There is soooo many new games coming on Playbook now. Top developers bring games to Playbook. I almost would like Playbook to be renamed Workbook so we can get more work related apps. anyways, it is great to see more and more developers supporting our platform.It is great to see that many games and apps come to playbook, especially given "bad" rim financial situation. For a "dead" company awfully many developers have decided to bring resources and support RIM platform. I think developers know something that we do not. why would they otherwise invest resources ? RIM works hard to get back to the game and win back lost BB users. I think just we do developers want to rim to succeed so there is choice and there is no Apple/Android monopoly which would be no good for us and developers at the end. It is great to see iphone and android users giving Playbook a try. Myself i know that i will get bb10 day one even without physical keyboard. I have decided to support rim this way and later on just sell the phone and get one with the physical keyboard.
    ast_ph and Gerbelpix like this.
    06-16-12 07:41 PM
    I would absolutely agree that it is in our interest as developers for a viable third platform to emerge. Most of us are watching WP8 and BB10 as the contenders there. (Most of us have no emotional attachment to either one, so whichever one wins is fine.)

We'll see. Developers are no more prescient than anyone else. We'll put our bets on both sides and see what happens. As an old C++ developer, BB10 is a more natural fit for me. For .Net guys, obviously WP8 is the better fit.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 06-16-12 at 08:07 PM. Reason: oops, meant 8.
    06-16-12 08:03 PM
    Yeah, compared to this time last year, there are so many good games on Playbook now...I still remember forking out tons for Deadspace and now there are so many options. I'm just waiting for Galaxy on Fire now!
    06-16-12 08:41 PM
    I would absolutely agree that it is in our interest as developers for a viable third platform to emerge. Most of us are watching WP8 and BB10 as the contenders there. (Most of us have no emotional attachment to either one, so whichever one wins is fine.)

We'll see. Developers are no more prescient than anyone else. We'll put our bets on both sides and see what happens. As an old C++ developer, BB10 is a more natural fit for me. For .Net guys, obviously WP8 is the better fit.
    If it's so easy get off your rump and release all of your apps already What apps are yours? Tell me so I can give you money

I'll gladly pay for more quality apps...
    06-16-12 08:52 PM
    If it's so easy get off your rump and release all of your apps already What apps are yours? Tell me so I can give you money

I'll gladly pay for more quality apps...
    BB10 isn't out yet. I'm not a game developer, so I needed Cascades for the two apps I'm working on. I'm focusing on BB10 for both Playbook and phone.

For one, I need a map API and location API which RIM is still working on. For both I also need push notifications and/or services, which RIM is also working on. So we're making progress as RIM releases more of this stuff to us.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 06-16-12 at 09:06 PM.
    06-16-12 09:03 PM
    BB10 isn't out yet. I'm not a game developer, so I needed Cascades for the two apps I'm working on. I'm focusing on BB10 for both Playbook and phone.

For one, I need a map API and location API which RIM is still working on. For both I also need push notifications and/or services, which RIM is also working on. So we're making progress as RIM releases more of this stuff to us.
    Cascades is out now right? Hit up Alec Saunders, im sure he will help you
    06-16-12 09:25 PM
    Cascades is out now right? Hit up Alec Saunders, im sure he will help you
    Oh, RIM has been very helpful which is why we are finally making progress. I have cascades now, and an alpha phone, and the other APIs we need are coming soon.

I'm targeting BB10, and so I plan to have at least two apps when BB10 ships.

After months of nothing but demos and talk from RIM, we are finally on the right track and making progress. I'm perfectly satisfied.
    kbz1960 and sk8er_tor like this.
    06-16-12 09:30 PM
    Forgive my ignorance, but with a name like "appdevopler" I assumed you did actually devolope at least one app.
    06-16-12 09:34 PM
    I feel like I should remind you all that the name is actually a reference to the notebook basebal coaches write their game strategies in... also known as playbooks.

Just mentioning... Now excuse, Lara and I have a world to save...
    kozmo68 likes this.
    06-16-12 09:36 PM
    Forgive my ignorance, but with a name like "appdevopler" I assumed you did actually devolope at least one app.
    I'm an iOS developer. I apologize for the confusion. I'll announce here when my BB10 apps are out.
    antiRIM likes this.
    06-16-12 09:37 PM
    I'm an iOS developer. I apologize for the confusion. I'll announce here when my BB10 apps are out.
    I'll gladly pay you for a quality app, as will many other pb owners. Give me a reason to spend money, please.
    06-16-12 09:44 PM
    I'll gladly pay you for a quality app, as will many other pb owners. Give me a reason to spend money, please.
    I think there will be quite a few nice apps when the PB gets BB10 in a few months. I met others at the Jam who are working on some cool stuff.

Many Business or utility type apps require APIs that are just not there in OS2, but they will be there in BB10. Meanwhile, the immersive game guys have what they need now, so I would suggest you support them. The more money they make, the more the rest of us will hear of that and the more excited we'll be when it's our turn.
    06-16-12 09:56 PM
    i like what you are saying app_developer, sounds like RIM have finally got something that developers will use. TOOK THEM LONG ENOUGH
    06-16-12 10:11 PM
    I think there will be quite a few nice apps when the PB gets BB10 in a few months. I met others at the Jam who are working on some cool stuff.

Many Business or utility type apps require APIs that are just not there in OS2, but they will be there in BB10. Meanwhile, the immersive game guys have what they need now, so I would suggest you support them. The more money they make, the more the rest of us will hear of that and the more excited we'll be when it's our turn.
    Great to hear that you are getting what is needed to get your apps to us. I am sure it was a long wait for you and Thank you for waiting patiently, also that you are satisfied with the progress of the waited api. Please keep on spreading the word to other curious ios devs. Thx
    Gerbelpix likes this.
    06-16-12 10:12 PM
    I feel like I should remind you all that the name is actually a reference to the notebook baseball coaches write their game strategies in... also known as playbooks.
    Woa Woa Woa...... You mean there are strategies to baseball? Lol

Throw ball, hit ball, catch ball.

There must not be many empty pages in those books. Hahaha
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    06-17-12 04:58 PM
    I think he meant basketball and football. They use playbooks. I mean they have "play" books. You know what i mean.
    06-17-12 05:16 PM
    Oh,

After months of nothing but demos and talk from RIM, we are finally on the right track and making progress. I'm perfectly satisfied.
    That sir is extremely encouraging to hear. Be patient little grasshoppers Nirvana awaits the faithful.
    06-17-12 05:18 PM
    I'm not a big time dev, I have a full time job in I.T. and develop in my spare time to help bring some extra income into my family, so it's a small time endeavor which ends up without a large amount of time available to it.

App_developer is definitely correct about the API support, I would like to bring my BB smartphone app (SpeedNotes) to the PlayBook but am faced with some limitations if I do decide to do so now such as no spell-check support or auto-capitalization. As the tools mature further and I've had the time available to familiarize myself with them I'm hoping to be behind the PlayBook and new BB10 phones ASAP. I already have some great ideas for productivity apps.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    06-18-12 06:47 AM
    I feel like I should remind you all that the name is actually a reference to the notebook basebal coaches write their game strategies in... also known as playbooks.

Just mentioning... Now excuse, Lara and I have a world to save...
    The tablet was still misnamed by Research In Motion. A much better name would have been BlackBerry BlackBook (BB^2 as an acronym). This is the same mistake made with the naming of BlackBerry 10 which seems to tie itself back to BlackBerry 5/6/7 in consumers' minds. BlackBerry Operating System Software (BOSS) or BlackBerry/X (BB/X) or BlackBerry iX (BiX or BBiX) and then the version is not part of the product name. Next year will we see BlackBerry 13 or BlackBerry 2013?
    06-18-12 07:38 AM
    The tablet was still misnamed by Research In Motion. A much better name would have been BlackBerry BlackBook (BB^2 as an acronym). This is the same mistake made with the naming of BlackBerry 10 which seems to tie itself back to BlackBerry 5/6/7 in consumers' minds. BlackBerry Operating System Software (BOSS) or BlackBerry/X (BB/X) or BlackBerry iX (BiX or BBiX) and then the version is not part of the product name. Next year will we see BlackBerry 13 or BlackBerry 2013?
    Personally i think Playbook should have been called Workbook because RIM is all about work. Games are for istuff
    06-18-12 09:19 AM
    Personally i think Playbook should have been called Workbook because RIM is all about work. Games are for istuff
    Or DoBook.
    06-18-12 09:26 AM
    Or DoBook.
    In my head, I read that as Dooky...I may be the only one who has made that mistake.
    06-18-12 09:48 AM
    Right now one of the things that is giving the ipad the lead over the Playbook is the Newstand app on the ipad. This app allows virtually anyone who has the right development tools (eg. Ed Dales Magcast) to put up fully interactive magazines. They can publish on any topic and include links to Youtube videos, itunes music, etc. etc.

These things look fantastic and are the fastest growing tablet appplications out there, they get loads of traffic and allow very targetted advertising, thus they are a great source of revenue. Ed Dale says all the ones he has published made money from day one. This is because the Newstand icon appears on all ipads, iphones, ipods etc. on page one.

Could someone somewhere get RIM a simiilar app? The number of users and ad revenue alone could help turn around RIM's fortunes on its own.

Just a thought.
    06-18-12 12:19 PM
    Not everyone would buy it, it's all about the money
    06-18-12 01:47 PM
    Right now one of the things that is giving the ipad the lead over the Playbook is the Newstand app on the ipad. This app allows virtually anyone who has the right development tools (eg. Ed Dales Magcast) to put up fully interactive magazines. They can publish on any topic and include links to Youtube videos, itunes music, etc. etc.

These things look fantastic and are the fastest growing tablet appplications out there, they get loads of traffic and allow very targetted advertising, thus they are a great source of revenue. Ed Dale says all the ones he has published made money from day one. This is because the Newstand icon appears on all ipads, iphones, ipods etc. on page one.

Could someone somewhere get RIM a simiilar app? The number of users and ad revenue alone could help turn around RIM's fortunes on its own.

Just a thought.
    iPad was slapping the PB around before news stand was released. I had actually considered looking into a PB when I decide to upgrade. With newsstand, iBooks 2, and countless useful third party apps (PDF Pen/Pen Pro, and I won't mention Skype) PB isn't in the running anymore. I also haven't bought a paper mag since News Stand was released, it's that good.
    06-18-12 03:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD