Perhaps you should hike downhill. Could be you're doing it wrong
    Could you lot please show some decorum for the OP problems and stay on topic. My god I get berated for derailing threads.

Anyway in an effort to test this theory I have been testing all three of my routers with this newfound 28 digit security code and I also am suffering the same problem as the op, it just doesn't work. The last time I came across this problem was with a 200 user router (not wifi) with rj45 connectors. There was one security login for admin that let's you configure the router but their was also another login that actually allowed you to setup new configurations withing the router. It was a very long code but I can't remember if it was 28 characters. I know it was case sensitive and would never allow me to login unless I had my briefcase with me. I will make a call and see what I can find out for this poor suffering member.
    06-08-13 08:26 AM
    wait a moment .......take a step back.......relax........a 28 digit security key.....no one is out to get you.
    i have a 28 bit security key...How do we know that you're not being forced to say that? Hmm?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-08-13 08:33 AM
    why not change the key to something much shorter?

then add a fixed ip for the playbook. works for me
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-08-13 09:43 AM
    why not change the key to something much shorter?

then add a fixed ip for the playbook. works for me
    agreed, I have a 10 character alphanumaric case sensitive password no one will guess that
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-08-13 09:46 AM
    i have a 28 bit security key...How do we know that you're not being forced to say that? Hmm?
    not to mention if someone really wanted in your wifi they could boot up into red hat linux or any distro for that matter and do a brute force attack. sure if the password is say 28 characters long it might take a little over an hour vs say 20 mins but your password is not as secure as any other password really
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-08-13 09:48 AM
    That's surprising they won't do anything, especially since it has history. Maybe you have to hit the right rep. Wonder if a security wipe would do anything...
    It's not that they didn't do anything, and neither am I upset with the service I got, but the problems still exist and are getting worse. The first time I sent it in it was returned "no fault found", the second time the issue, dumping of WiFi profiles, was indeed fixed but returned about 3 weeks later. As I depend on my PlayBook for business presentations I couldn't return my PlayBook a third time and lose it for another indeterminate amount of time, I was OK with it providing I could do my job. By the time to camera crapped out it was out of warranty.
    06-08-13 10:17 AM
    wait a moment .......take a step back.......relax........a 28 digit security key.....no one is out to get you.
    It's the one that was supplied to me by my IP. I used to be able to use one I created myself but since then I've gone through 2 or 3 router upgrades and they're insisting I use theirs.
    Barracuda7772 likes this.
    06-08-13 10:23 AM
    Are we talking about WEP security here? Not only is that cumbersome because of the long key but can't understand why your IP would insist on this instead of allowing the far better PSA2. Are they charging you rent for the router? Dont understand why you can't you use your own router? Or has your internet provider supplied you with a combination modem-router? Comcast was renting me a modem but allowed me to buy my own and drop that charge. So I bought a Motorola Surfboard over a year ago. It was paid off in 12 months.

If you have a suitable laptop installed on the system you can install the software program Connectify on it and generate a second wifi signal which you can use and set your own security and password.

http://www.connectify.me/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Last edited by jpash549; 06-08-13 at 02:07 PM.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-08-13 12:35 PM
    Are we talking about WEP security here? Not only is that cumbersome because of the long key but can't understand why your IP would insist on this instead of allowing the far better PSA2. Are they charging you rent for the router? Dont understand why you can't you use your own router? Or has your internet provider supplied you with a combination modem-router? Comcast was renting me a modem but allowed me to buy my own and drop that charge. So I bought a Motorola Surfboard over a year ago. It was paid off in 12 months.

If you have a suitable laptop installed on the system you can install the software program Connectify on it and generate a second wifi signal which you can use and set your own security and password.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    It's a modem/router. It's pretty decent, I'm getting about 50Mb/s which is supposed to be my speed cap. It's supplied for free so the long arsed code is tolerable every once in a while, but a couple of times a day is aggravating to say the least. Neither of my laptops have an issue.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 01:31 PM
    I like the number 1. Simple to remember, easy to enter and easy to remember. Can't beat it I say.
    06-08-13 01:36 PM
    I like the number 1. Simple to remember, easy to enter and easy to remember. Can't beat it I say.
    I tbink F ver.2.0 may take issue with that. Please read the forum rules regarding personal attacks and trolling.

I realize you are just gnoming but some may mistake this behaviour as trolling.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-08-13 02:42 PM
    To answer the op's ?

NO!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-08-13 02:53 PM
    I tbink F ver.2.0 may take issue with that. Please read the forum rules regarding personal attacks and trolling.

I realize you are just gnoming but some may mistake this behaviour as trolling.
    Listen crumbsnatcher I can't seem to do anything right on here. 28,486.655 and a half times I've been called a troll on this forum, even though I don't eat goats and now your saying I may only be mistaken for a troll. When did I get demoted then? Was it you that did it? I'm staying in the cellar now so F whatever version he's on now can keep the key I don't care anymore.
    06-08-13 03:02 PM
    Listen crumbsnatcher I can't seem to do anything right on here. 28,486.655 and a half times I've been called a troll on this forum, even though I don't eat goats and now your saying I may only be mistaken for a troll. When did I get demoted then? Was it you that did it? I'm staying in the cellar now so F whatever version he's on now can keep the key I don't care anymore.
    Move over I'm comming too. That F guy scares me. I don't want to walk 7000 steps in a day and he wants me to do it uphill. sadist I tell ya
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-08-13 03:10 PM
    Move over I'm comming too. That F guy scares me. I don't want to walk 7000 steps in a day and he wants me to do it uphill. sadist I tell ya
    Hey does a lot of things backwards.
    06-08-13 03:13 PM
    No, you have it wrong (even if I have it wrong by doing it). It was not 7,000 steps in a day. The number was 7,700 and it was feet UP from where I started to where I ended. So think Empire State building. About 1,200 feet bottom to top - so walking up 6 of those. But alas it was over 3 days, my 7,700 feet UP in one day is long gone (sigh). And it was 3.5 miles/2,600 feet, 4 miles/3,400 feet and 2 miles/1,700 feet. Those were one-way. So 9.5 up and another 9.5 back down. But I'll probably be recovering for a while. Vegging at the moment.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-08-13 04:25 PM
    No, you have it wrong (even if I have it wrong by doing it). It was not 7,000 steps in a day. The number was 7,700 and it was feet UP from where I started to where I ended. So think Empire State building. About 1,200 feet bottom to top - so walking up 6 of those. But alas it was over 3 days, my 7,700 feet UP in one day is long gone (sigh). And it was 3.5 miles/2,600 feet, 4 miles/3,400 feet and 2 miles/1,700 feet. Those were one-way. So 9.5 up and another 9.5 back down. But I'll probably be recovering for a while. Vegging at the moment.
    You seriously need to relocate your cellar to a more convenient place.
    06-08-13 04:49 PM
    You seriously need to relocate your cellar to a more convenient place.
    It is the attic that's the challenge. (I was just on another site checking out a new pair of hiking shoes - mine are getting worn and the sole might be too flexible. As opposed to the soul which is less and less flexible.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-08-13 05:54 PM
    It is the attic that's the challenge. (I was just on another site checking out a new pair of hiking shoes - mine are getting worn and the sole might be too flexible. As opposed to the soul which is less and less flexible.
    Have you ever thought that if god had created you with the intention of you doing silly things on mountains, he would have arranged for you to be born a goat or a bear. In that case you wouldn't need shoes so it would be cheaper as well. By the way this is interrupting my digging!
    06-09-13 06:59 AM
    Have you ever thought that if god had created you with the intention of you doing silly things on mountains, he would have arranged for you to be born a goat or a bear. In that case you wouldn't need shoes so it would be cheaper as well. By the way this is interrupting my digging!
    Actually, it would have been even easier if I could fly but I'm designed more like a penguin including shape!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-09-13 09:13 AM
    God has a sense of humor. He created us that created playbooks that started a blog that gather us in this thread and questioning his creativity.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-09-13 10:14 AM
    God has a sense of humor. He created us that created playbooks that started a blog that gather us in this thread and questioning his creativity.
    And cats!

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 01:15 PM
    And cats!

Posted via CB10
    oh god your a car horder
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-09-13 05:04 PM
    It's the one that was supplied to me by my IP. I used to be able to use one I created myself but since then I've gone through 2 or 3 router upgrades and they're insisting I use theirs.
    You can continue to use your ISP's modem/router but add a wireless router of your own.
    I do this with Bell's fibre-op as their router it is needed to assign IP addresses to my TV receivers.
    Add a good WiFi router to one of the Ethernet ports of your existing router. You will lose 1 Ethernet port but gain 3 or 4 on the new router.

Turn off WiFi on your ISP's router. This isn't necessary but helps alleviate problems. I set my ISP's router for WiFi G only and my own router for WiFi N only.

The new router should be set up as a Gateway.
    Use WPA2 security.
    Make sure you turn off DHCP for the new router. You can't have both routers trying to assign IP addresses.
    Turn off UPnP.

ASUS and NetGear make some very good low priced routers.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-10-13 06:49 AM
    You can continue to use your ISP's modem/router but add a wireless router of your own.
    I do this with Bell's fibre-op as their router it is needed to assign IP addresses to my TV receivers.
    Add a good WiFi router to one of the Ethernet ports of your existing router. You will lose 1 Ethernet port but gain 3 or 4 on the new router.

Turn off WiFi on your ISP's router. This isn't necessary but helps alleviate problems. I set my ISP's router for WiFi G only and my own router for WiFi N only.

The new router should be set up as a Gateway.
    Use WPA2 security.
    Make sure you turn off DHCP for the new router. You can't have both routers trying to assign IP addresses.
    Turn off UPnP.

ASUS and NetGear make some very good low priced routers.
    Not bad for a dog.
    06-10-13 07:14 AM
50 12