One of the RIM guys said it just right himself: "Blackberry is for doers, not for viewers."

I really think that should be a tag line RIM uses in their advertising.
    Easily combatted by the competition by showcasing their Eco-Systems. There isn't anything the playbook can do that the others can't and far more it can't do that the others can simply because of app availability. Video editing for example. There is the Bridge but the competition will merely portray at that as a crutch.

The playbook is not a creation platform, the others are moving that way. The playbook is purely a viewer unless you want to make a word document.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 01-14-12 at 06:35 AM.
    pantlesspenguin and Richdog- like this.
    01-14-12 06:22 AM
    i have put in a large amount of time and effort to understand where companies are going with the market as far as mobile technologies
    No offense but you may have wasted your time. You're ignoring price point. The playbook has seen marginal success at a vastly discounted price. A $199/$299 price point and a $0.5 billion quarterly charge for unsold inventory won't make money for RIM and if it continues shareholder value will continue to erode and won't be tolerated. If RIM can't make the product profitable it is doomed to disappear. As i said above, If they had a decent Eco-system in place to help subsidize the device it might help. I give them until the end of 2012 to purchase/build an ecosystem that comparable to their competition, without it RIM will become an also-ran in a competitive field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 01-14-12 at 06:42 AM.
    Richdog- likes this.
    01-14-12 06:31 AM
    No, it won't compete with the iPad (in the short term) but it will do quite nicely if they keep the price point low. At $499 it doesn't stand a chance.
    I totally agree with this, it is a great tablet at $200-300, not at $500. At the lower price it is the best tablet out there.

I think RIM can and must keep it at the lower price, even if they break even or lose a bit of money on the sales, as it is priming the pump for developers to make BB OS10 apps that will work on the phones, just look at all the game studios now making Playbook games, they can and hopefully will have great games available for the BB OS10 phones at launch. That is definitely worth losing some money on the tablet if it makes the phones (their core business) successful.
    Richdog- likes this.
    01-14-12 11:45 AM
    Also share the opinion that this is a very good equipment but the real wave of exit after the official start of a new os2. Because the platform is between android and apple ios.

Just can't wait for official os 2

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    01-14-12 11:51 AM
    I dunno... I guess that the best way for RIM to succeed in the Playbook is not to be an iPad killer. Amazon's Kindle Fire didn't try to be the iPad, it was success.

This is why Android Tablets fail... always trying to be the iPad but never comes close. RIM shouldn't take this path and focus more on improving its ecosystem . The PB has QNX and has a huge potential AND it doubles as an Android device; Two birds in one stone.

Personally though, until the OS 2.0 update, I was impressed by the PB. Enough to actually consider it in my options along with the upcoming iPad 3. XD
    01-14-12 12:14 PM
    I dunno... I guess that the best way for RIM to succeed in the Playbook is not to be an iPad killer. Amazon's Kindle Fire didn't try to be the iPad, it was success.

This is why Android Tablets fail... always trying to be the iPad but never comes close. RIM shouldn't take this path and focus more on improving its ecosystem . The PB has QNX and has a huge potential AND it doubles as an Android device; Two birds in one stone.

Personally though, until the OS 2.0 update, I was impressed by the PB. Enough to actually consider it in my options along with the upcoming iPad 3. XD
    Sorry, but that statement is based only on ignorance. Android tablets do not fail, and they dont try and be the ipad. They sell a of a lot of units, make awesome media players with full flash browsers, and the hardware is better than anything else out there, period. They are nothing like the iPad on anything other than in form and basic functionality.
    01-15-12 03:47 AM
    Sorry, but that statement is based only on ignorance. Android tablets do not fail, and they dont try and be the ipad. They sell a of a lot of units, make awesome media players with full flash browsers, and the hardware is better than anything else out there, period. They are nothing like the iPad on anything other than in form and basic functionality.
    Dunno just my two cents... I'd blame marketing and the review makers for "pitting" all tablets against the iPad. It's simply not fair... it's like comparing Orange and Lemons (I don't want to use Apples )

I have to admit, everyone assumes all tablets that are not the iPad are iPad killers which shouldn't be. I mean it's really not nice to see iDevices all around us as the sole... device.
    01-15-12 08:52 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD