In an ever enduring quest to enhance my playbook I checked out this new $35.00 unit.

Currently I run a 25' Hdmi cord to put the PB on the big screen.

Whatja all think of this unit?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...ticle13397106/
    07-24-13 06:50 PM
    07-24-13 06:57 PM
    Looks great, for $35 I'll be getting one to see what it can do.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 06:59 PM
    I don't think you will have much luck. It requires services like Netflix and Google playstore. YouTube might work.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 07:01 PM
    says its app driven so not much love for pb at this time and not available in the great white north. Guess ill be paying duty again
    07-24-13 07:08 PM
    It's very limited in its capabilities, so far it can only work with Ios and Android devies, chrome browser on mac or windows, and apple tablets/android tablets. Android 4.3 and higher or IOS 6 and higher are required. The only things you can do are stream a tab from chrome, youtube, netflix, and videos/music/photos from Google play store.

BUT they did give out the SDK for developers to incorporate it into their apps AND Google said that if they see more users for blackberry then they would consider developing for blackberry. So right now it won't work, but if you add 1 and 1 together, we the crackberry community might see Google adding BlackBerry to the compatible software least (in the future).

Posted from Q10 and CB10.
    Cynycl likes this.
    07-24-13 07:08 PM
    I don't think you will have much luck. It requires services like Netflix and Google playstore. YouTube might work.

Posted via CB10
    Oh yes, I'm waiting for the nexus to be orderable from Canada too.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 07:13 PM
    Do you know if there is a win8 app coming? I can't seem to find that or will it be just an add on for chrome browser?
    07-24-13 07:15 PM
    Ya chrome cast in Canada doesn't yet to look to be p

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 07:28 PM
    Ya chrome cast in Canada doesn't yet to look to be p

Posted via CB10

Huh?
    07-25-13 12:18 AM
    It requires Android 2.3, not 4.3. So, if you can sideload Google Play Music you might be able to play music through it, if you can subscribe to the service. I don't think it works with locally-stored music at least as I understand it now. Maybe you could get the other apps too, like the TV & Video one or Pandora. I don't really know how that stuff works on the Playbook, whether you can set up a Google Wallet and subscribe to things.
    07-25-13 01:42 AM
    Huh?
    yoda he is.
    07-25-13 01:43 AM
    It requires Android 2.3, not 4.3. So, if you can sideload Google Play Music you might be able to play music through it, if you can subscribe to the service. I don't think it works with locally-stored music at least as I understand it now. Maybe you could get the other apps too, like the TV & Video one or Pandora. I don't really know how that stuff works on the Playbook, whether you can set up a Google Wallet and subscribe to things.
    The playing of content apparently comes directly from the web through the wifi and the tablet or computer is apparently only functioning as a remote controller. App is available in Google Play. Three free months of Netflix come with the dongle when it arrives. Basically the dongle is making most new TVs into sort of smart TVs. Reasonable internet speeds will be required.
    07-25-13 02:02 AM
    Less than 24 hours, sold out most places and now folks are bidding over $100 on ebay to get one. I hope they made a gazillion of these and they get it to Canada quick. May have to look at one of these with the new nexus 7 combo pack for streaming video to the TV.

So sad that Playbook won't be working with this unit.
    07-25-13 09:00 AM
    using the smartphone to power a tv dongle is a pain in the neck because it uses the smartphone battery so now you are having to hook the smartphone up to power to keep it going as well as hook up the dongle up to power somehow. Easier to just use a roku and it has a lot more content. The google thingy sold out of the playstore in a half hour, probably google did not make that many as it knows it is not worth much until developers build for it.

Its nice that you can use the chrome browser but that is like using silk on amazon in the fact that that google is tracking and therefore can potentially control the ad experience and other things down the road. So better to hook up a 15 foot HDMI cord to the playbook and use origami or fast browser to mimic any browser including playing amazon prime videos when away from home.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    07-25-13 10:19 AM
    using the smartphone to power a tv dongle is a pain in the neck because it uses the smartphone battery so now you are having to hook the smartphone up to power to keep it going as well as hook up the dongle up to power somehow. Easier to just use a roku and it has a lot more content. The google thingy sold out of the playstore in a half hour, probably google did not make that many as it knows it is not worth much until developers build for it.

Its nice that you can use the chrome browser but that is like using silk on amazon in the fact that that google is tracking and therefore can potentially control the ad experience and other things down the road. So better to hook up a 15 foot HDMI cord to the playbook and use origami or fast browser to mimic any browser including playing amazon prime videos when away from home.
    but it doesnt use the smart phone. Once you "send" the content to the TV the source isnt doing the lifting. All the data is streamed over wifi to the Chromecast and not your source device
    07-25-13 10:51 AM
    but it doesnt use the smart phone. Once you "send" the content to the TV the source isnt doing the lifting. All the data is streamed over wifi to the Chromecast and not your source device
    If** and when this will accept local media "casting" perhaps with something like vlc player, it will be very cool. I do fear that if this catches on like I believe it will that Google will completely screw it up with ads that want to make you throw something through the big screen tv.

$35.00 just turned into a few hundred and a trip to Best Buy.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 07-25-13 at 11:36 AM.
    07-25-13 11:01 AM
    so you can turn off your phone and it still works?
    07-25-13 11:27 AM
    yeah i believe so for some applications
    07-25-13 11:37 AM
    Yes once the dongle takes over you can use your phone for whatever you like or shut it off. At that point the phone, tablet, ect is only a remote control.

See that Bestbuy is out online but they are showing up in the brick and motar stores in Michigan. May need to take a trip across the ditch
    07-25-13 11:37 AM
    If** and when this will accept local media "casting" perhaps with something like vlc player, it will be very cool. I do fear that if this catches on like I believe it will that Google will completely screw it up with ads that want to make you throw something through the big screen tv.

$35.00 just turned into a few hundred and a trip to Best Buy.
    I've seen reports that using the Chrome extension you can play local files from your PC, or watch videos from any website. So in that case, it does seem more like a screen mirroring mode. I don't know if it works from a phone or tablet though.
    07-25-13 12:26 PM
    I've read recent reports on WSJ hat google 2Q ad revenues from mobile did not meet expectations (even though still growing nicely). So my guess is they want to find a way to turn mobile use into something they can track and serve ads to by having users adopt their browser as the one of choice as it also works for chromecast or something like that; who knows, maybe down the road they will serve ads next to the netflix content or whatever.
    07-25-13 12:57 PM
    You can even leave your house and go somewhere else. It will supposedly work with android tablets such as the Nexus 7. Don't have the dongle yet but think I'll down load the app and see what it says.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-25-13 01:22 PM
    Here is a link url.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...es/chromecast/

It comes with Netflix, You Tube and Google Play Movies and TV apps enabled.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-25-13 01:33 PM
    The chrome tab mirroring is what interests me
    Carl Estes likes this.
    07-25-13 04:56 PM
28 12