I am neither Playbook apologist nor Blackberry evangelist, but I must say I'm surprised how well the Playbook stands up compared to Google's Nexus tablet, announced today. Or maybe I'm surprised the Nexus isn't better.

Evidently Google's releasing the Nexus in Q3, almost two full years after the Playbook's release. Its 16G version will go for $250, a $50 premium over the Playbook's 16G version.

Phonearena.com has a hardware side-by-side of the two. The Nexus has what's likely a significantly faster quadcore processor, slightly better screen resolution and probably better battery life, and those are important, but the Playbook matches or beats it on almost every other spec. More supported media formats, flash support and microHDMI support to start.

I was expecting the Playbook would be blown out of the water after two years, but at current pricing I think it holds up pretty well. Meanwhile Gizmodo is gushing all over the Nexus while continuing to dismiss the Playbook out of hand. Fashion.

Dave
    Last edited by Phylth; 06-27-12 at 04:52 PM.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    06-27-12 04:49 PM
    dont forget the 1.2 mp camera
    06-27-12 04:51 PM
    But at this point, Nexus 7 runs 4.1 Jelly Bean, which is a way more complete OS compared to Tablet OS on PlayBook now. Could easily change with BB10.

But as of now, Nexus 7 is a more "complete" tablet.
    randomact45 likes this.
    06-27-12 04:53 PM
    Hmm. I don't think the PlayBook holds up too well against the new Nexus, to be honest. A lot of the "bought a playbook because it was heavily discounted" crowd (like me) are probably wondering whether to ebay their playbook to finance a nexus 7 purchase or to sit it out and see if more developers jump on board the playbook & bb10 bandwagon.

The hardware extras on the playbook (a higher res front camera that never gets used because of a lack of messaging apps, a back camera which is almost useless indoors) really pale into significance compared to all those lovely applications the have over in androidland.

C'mon RIM, we need some killer apps to demonstrate that there is still life in the beast!!!
    06-27-12 05:49 PM
    I've been thinking exactly the same this evening - I paid 100 UK pounds for an unused Playbook on eBay and I like it, especially since 2.1.

It's a tough one but I think I'm keeping the Playbook, at least for now. I think I'd miss not being able to use HDMI.

I just wish they'd get USB host working on Playbook and update the browser. Android apps behave much better on 2.1 but there is still some room for improvement.

We should all be glad of the arrival of the Nexus - it gets the competition going which can only be a good thing for consumers. I expect prices will drop across the board and everyone will need to up their game to stay in business.
    thedark722 and rexrim like this.
    06-27-12 06:07 PM
    You know when I read threads like this 2 things come to my mind:

- technology and brands are always changing, there's always something 'new' or 'better' out there compared to the specs of the 'item' I've got (and golly gosh I don't even memorise the specs of items I've got)

- that I'm very happy with my choice of purchase and I'm not interested in being manipulated by members of this Forum or advertisers that I NEED or MUST HAVE anything other than what I've already got.

Keeping up with the Jones' was never my cup of tea .....
    yvrbs, Cracklen, homer1475 and 6 others like this.
    06-27-12 06:07 PM
    You know when I read threads like this 2 things come to my mind:

- technology and brands are always changing, there's always something 'new' or 'better' out there compared to the specs of the 'item' I've got (and golly gosh I don't even memorise the specs of items I've got)

- that I'm very happy with my choice of purchase and I'm not interested in being manipulated by members of this Forum or advertisers that I NEED or MUST HAVE anything other than what I've already got.

Keeping up with the Jones' was never my cup of tea .....
    The real story today wasn't nexus 7 it's nexus q there wifi set top cloud hub designed to rival apple tv. Hdmi connectivity is nice for mirroring but it doesn't rival AirPlay. I was surprised when bb music hub came out they didn't make it capable of wireless video instead of being only audio.
    rexrim likes this.
    06-27-12 06:55 PM
    After reading up on the Nexus 7 I don't feel any desire to go out and grab one when they become available in July. With OS 2.1, my Playbook now runs Android apps well enough to give me the best of both worlds. And as for build quality, I seriously doubt an el cheapo ASUS device will match up well against the PB's tank like construction.

Give me Skype, RIM, and I will die happy.

RCK
    rexrim likes this.
    06-27-12 06:58 PM
    I could never go for the nexus over the playbook .

first off the camera on the playbook will blow away the nexus and second off BLACKBERRY10!!! is coming to this tablet...HELLO!?
    rexrim and BB_Bmore like this.
    06-27-12 07:16 PM
    I could never go for the nexus over the playbook .

first off the camera on the playbook will blow away the nexus and second off BLACKBERRY10!!! is coming to this tablet...HELLO!?
    Not only that, but the PB hardware is vastly superior to the Nexus 7 except for the display and CPU. The PB has some very high-end components like the Wolfson DAC and high quality cameras, gyro and a magnetic charging port.

The Nexus 7 is a nice device and should do some serious damage to the Kindle Fire, but a PB competitor, it is not. And, like you said, when BB10 gets here with all that it will bring on the OS, UI and app front, life will be sweet. Add a BB10 phone to the mix and "sweet" will have a cherry on top.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    06-27-12 07:26 PM
    Nexus 7 is built to a $200 price. PlayBook was built to a higher price but sold for $200.

Nexus 7 is designed as a content and advertisment consumption device. BB10 is supposed to be the ultimate communications device (let's see if it becomes this).

Google keeps working at Android and each generation is better than the one before it. I still prefer Playbook OS and hope that BB10 will be everything that I hope it will be.

There is still a market for the kind of device that RIM is planning. It better get here soon because RIM's time is running out.
    kevinnugent, Marty_LK and eth555 like this.
    06-27-12 07:37 PM
    I really dont see the difference in cpu being much as an issue.
    The fact that linux/Android needs that much cpu horsepower to compete and run effectively, should be a wakeup call to how well and effecient QNX/Playbook OS operates.
    06-27-12 07:47 PM
    I am neither Playbook apologist nor Blackberry evangelist, but I must say I'm surprised how well the Playbook stands up compared to Google's Nexus tablet, announced today. Or maybe I'm surprised the Nexus isn't better.

Evidently Google's releasing the Nexus in Q3, almost two full years after the Playbook's release. Its 16G version will go for $250, a $50 premium over the Playbook's 16G version.

Phonearena.com has a hardware side-by-side of the two. The Nexus has what's likely a significantly faster quadcore processor, slightly better screen resolution and probably better battery life, and those are important, but the Playbook matches or beats it on almost every other spec. More supported media formats, flash support and microHDMI support to start.

I was expecting the Playbook would be blown out of the water after two years, but at current pricing I think it holds up pretty well. Meanwhile Gizmodo is gushing all over the Nexus while continuing to dismiss the Playbook out of hand. Fashion.

Dave

how is july 2012 when N7 starts shipping almost 2 years from april 2010 when PB started shipping? It's one year three months... i wonder sometimes
    06-27-12 07:49 PM
    Not only that, but the PB hardware is vastly superior to the Nexus 7 except for the display and CPU. The PB has some very high-end components like the Wolfson DAC and high quality cameras, gyro and a magnetic charging port.

The Nexus 7 is a nice device and should do some serious damage to the Kindle Fire, but a PB competitor, it is not. And, like you said, when BB10 gets here with all that it will bring on the OS, UI and app front, life will be sweet. Add a BB10 phone to the mix and "sweet" will have a cherry on top.
    of course it's superior to N7, the frigging playbook is a 700 dollar device and it was built that way on the high end. Thats like comparing a lepan tablet to an ipad, one was built high end the other wasn't.
    06-27-12 07:50 PM
    Someone made a comment about the poor indoor quality of the rear camera. Personally, my experience with the playbook's rear camera and video has been nothing but awesome!!. I video hockey games all the time without a flash and it works really well. Pictures are so clear and the lighting is true to the rink's lighting. At home, outdoors, anywhere, I have to say photo and video quality is second to none.
    anon(3641385) and rexrim like this.
    06-27-12 07:54 PM

Dave

You do realize when the PB16gb was released, it was 499.00 right? It was designed to be a 500 tablet and not 250...
    06-27-12 08:01 PM
    When will people learn that having the best specs mean almost nothing?
    If specs were the only thing that sold a device, the Playbook would have destroyed the iPad 2.

Google has two huge things that Blackberry lacks:
    A huge user base AND a huge ecosystem.

Forget the specs; if Google looks after this thing, it will dwarf the Playbook in its first week of sales.
    06-27-12 08:25 PM
    Outselling another product does not make it a better product.
    I don't think anyone is under the illusion the Nexus won't outsell the Playbook.
    Last edited by Angus_CB; 06-27-12 at 08:34 PM.
    06-27-12 08:28 PM
    how is july 2012 when N7 starts shipping almost 2 years from april 2010 when PB started shipping? It's one year three months... i wonder sometimes
    You should really double check your critisms.
    July 2012 is 27 months after April 2010. Yes I know you meant April 2011.
    Anyway, July 2012 isn't the scheduled release date for the Nexus, it's Q3 2012 which is anywhere from July to the end of September. Probably somewhere in the middle.
    06-27-12 08:34 PM
    Outselling another product does not make it a better product.
    I don't think anyone is under the illusion the Nexxus won't outsell the Playbook.
    As a company, you measure the success of your product on sales. There is no other useful metric.

That said, you're right, outselling doesn't necessarily make it better.
    And what I was saying is: better specs do not make a better device.
    06-27-12 08:34 PM
    As a company, you measure the success of your product on sales. There is no other useful metric.

That said, you're right, outselling doesn't necessarily make it better.
    And what I was saying is: better specs do not make a better device.
    Yes, I agree with you there. Better specs don't mean a lot especially when each device is using a completely different OS.

What I meant about sales was, there is a history of technically better devices being discarded for inferior technology. Beta vs VHS is probably the most well known.
    06-27-12 08:53 PM
    Anyway, July 2012 isn't the scheduled release date for the Nexus, it's Q3 2012 which is anywhere from July to the end of September. Probably somewhere in the middle.
    Google Play store shows the N7 shipping in 2-3 weeks, which is mid July.

https://play.google.com/store/device...id=nexus_7_8gb
    06-27-12 10:01 PM
    When will people learn that having the best specs mean almost nothing?
    If specs were the only thing that sold a device, the Playbook would have destroyed the iPad 2.

Google has two huge things that Blackberry lacks:
    A huge user base AND a huge ecosystem.

Forget the specs; if Google looks after this thing, it will dwarf the Playbook in its first week of sales.
    This... bottom line.

LOL at the specs chest thumping. It's funny when Android folks do it, and it is funny here. Specs mean NOTHING in the long run.
    06-27-12 10:04 PM
    This... bottom line.

LOL at the specs chest thumping. It's funny when Android folks do it, and it is funny here. Specs mean NOTHING in the long run.
    I was thinking the same thing. I find it hilarious that multiple cores are used as a sales tactic for PC's because most consumer apps aren't even going to take advantage. But, a PC is plugged in at all times for the most part and I wonder how well the battery will be on the N7 during even mild-average use.

But, since people just want "the most"/"the best"/"the fastest" it's all just about the specs... For whatever they're worth in excess.

EDIT: I may not know what I'm talking about as far as the cores go, so clarification would be appreciated over ANY blow-hardy responses.
    06-27-12 10:32 PM
    I was thinking the same thing. I find it hilarious that multiple cores are used as a sales tactic for PC's because most consumer apps aren't even going to take advantage. But, a PC is plugged in at all times for the most part and I wonder how well the battery will be on the N7 during even mild-average use.

But, since people just want "the most"/"the best"/"the fastest" it's all just about the specs... For whatever they're worth in excess.

EDIT: I may not know what I'm talking about as far as the cores go, so clarification would be appreciated over ANY blow-hardy responses.
    My ASUS Transformer Tablet has the same Quad-core Tegra 3 SoC and it isn't bad at all for battery life...depending what I do with it. It's not as good as an iPad but seems to be as good as the PB.
    06-27-12 10:56 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD