

At least that's what I got.
    06-24-11 02:32 PM
    Ironic - you can't remove certain apps but come **** or high water you cannot easily get back the darn video.
    06-24-11 04:08 PM
    ok... we have a huge community of smart people out there... we need someone to step up and get this video for those of us that want it. I am a day one buyer and never got to see it as my pb was bricked on arrival...
    can anyone rise to the challenge and be a hero?! : )
    bjmc likes this.
    06-25-11 01:03 PM
    As I re-read this thread - I guess I am kind of amazed that Rim has not stepped forward on this issue. Showing that video is a huge selling point - it always impresses folks. So Rim should make it available so that we can show and sell. Someone suggested that it be available in the appworld so that it is limited to authentic users of the pb.
    06-25-11 02:21 PM
    I am in the same boat! Had to do a secuirty wipe of the PB as I had to return, only to decide to keep it.
    HD demo video is gone, no backs up as I use a MAC and no BB desktop so no back up.
    I have just spoken to RIM and they are trying to source a link for my to click and download, but as it was loaded onto the PB as a sample and not in the Hard Memory it is gone, for the time being.
    Any news your end?
    06-28-11 09:15 AM
    Well, you'll have to reset your device if you want it back and it wasn't backed up.

Step 1: Connect your PlayBook to your PC via MicroUSB cable and open Desktop Manager
    Step 2: Backup your PlayBook! This install process is a CLEAN WIPE. You'll lose all data.
    Step 3: Within Desktop Manager, hit Device > Update on the menu.
    Step 4: No Update will be found. Just hit ok and go back to Desktop Manager homescreen.
    Step 5. From there, while still plugged in, Restart your PlayBook using the power button app.
    Step 6. A new popup window will appear giving you some options. Hit Update.
    Step 7: Let that baby update and you'll be on the latest software. Warning: it takes a while
    THANK YOU so much for that, awesome solution!
    I telephoned rim pb support and after being asked to connect my pb to my mac, I had to explain it is only in beta and did not have access to it!!!!!!
    I was then instructed to check out the internet as various website and try and download a youtube videos of some dudes snow boarding!!!!! i then mentioned Crackberry and there may be a solution on there and a little later he called me back with your solution above but a shorter version that had 5 steps to it and did not make sense so I followed yours to a tee and connected my pb with latest desktop manager to A windows pc we have in the house and all is back......can i ask how did you know how to do this......just brilliant.
    Thank you so much.
    Ben Bubble likes this.
    06-28-11 03:48 PM
    THANK YOU so much for that, awesome solution!
    I telephoned rim pb support and after being asked to connect my pb to my mac, I had to explain it is only in beta and did not have access to it!!!!!!
    I was then instructed to check out the internet as various website and try and download a youtube videos of some dudes snow boarding!!!!! i then mentioned Crackberry and there may be a solution on there and a little later he called me back with your solution above but a shorter version that had 5 steps to it and did not make sense so I followed yours to a tee and connected my pb with latest desktop manager to A windows pc we have in the house and all is back......can i ask how did you know how to do this......just brilliant.
    Thank you so much.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

06-28-11 04:07 PM
    Hi there, here is the email I got back from rim after mentioning CrackBerry.
    Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support.

Here are the instructions on how to procede in order to reinstall the PlayBook OS:

Step 3. Disconnect and shut down your PlayBook using the power button app.
    Step 4. While the BlackBerry PlayBook is powered off, connect it to BlackBerry Desktop Software. A new popup window will appear giving you some options. Hit Update.
    Step 5: Let the PlayBook update and you'll be on the latest software. Warning: it takes a while.

06-28-11 04:08 PM
    This thread has spurred me to try something to recover the lost demo video. I had made a backup when I initially got the pb (april something). I did a security wipe and lost the video subsequent to that. When I did the security wipe I manually backed up but that did not include the INTERNAL demo video. So I have never employed Desktop Manager's restore function. I have no idea if the media that was backed up includes that video but I will find out in a few hours (8 gigs.) I have a feeling it will not be included. Maybe it was in apps or in settings but I did not want to restore those but I might.

Fingers crossed. I guess there is the debrick although folks have suggested that the demo video is now a smaller version and not the original. We shall see ....
    06-28-11 07:20 PM
    It will works and it is exactly like buying a new playbook as it downloads the os to the pb.....I did not have too many things on the pb apart from apps but got them back in seconds via blackberry id.
    And yes the video is the full HD which runs 2m 19s so all will be good to go.
    06-28-11 07:33 PM
    Well, that was a complete was of my time!!!! Not only did the data backup NOT restore the hd video but it also erased all of my media files that had been added since the "restoration backup had been created." In other words it does not supplement files on the playbook and add back old/missing/different, it completely overwrites the existing folders, erasing files, subfolders and anything else in its way. So now I'm doing even more restoring.

Debrick will have to wait till I have more time and patience than I have at the moment!
    Enyigma and tsells like this.
    06-28-11 10:51 PM
    Well, that was a complete was of my time!!!! Not only did the data backup NOT restore the hd video but it also erased all of my media files
    I also found that out the hard way during week 1. Lost 42gb of music files.

It would be great if the drive was partitioned so one could wipe the os without losing the media files.
    06-28-11 11:05 PM
    Well, that was a complete was of my time!!!! Not only did the data backup NOT restore the hd video but it also erased all of my media files that had been added since the "restoration backup had been created." In other words it does not supplement files on the playbook and add back old/missing/different, it completely overwrites the existing folders, erasing files, subfolders and anything else in its way. So now I'm doing even more restoring.

Debrick will have to wait till I have more time and patience than I have at the moment!
    I was tempted to try this method but I had a "hunch" that it would be a lot of effort for no return of the HD video, and I also have a lot of videos, music, and apps that I didn't want to re-download.
    I am sorry you had to spend so much time with no success, but we all owe you a big thanks for "taking this one for the team" and posting your results.
    Last edited by tellsells; 06-29-11 at 06:27 AM.
    06-29-11 06:17 AM
    I must say that as it was a new PB with hardly anything on apart from a few wallpapers, my apps from App World, I did not do a restore as I set it up from scratch.....Part of the reason is that I am waiting for the BB desktop add on for Mac/Playbook to come into play then will start loading it up with music, photos ect.
    06-29-11 07:23 AM
    I tried this method and sadly now my PB doesn't connect to DM so after my gf left tonight, I'm retrying the method because I want my stuff back and I can't connect the PB to the computer as it doesn't want to become a separate drive on Win7 or anything
    06-30-11 12:08 AM
    Anyone find a file for this? This is my 5 years old's favourite video to watch!
    Just download some Disney 1080p movies and that will change your five year olds mind.
    07-13-11 12:06 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD