I'm a playbook newbee... Is anyone using google maps? I read about 6.11.1 being used, but I can't find a bar file? Is there such a thing, and if not, what do you use to access the gps capability? (I want to use the playbook for walking around Venice and Florence on an upcoming trip. Thanks. Anita
    03-04-13 02:36 PM
    Step 1. You need to know how to sideload apps on the PlayBook, you can information on how to do it in the android app sideloading forums or you can search for it on google.

Step 2. You can find BAR files for many apps including Google Maps from the goodereader website.

Step 3. You can even Cache some areas using Maps(-) also available on goodereader website.
    anitajj likes this.
    03-04-13 03:03 PM
    Bing Maps work OK, perhaps not as good as Google maps! Dont forget the screen wont stay on, you will have to swipe now and then to reactivate the screen. One of the down sides of trying to use a satnav prog on the playbook.
    anitajj likes this.
    03-04-13 03:16 PM
    Thanks much. I did manage to learn to sideload. So I will try to find the Google maps app at goodreader. Thanks for the help.
    03-04-13 05:04 PM
    Thanks. I'll give bing a try too. I see talk here of bb users using bbmaps but seems unavailable for the pb?
    03-04-13 05:06 PM
    03-04-13 05:10 PM
    Any version of Google Maps later than 6.2 or maybe 6.3 will crash when you enter settings, which you may need or want to do. So if you can't get 6.11 to work as you want, you may want to go back to 6.2.
    anitajj likes this.
    03-04-13 06:58 PM
    You will probably need a map program that caches maps otherwise you will need a wifi or data (expensive?) to get mapping data while out walking. Also, you might want to test in advance as using the gps might deplete the battery.

NOGAGO Map is available from appworld and does cache maps, so you can download them in advance and not need a data/wifi connection.
    anitajj likes this.
    03-04-13 07:31 PM
    Thanks... I'm ready to sideload the googlemaps 6.3.0 that I find on the list...
    03-04-13 07:57 PM
    NOGAGO Map is available from appworld and does cache maps, so you can download them in advance and not need a data/wifi connection.
    Thanks for suggesting NOGAGO. I hadn't heard of that. I'm ready to try googlemaps 6.3.0. Does that allow caching of maps? I tried bing a few minutes ago and can't get it to locate me. It gives up. (I'm out in the driveway, no tall buildings around, within wifi range of the house) I hope I have better luck with another mapping program.
    03-04-13 08:00 PM
    6.2 definitly allows you to cache maps, and 6.3 may allow this. To cache maps, you first need to go into settings (swipe from top)- if 6.3 doesn't crash, you're set- then select Labs, then check the box Pre-Cache map area. Then, go back to the map, press and hold on a spot on the map, and then tap on the bubble that pops up, and then select Pre-Cache map area.
    anitajj likes this.
    03-04-13 08:09 PM
    Another good one that caches is osmand.
    anitajj likes this.
    03-04-13 09:40 PM
    There is an app in Blackberry world called GPS TEST this will get you your coordinates. I had to use it because initially I thought my GPS doesn't work, but actually it does, it only needs some time under the open sky .. about ten minutes for the first time.

Once you get your coordinates via this app, Open Google Maps and it should be able to lock into your location fairly quickly.

Maps(-) is also an android port, it allows me to cache any place at any zoom level for google maps.
    anitajj likes this.
    03-05-13 12:31 AM
    You will pay through the nose for data if you use Google Maps the way the OP suggested.
    anitajj likes this.
    03-05-13 07:11 AM
    thanks pacoman. I will try to find a bar file for 6.2. all i've found so far is 6.4 (on the list of 143 apps on a list on crackberry) but i get a -104 static code when i try to install it with ddpb, so hopefully i'll find 6.2 somewhere (anyone know where?) which sounds more stable.
    03-06-13 07:20 AM
    thanks schiri... you say I will "pay thru the nose" if I use google maps the way I suggest... can you please expand on that. I understand that I can cache maps at the wifi spot and then take a walk around without having to pay a penny to dataplans. Or are you suggesting another kind of payment. thanks much.(i have a wifi only pb anyway)
    03-06-13 07:23 AM
    thanks qaxi for pointing to this app to get the gps coordinates. I'll try that today. I couldn't get coordinates in my driveway with bing maps, so maybe by first getting the coordinates out in open sky, then even bing maps will function properly. I assume this app doesn't need wifi range, so I can get farther out in the open away from the house (and wifi).
    03-06-13 07:25 AM
    it doesnt need wifi but it needs some time esp for the first time
    03-06-13 07:32 AM
    thanks qaxi for pointing to this app to get the gps coordinates. I'll try that today. I couldn't get coordinates in my driveway with bing maps, so maybe by first getting the coordinates out in open sky, then even bing maps will function properly. I assume this app doesn't need wifi range, so I can get farther out in the open away from the house (and wifi).
    6.11.1 is still your best bet if you can find the bar. Newer versions have a hard time locking GPS, while older versions don't handle caching quite as well. I try every new version that appears in the Google Play Store on my Acer tablet (the advantage of knowing how to convert the apk file directly) and I always end up going back to 6.11.1.

RCK

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD
    anitajj likes this.
    03-06-13 07:53 AM