I never said nor insinuated that the new iPad did have issues of it's own. But if you think that the only significant difference between the new iPad and the Playbook is the screen resolution then you are clearly delusional.

Better screen and resolution, faster CPU/GPU, better rear camera, and the biggest difference, better ecosystem. The new iPad is better. Period. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the Playbook besides it's ecosystem which is surely lacking. I have a playbook. I like the playbook. But it simply is not as good as the new iPad. Seriously, get over it and deal with facts.
    Ok you have to look at it this way...

Off the bat, I will mention that the new ipad has been released one whole year after the playbook. Also, we are talking about hardware.

The new iPad has greater screen resolution compared to ipad2. As a result of this, it NEEDS a quad core GPU, but in no way does it perform any better. Its just a means to be able to display the resolution. The CPU is exactly the same, clocked at 800mhz A5.

I can attest that different tablets don't all use the same hardware. 1gb of ram might be ok on one tablet but not on another. That being said, the playbook performs very fluidly with the hardware it has. It never will need a quad-core gpu in its current state. Neither does the ipad in its current state, if it wasn't for a bump in screen resolution.. Which also resulted in a gynormous battery with a very, very long charge time. The playbook displays 1080p just fine Btw.

This leaves the camera. Yes, they have finally reached the specs as the playbook, but decided to throw in a better lens, etc.

So you have screen resolution and camera.

I can say the PB has way better speakers and microphone (which is used more than a camera on average). No comparison here, whereas there is comparison between the cameras.

So now it finally leaves screen resolution. This really is the only thing, even between the ipad2.
    Last edited by apengue1; 04-15-12 at 02:48 PM.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    04-15-12 01:05 PM
    Wow, thanks guys, I got lots of information reading this thread.
    04-15-12 01:20 PM
    Wow! I just looked at the surface but after reading some of your posts I love my Playbook even more. The Wolfson audio element was new to me. I knew it sounded better than other tablets but I thought it was just because of the dual/front facing speakers.

Wow!
    Awesome and as Marty_LK mentioned, for an awesome price. Better specs, all the apps I need, great portability, durable as they come. Awesome tablet. It is amazing how much marketing can persuade people to buy an equivalent or even inferior product for much more.
    Marty_LK and PatrickMJS like this.
    04-15-12 08:13 PM
    Yes we all know the reason the ipad sells so well is simply because of marketing.
    kennyliu and DAnklaud like this.
    04-15-12 08:19 PM
    It's in one of the reasons. They have fantastic marketing. People want Apple products because of the way they are perceived, and their product design boosts this appeal for consumers, because their hardware looks sleek and nice. The last thing on their mind believe it or not is the ecosystem. I'm talking about the average consumer that just goes to the store to 'buy a tablet.' It just so happens that the ipad has a great ecosystem.

The major selling point in my opinion is the product appeal of the ipad, which i find directly relates to marketing. Their hardware may look nice, but they seriously overprice their products while usually giving much less, but that doesn't matter because people keep buying so they have no reason to change their business model, yet.

There's many, many factors obviously, but i think no one could argue that the ipad is very 'in' right now and that's selling lots of units.

Apple was never interested in making GREAT hardware. They just focused on making it look nice. A nice looking device is part of the consumer experience, and Apple does user experience really well. You got a good looking tablet that's very hot right now, the ecosystem gives you an equally good experience, its hot, they make you feel good about buying it, OTHER people make you feel good buying it, you have higher social status, and generally feel pretty good, which makes one forget about the flaws, cause they're just so into it by now, having an amazing experience.. Feeling like you're in heaven just like the commercials. And everything is nice up in heaven...

See the marketing there? They market what they do best: making you feel good, no matter what.
    Last edited by apengue1; 04-15-12 at 10:45 PM.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    04-15-12 10:38 PM
    comparing Same gen. hardware (2011) ,IS FAIR GAME , but 2011 v.s. 2012, well ... i think you can see what I'm getting at
    I agree with this. You cannot compare a DVD player to a VHS...If you did, lets start with rewind...wow..the DVD has chapter selection...But there was no DVD player when VHS came out.

The Beta was better than VHS, out at the same time....but VHS won because of its "ecosystem", more movies.

They PB does have great hardware. You have to consider price. A Porsche will outrun a cheap ford...but that is not a fair comparison.

The reason the PB was not a bone crushing blow to the iPad was three things. The smaller screen. RIMs lack of apps at launch and Apples name.

Much of this has been fixed. If I released a tablet with the exact specs and software as the new iPad...I couldn't beat Apple even if I sold it at half the price. THIS IS CALLED BRANDING.

The PB is selling at less than half the cost of a used iPad2. Do the math.

My thoughts. The 7" screen is fine and not as heavy. The UI is awesome and the apps are coming out everyday. It is far from obsolete by any measure. It is built very well and if it had been released like it is today you wouldn't have seen the rock bottom prices but they would've still discounted them to get them in peoples hands.

Marketing a 16GB tablet at $499, it would be hard for anyone to compete with Apple. We'll wait and see how the new PBs do against Apple and it is my opinion that #1, it is gonna have to be lower priced. #2, better be well built and better appeal to all people with a good app base at launch.

This means, they better release those apps now, which makes the old PB even better.

RIM can sell PBs at cost and make money to strengthen App World. RIM is getting them out there and people are buying apps which is giving RIM much needed cash. The result will benefit us all.
    04-16-12 10:50 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD