Update: I did a little more experimenting with Google Maps caching and it seems that the size of each cacheable area varies according to the region selected. For example, in Central Florida, I can cache a region 140x140 miles, whereas in Pennsylvania - per pacoman03's post - I can only cache much smaller areas.

Probably has something to do with map density, complexity of the road networks in each region, etc. So in the end, YMMV.

RCK
    10-31-12 10:45 AM
    Update: I did a little more experimenting with Google Maps caching and it seems that the size of each cacheable area varies according to the region selected. For example, in Central Florida, I can cache a region 140x140 miles, whereas in Pennsylvania - per pacoman03's post - I can only cache much smaller areas.

Probably has something to do with map density, complexity of the road networks in each region, etc. So in the end, YMMV.

RCK
    Yeah, I've cached Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs, which are all detail intense. And I'm running Google version 6.2, but only because every version that I've tried later than 6.2 would crash when trying to enter settings.
    10-31-12 10:54 AM
    Yeah, I've cached Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs, which are all detail intense. And I'm running Google version 6.2, but only because every version that I've tried later than 6.2 would crash when trying to enter settings.
    You definitely need to try a newer version. I'm able to cache a region roughly 80x80 miles around Philly. Here's a screenshot:

the playbook has GPS, doesnt it?-img_00000017.jpg

Question: What in the Settings panel do you actually need to access? The measurement tool? Because the offline and nav functions are all accessible without entering Settings under 6.11.1. So while it will indeed crash if I try to access that one function, I never actually use Settings so it really isn't an issue.

Again, you should really try one of the newer versions - they cache larger areas and are generally much more responsive, especially to GPS.

RCK
    10-31-12 11:32 AM
    I'll try it. You used to need to enter settings to turn on map caching, but apparently you don't with the latest version.
    10-31-12 11:57 AM
    I'll try it. You used to need to enter settings to turn on map caching, but apparently you don't with the latest version.
    Exactly. It's accessible directly from the drop down menu. Give it a whirl and let us know how you fare...

Note: I'm sticking with 6.11.1 since newer versions tend to default to the "Local" view instead of the "Maps" view. Not sure which version Koz has up on his site, but if you want the "classic" startup experience (i.e. go straight to the map view), look for 6.11.1.

RCK
    10-31-12 12:34 PM
    ya!! he may buy nexus7 if he need it. playbook is a fantastic device for many things. but the gps is a garbage ana browser is just fine, not bad. for me, it takes 30 min every time to fix my location even if I use it 5 to 10 times daily from the same location. browser is good with most of the sites but stutters heavily with heavy flash and javascript paves. for rest of things, its almost perfect. as a media device, its a beast. can handle 1080p videos like a champ. but for internet, its just so so. as a gps device, its terrible. I know, fanboys will jump at me for saying this. but that doesn't matter. its true.
    I do agree with you. nexus 7 gps works really well. so does gps on Samsung Galaxy Tab. It is fast and accurate. Playbook gps does not work well.

actually want to clarify my comment. playbook gps works very well outside. I just put playbook on dashboard and it took no time for bing maps to find my location. google maps work well too. playbook gps does not work inside like on nexus but then who needs gps inside building anyways.
    Last edited by bitek; 10-31-12 at 02:13 PM.
    Cracklen likes this.
    10-31-12 01:52 PM
    Hi guys.
    Here's my experience with playbook's GPS :
    I got a 32gb PB and the gps is quite slow to connect and find my location (I use gps test and gps program "Osmand"), sometime, in the middle of the trip it loss connection (very cloudy day). I am quite frustrated, and thinking of open the PB to replace the antenna so it can perform better.
    After some research, I know that the Playbook have a chip that do a function of receive radio frequency and serve as receiver for wifi, bluetooth and gps.
    Recently, I bought an other PlayBook ( 64gb ); after a short initial GPS setup (less than a minute, 48 seconds), it found all satellites needed to function, (same tester, same software ). After that this PlayBook can locate very fast, even inside the house.

How can you guys explain this?
    01-16-13 08:54 PM
    Well, your PlayBook is probably some sort of "i" thing... definitely not "i" as in "i"Phone, but rather "i" as intelligence... i.e. it can learn things while using it... or the common explanation on that is, you have a clear sky when you tried your 64GB PB and that satellites are within easily-reachable range... you should tried the other PB during that time to prove the common explanation...
    01-16-13 10:53 PM
    Thank you all for your posts on this subject. This thread has been very helpful to me
    02-10-13 02:39 PM
    You definitely need to try a newer version. I'm able to cache a region roughly 80x80 miles around Philly. Here's a screenshot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000017.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	124309

Question: What in the Settings panel do you actually need to access? The measurement tool? Because the offline and nav functions are all accessible without entering Settings under 6.11.1. So while it will indeed crash if I try to access that one function, I never actually use Settings so it really isn't an issue.

Again, you should really try one of the newer versions - they cache larger areas and are generally much more responsive, especially to GPS.

RCK
    Okay.. a very stupid and a n00b question, how do i cache maps??

i'm a PB rookie, so any help would be appreciated! Thanks
    02-11-13 05:15 AM
    Okay.. a very stupid and a n00b question, how do i cache maps??

i'm a PB rookie, so any help would be appreciated! Thanks
    In version 6.2 (maybe 6.3) and below of Latitude, to pre-cache map areas, you must first go into settings, then select labs, and then put a check mark next next to "Pre-cache map area". Then, you can go back to the map and tap and hold on a spot that's at the center of the area that you want to cache. A bubble will pop up- tap on it. Then a screen will pop up- tap Pre-cache map area".. Latitude will then download the map detail for the cached area for offline use. Some later versions of Latitude, as RKK noted above, allow you to cache without going into settings (they'll crash if you try to enter settings) but I don't have a later version installed so I'm not sure exactly how to do it. They also allow you to cache larger areas, but what I did find when I had a later version installed was that the larger the area that you cache, the less detail you get.
    jmd.aKBar likes this.
    02-11-13 06:10 AM
    I had a puzzling GPS issue recently. I flew to Mexico a couple of weeks ago, and on the way there I was tracking the route (with the blue arrow), speed and altitude on Osmand (free version, not sure which build number). Apparently I inadvertently deleted Osmand a few days later, and then downloaded the free version from App World, but it never seemed to be able to get a GPS lock. I also downloaded the Mexico map for Osmand after I arrived there, so I could get the details on the map instead of a big white space with a few city names (forgot to do that before I left). I can't recall now whether I did that before I inadvertently deleted the original copy of Osmand, or only after I downloaded the one from App World.

Anyway, after the reload when I hit the "where am I" button I would get a "Position not yet known" message on the map screen. I went through pretty much every menu and sub-menu in Osmand, but I couldn't get it to work, whether I was connected to a wifi signal or not. Same thing on the flight home. As soon as I got home I opened up osmand and it got a lock and showed the blue arrow, altitude, speed, etc. Today, at work, I'm getting the "Position not yet known" message again. Any ideas?
    02-11-13 12:43 PM
    The gps stores information for a certain period of time (almanac) so that it anticipates where satellites will be for that period, making acquisition faster. But if you move a great distance, that stored info is not as useful and it can take a longer time to again determine where you are. Inside a plane might or might not work - the same as being inside a building.
    02-11-13 05:34 PM
88 ... 234