I dunno, I find it kind of funny that the maps always seemed to default to a location a couple of blocks away from where I used to live, 2000 miles away in Calgary. :lol:

It's great to hear that it's a software issue though.
    04-27-11 11:08 PM
    I dont mean to sound rude, but...

This forum is supposed to be a place for owners to discuss and swap tips about the device..
    couldn't agree more, and my advice is to return it while you can, just like i am going to!
    04-27-11 11:08 PM
    couldn't agree more, and my advice is to return it while you can, just like i am going to!
    And why would *I* do that?

No kidding, genuis, we can return it while we can! WOW! Great advice. How about I want to enjoy the device, even if the GPS function is flaky (for now). Some other tablet doesn't even have a GPS to start with, so...
    04-27-11 11:47 PM
    everytime i hit the blue crosshairs in bing maps to get my current location it cant find me poynt cant find me either its like the gps isnt turned on or something. is this the same problem some of you are talking about? some of you are mentioning using google maps as well and hitting the green dot... where did you find a google maps app for the playbook? i dont have one and cant find anything out there about it . thanks.
    04-29-11 09:30 PM
    I doubt people care whether it's software or hardware related, they just want it working. And I doubt the issue will be put to rest until the issue is fully resolved.
    A quality post.
    04-29-11 10:10 PM
    Pray for google to give a damn about playbook. Bing Maps = Delete

Google will be within 100-200 feet of my location on a wifi ipad, dead on with my bb app with gps and even without gps it's usually 30-90 feet on the money.

even a bb app emulator would give us access to quality stuff, i would be fine with that or android access, whichever can arrive soonest
    04-29-11 10:20 PM
    better idea? return it while you can and buy anew one when/if they fix this and the dozens of other bugs.

i love mine and also hate it. it is going back. havent decided if i'm waiting and 'buying it back' when it's fixed or just buying an ipad2
    Hey, that's great - too many stores have run out of stock because they are selling out, so i'm sure someone out there will appreciate you giving back yours! If they are lucky it will be one of really hard to find 64Gb models.
    Last edited by asherwiin; 04-29-11 at 11:37 PM.
    04-29-11 11:35 PM
    Will the GPS work without data access or will you need to have maps downloaded to your playbook?
    05-01-11 03:48 PM
    Will the GPS work without data access or will you need to have maps downloaded to your playbook?
    GPS will work but in order to download map data you will need wifi. Unless there is an application that comes out with that map data on your device, like a TomTom.
    05-01-11 04:03 PM
    GPS may work but it needs maps one way or another.

Example: Garmin installs maps so no data is required.
    Google maps needs data to download the part of the map you require for your location.

If the gps is working, any app like a compass that gets location from satellites will give your long/lat but that info is useless without a map to put it on.
    Last edited by frfghtr; 05-01-11 at 04:07 PM.
    05-01-11 04:05 PM
    Pray for google to give a damn about playbook. Bing Maps = Delete

Google will be within 100-200 feet of my location on a wifi ipad, dead on with my bb app with gps and even without gps it's usually 30-90 feet on the money.

even a bb app emulator would give us access to quality stuff, i would be fine with that or android access, whichever can arrive soonest
    no

bing maps = delete = forced redownload
    05-01-11 04:11 PM
    GPS may work but it needs maps one way or another.

Example: Garmin installs maps so no data is required.
    Google maps needs data to download the part of the map you require for your location.

If the gps is working, any app like a compass that gets location from satellites will give your long/lat but that info is useless without a map to put it on.
    Good to know. Now, knowing how those GPS companies are, the maps won't be the cheapest thing to buy.
    05-01-11 04:17 PM
    Good to know. Now, knowing how those GPS companies are, the maps won't be the cheapest thing to buy.
    Garmin makes a bb app for $100 and updates for their handhelds are 50-100.

With my last Garmin, I purchased the lifetime maps for about $90. This gives me 4 updates a year for the life of the product. That's not a bad deal.
    05-01-11 04:38 PM
    I wonder if my Playbook is smart enough to cheat and ask my Bold for its GPS location when they're bridged?
    05-01-11 05:34 PM
    From what I've read, there is no ability for a BB phone to send out its gps readings.

The Garmin BB phone app does not include maps - that app needs access to data to compute route and present maps.

I would like what I'll call hard maps even if they go out of date.
    05-01-11 07:07 PM
    Hey All,

Ok, so I reached out to RIM right away on the GPS issues. I'm still waiting to get a more "official to post on the homepage" explanation back on it, but here's the deal so far as it's been relayed to me which I can pass on here:

It is not a hardware problem. RIM has now found the issue which is software related and IT WILL BE FIXED SHORTLY.

So let that put the GPS threads to rest here. Post back to this thread if anybody asks about it elsewhere. And if you've been thinking about returning your PlayBook because the GPS hasn't been working, just hold onto it. It'll all be good soon.

Will report more info as I get it.

Kevin
    been on the phone with RIM for and hour now. A RIM tech supervisor is telling me that the PlayBook does NOT support GPS - UNBELIEVABLE. They need to get it together over there at RIM.
    Last edited by T_Touch; 05-03-11 at 05:58 PM.
    05-03-11 04:52 PM
    Bing maps will get me within about 10-15 miles from my location, a little awkward, might try a hard reset soon.
    05-03-11 05:56 PM
    Bing maps will get me within about 10-15 miles from my location, a little awkward, might try a hard reset soon.
    Bing got me one house away just about 10 minutes ago. Sometimes on the next street. It does seem to fluctuate more than my other gps using devices which are usually within the footprint of my lot. Poynt is "finding" me on the next corner south.
    05-03-11 06:50 PM
    I wonder out of all those free PB's RIM gave away at the conference if any of them have GPS issues. Hey, Kevin, do you or your other colleagues who presumably got free PBs are you're GPSs' working?

On another note has anyone tried just doing a complete OS wipe and reinstall to see if this fixes the GPS issue. I am getting really frustrated with this!!
    05-05-11 01:24 PM
    Is this issue fixed yet? I really need the GPS to work for my intended use.
    05-05-11 02:51 PM
    The gps works. Sometimes I have to open/close Bing one or two times but it does generally come close to my house (I use it in the second floor with a shingle roof.)
    05-05-11 03:14 PM
    hey everyone,

Has this been resolved yet? My GPS still cant find me on my playbook.

cheers
    05-15-11 02:39 AM
    Have you been outdoors in a pretty wide-open area where you can sit for 10-20 minutes to allow the gps to really "see" the sky and assemble its almanac of satellites? Give that a shot. Also, you can download the free Compass app which some folks find helps the gps settle in - again, it can take some time. The Compass app is a bit limited as it is only Metric and gives some values as exponential numbers but it appears to be better at locking in location.

Be warned once you download any app, if you delete it, it will still, so far, always appear on a list of deleted apps. Some folks would like that list to empty but so far it does not. It does not take up memory but its name appears.
    dcburke789 likes this.
    05-15-11 08:52 AM
    Anyone who buys a Playbook and actually uses it will very quickly understand that the Playbook is a totally different type of tablet than the Ipad and Ipad2. They are so different that they serve totally different needs. Obviously these trolls wouldn't know that because they've never used the Playbook. People who want to sit at home using a 10 inch screen to view videos, search the web, and play 3d games will definitely want an Ipad. Although I can't figure out why they would want to downgrade their at-home entertainment experience when they already have a 20inch Mac for web stuff and a PS3/Xbox/WII for gaming & video streaming to their large screen led TV. Is such redundancy worth an extra $600?

On the other hand, there's everyone else who need a device powerful enough to actually get things done when on the go while also having robust entertainment capabilities with an ultra crisp and large display. The Playbook easily delivers. Take a look in any coffee shop like Starbucks. You won't see anyone using an Ipad. Everyone is working on their laptops. Now that the Playbook is out, you'll start seeing people working with Playbooks.

Bye then, dont let the door hit you in the **** on the way out...
    I dont mean to sound rude, but I, and i am sure many others, am getting a little fed up of the posts along the line of "Buying my PlayBooks was the worst idea since Abraham Lincoln decided to have a night at the theatre.... I am taking it back and signing my soul over to His Steveness"

This forum is supposed to be a place for owners to discuss and swap tips about the device, but a large number of posts recently seem to be following exactly the opposite path, and to be honest it is making visits to the forums less appealing.

I purchased my PlayBook knowing full well that it was a first generation release in a totally new product area for RIM. I knew there would be flaws and bugs, and to be honest there are less than I expected and the vast majority of them can and will be fixed by a software update in the not too distant future.

I think my PlayBook was a very good purchase, I am enjoying it thoroughly, and I am looking forward to additional functionality and refinements that are sure to come down the line.

Ok, rant over... I need a beer....

On a side note, thanks to Kevin for taking the time to follow up with RIM on the status of the GPS, as it does seem to be hit and miss... now we have a definitive answer and we can get on with our lives.....
    05-21-11 11:55 PM
    Okay, so how long are we all willing to wait for RIM to either acknowledge that there is a serious GPS issue and/or just provide us with a fix that allows the device to do what we paid for. As RIM markets the PB as "Portable" one would think that having a functional GPS would be a significant feature. I am totally frustrated at this point because this device totally meets my needs yet falls short on this one issue. So where is the fix? Kevin any news on this or has all been forgotten by RIM.
    05-22-11 06:42 PM
81 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD