12-28-11 04:37 PM
30 12
tools
    I'd like to extend the thanks buzz, your app is a charm for aligning my cgem!
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    12-28-11 01:55 PM
    is it me or is Megellan Compass hard to use as a GPS? I have not purchased it yet and still running the trial version. Is that my problem?
    12-28-11 02:26 PM
    is it me or is Megellan Compass hard to use as a GPS? I have not purchased it yet and still running the trial version. Is that my problem?
    It works well for me. Could you be more specific about the problem(s) that you are having?
    12-28-11 02:50 PM
    It works well for me. Could you be more specific about the problem(s) that you are having?
    sure

I was looking for GPS navigation, and wondering why all posts asking for GPS point to Megellan Compass. It's the best option though, and I'm happy they're working on an offline version. It locks GPS locator fairly well, so I'm very encouraged PB can eventually be used as GPS.

I was just hoping the paid version "unlocks" those GPS navigation features, because from what I can tell the Trial version is not GPS navigation. Please clarify, if nothing else, what's unlocked in Full version. It's not very clear from AppWorld. or is it just a full 7-day trial?
    12-28-11 03:55 PM
    sure

I was looking for GPS navigation, and wondering why all posts asking for GPS point to Megellan Compass. It's the best option though, and I'm happy they're working on an offline version. It locks GPS locator fairly well, so I'm very encouraged PB can eventually be used as GPS.

I was just hoping the paid version "unlocks" those GPS navigation features, because from what I can tell the Trial version is not GPS navigation. Please clarify, if nothing else, what's unlocked in Full version. It's not very clear from AppWorld. or is it just a full 7-day trial?
    Thanks - I was confused by your use of the term "GPS" - there seems to be two meanings - the narrow meaning - "the GPS chip and basic API" and the much broader meaning - "Full featured navigation system using GPS".

You mean the latter so I think that I can help clear things up a little bit. First thing is that Magellan uses Google services/APIs for displaying maps and directions. It uses Yelp for local searches, for example if you are looking for restaurants or other businesses. For me it does a somewhat better job than Bing in displaying your location on the map and tracking your position as you move around the planet. I think the GPS API on the PB is a bit finicky and it seems to me that Bing doesn't handle the signals from the chip as well. But the difference is marginal at best and I they may be in my imagination only. Trying to benchmark "GPS" performance is just not practical given the multitude of variables.

Magellan does not, as of today, have voice turn-by-turn routing or offline map capability.

The trial version of Magellan Compass is full-featured but time limited. This means that what you see in the trial is what you get in the paid version.

For my tastes, I like Poynt better for local searches because it is tighly integrated with the Poynt app on my 9700. I like to be able to tap a button on the PB and dial a call or open Google maps on my phone. But everyone has a different opinion.

When you are analyzing which app is best for you, you should try to resist using the term "GPS" to mean other than the narrow definition. In addition, with the state of apps on the PB, it is probably best not to accept ANYONE's advice (including mine) without checking the information out for yourself. When someone claims that they have a solution to satisfy all needs, red flags should go up. In the end, your final solution will probably be a combination of apps with different strengths and weaknesses.
    jafobabe, FF22 and peter9477 like this.
    12-28-11 04:37 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD