I'll do That right now.

I didn't even know what the cyanogen mod was until someone asked, I just heard my friends tossing it around, cool name though, think the admin will allow changing of screen name?
    Yes they do. If you really want to change it, you would just have to PM one of them, maybe Adam Zeis and ask for a change if you feel that would be better.
    01-11-12 10:20 PM
    i have put in a large amount of time and effort to understand where companies are going with the market as far as mobile technologies . The entire mobile technologies market has exploded in 2011 and will continue to do so in 2012 , but the eventuality of the market is there will be a loser , and there are a few reasons why we can talk about who.

Apple could , but not likely due to it increaseing its market share at a steady pace . and Steady growth is much more profitable than a skyrocket or incredibly slow growth. Android has the potential to tip itself into a self destructive ending, This is because of the huge pike and rapid rate of growth. With the marketshare growing the rate it is , where does it end. Where does android go from here , what can they possibly do next , the market place is a prime reason , yes it is a ecosystem of sorts but its not governed and is full of duplicates and apps are full of advertisements , and the onset of malicious software will make consumers think twice. Blackberry on the other hand has had a few years of very very slow growth in the market and huge losses , Atleast in the north american market , Globally RIM is very profitable and has had huge gains . But lets talk North america.

Blackberry brought out the playbook last year , and there has been HUGE debate on whether they should even be in the tablet market , and massive debate about whether its a failure or a success.

The fact of the matter is the tablet is here to stay. RIM has commited a signifcant amount of cash to keep it there and grow it , and do what it has to take to make it live on the market . unlike HP that axed their tablet 2 months after release, they weren;t prepared to keep it on the market for any amount of time. RIM is , and regardless of the terrible feedback they have from our market they are sticking it out , and i think that is a true sign of RIMs ability to survive .

My opinion and its only mine , Android will fall UNLESS...... Google actually makes the market place a governed ecosystem , That will be its downfall. But again that is only my opinion.

I have used all the above devices and i have always returned to Blackberry.

Blackberry should not license out any of their software to any. Reason for this is RIM is a unigue company with a unigue software ecosystem. From BBM to BIS/BES RIM has what they need.

I agree marketting is a little less than inspiring , but nonetheless RIM is here to stay.

PS Android isn;t going to die tomorrow or anything , it can take years , if it even happens , its just a theory based off current market trends.

My 2 Cents
    01-11-12 10:27 PM
    Oh, I have no doubt the PB can compete with any of the other tablets out there, including the iPad. But they just have to finish the OS and the developer tools and all of that. What sells the iPad are the apps that people share with each other. "Hey, have you seen this?" or "In my practice we started using this" or "Hey, do you play this game" or "Your child should look at this" or "check out how I trade now with this thing". The tablet itself is nothing more than a window into the games or the apps or the content that people want, an electronic tabula rasa if you will.

But those apps can easily be made for PB also if they finish the developer tools and frameworks and if they get good at marketing so there is some critical mass of units being sold each quarter. Enough to keep people interested at a consistent pace without lots of price fluctuations and so on.

They just have to keep moving and not think they've caught up yet, because they haven't yet. Especially with iPad3 probably just 6-8 weeks away now.
    What's up with all he ifs? The dev tools are there. Dead Space, all Gameloft games and plenty other apps are proof of it. Granted there could be more documentation, TAT APIs and other bells, but nothing is halting anyone from coding to the PB but the devs will to do so.

And that is finally changing, it seems.
    01-11-12 10:41 PM
    Oh, and I believe the PB can take on the iPad (and all other tablets for the matter), but I'd prefer if RIM would not do that.

Market it as a multifunctional tool for the moment and let it be the option to iOS and Android (yep, aiming for third place). Build the ecosystem, nurture it and, maybe by OS3/BB10, when we have more apps and proper, working, media store, go full throttle (and still coexist with the others. Diverity is good. Strenght in diversity).
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-11-12 10:50 PM
    What's up with all he ifs? The dev tools are there. Dead Space, all Gameloft games and plenty other apps are proof of it. Granted there could be more documentation, TAT APIs and other bells, but nothing is halting anyone from coding to the PB but the devs will to do so.

And that is finally changing, it seems.
    Immersive games that are OpenGL based use a different set of APIs than business apps. Cascades is the framework that we're waiting on for native development with a native UI kit.

That isn't done yet, and they haven't give us a date on that yet.

There are other APIs as well that are incomplete or not yet documented or not yet available at least until users have 2.0. But Cascades is the biggest missing piece. Push notifications is the next big one that I haven't seen yet, which is critical to many business/utility apps.

I'm not saying they can't get there, but if you've done any development on Android or iOS and then try this, you'll see they have a long way to go still for many types of native apps.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 01-11-12 at 10:56 PM.
    VerryBestr likes this.
    01-11-12 10:50 PM
    PS Android isn;t going to die tomorrow or anything , it can take years , if it even happens , its just a theory based off current market trends.
    But what about the carriers? They don't love Apple for obvious reasons. And RIM is essentially about $5/month to them that they can't necessarily always pass through to the customer in the long run.

Android has no monthly cost to them. Android devices often have lower upfront subsidies. And Samsung, Motorola, and HTC are more than happy to share branding with the carriers and even allow pre-installed apps.

I think carriers and their salespeople are going to continue to push Android hard because that is still by far the most carrier-friendly option.
    01-11-12 11:01 PM

Apple could , but not likely due to it increaseing its market share at a steady pace . and Steady growth is much more profitable than a skyrocket or incredibly slow growth. Android has the potential to tip itself into a self destructive ending, This is because of the huge pike and rapid rate of growth. With the marketshare growing the rate it is , where does it end. Where does android go from here , what can they possibly do next , the market place is a prime reason , yes it is a ecosystem of sorts but its not governed and is full of duplicates and apps are full of advertisements , and the onset of malicious software will make consumers think twice. Blackberry on the other hand has had a few years of very very slow growth in the market and huge losses , Atleast in the north american market , Globally RIM is very profitable and has had huge gains . But lets talk North america.
    R.I.M is struggling with it's brand recognition in North America.

And the the explosion hasn't actually happened. Not just yet.

Google is launching Google TV. 121 Internet Channels to compete with Cable Providers here in the U.S. They're signing multi-million dollar contracts with some Uber TV producers to provide content. Google believes that within 4 years, consumers will get 60% of their entertainment over the internet. And, at least here in the States, the Networks believe them. MTV has already announced a Google TV web channel. As has A&E, HBO, Spike TV, will all be providing content. Even Vivid for those seeking more *ahem* mature content will have it's own Google branded web channel.

Android powered devices accessing Google provided content. - Ubiquitous Branding.

Now Apple. There's a high probability that Apple will announce a branded Television device by 3Q this year. And though Apple isn't launching channels, they have said iTunes will be 'optimized' for the their new product line-up year. So, this will allow Apple users to access their iTunes content content via their Macs, their phones, their iPod touches, their iPads and now their televisions. - Ubiquitous.

When you add marketing to the actual cost of manufacturing R.I.M can't keep the PB at this price and turn a profit. So they will have to either raise the price or scale back on the materials and produce a more cost effective PB. So the PBs that we all have in our possessions right now may be the last of it's type.

And then again, the Mayans might be right, and all of this will come to an abrupt halt in about 11 months anyway.

Cheers!

*Please pardon any typos, grammatical errors, etc. It's almost 1a.m. and I'm way too tired to go back and read this rant I just made.
    01-11-12 11:48 PM
    After seeing the video review of OS2 at CES 2012, I am impressed. I think the Playbook will finally be worth the $299 they are charging now. OS2 corrects the major flaws that had the PB selling at near firesale prices.

I would forget trying to compete with the iPad. Apple will be coming out with 2 new tablets that should leapfrog the Playbook. The Playbook just needs to survive right now and be competitive to other non-Android tablets. My personal opinion is that QNX is a much better OS than Android. OS2 adds real value. RIM can't afford any more mistakes at this point.
    tabulus likes this.
    01-12-12 12:01 AM
    What do you guys think, with the introduction of os2, will the PB adoption rate increase substantially, and will the Playbook be a true competitor to the iPad?
    Two questions: What do you mean by substantial increase, and what do you mean by true competitor? Let's say the adoption rate doubles. That still is not a noticeable slice of the iPad market which is growing every quarter. How do you see the PB competing with the iPad? Are we measuring sell-in, profits the items bring in, customer satisfaction, number of developer, apps, getting the cool stuff on your platform first? Which of these do you believe the PB will carve out as an area of true competition.

Finally, why the iPad? Why not the GTab, Transformer Prime, KF, Nook, Kobo? Wouldn't it make sense to knock off one of these before demanding a title fight with the iPad. Why not pick on a market your own size and build up a resume of being competitive against something before talking more smack about the iPad?
    01-13-12 03:42 PM
    If you guys are following CES, there are tons of new tablets being introduced, some with Ice Cream Sandwich and others with proprietary OS's, all better than the playbook from a hardware feature set and software perspective. So from a consumer point of view, there will be a wide variety of tablets and phones to choose from. Not sure if last years playbook will one of them.
    01-13-12 04:06 PM
    i have question guys..

would like to know if the RIM has plan to bring the price $199 for 16g?

all models are 299 for all model (16g 32g 64g)

TIA
    01-13-12 09:24 PM
    So from a consumer point of view, there will be a wide variety of tablets and phones to choose from. Not sure if last years playbook will one of them.
    No, last year's PlayBook won't be one of them, that's true.

Fortunately, we'll have this year's PlayBook, with the shiny new PlayBook OS 2.0, and it will be right up there amongst them!
    01-13-12 09:45 PM
    No, last year's PlayBook won't be one of them, that's true.

Fortunately, we'll have this year's PlayBook, with the shiny new PlayBook OS 2.0, and it will be right up there amongst them!
    I don't have my hopes up for strong sales this year. We'll see.
    01-13-12 09:47 PM
    Yep, it's all about the marketing. The products ARE competitive, but nobody knows it. Maybe we need to start doing our own commercials for them and Youtubing them. Like that Jack in the Box ad....
    RIM needs to do a better job at marketing the Android player in OS 2.0... Currently it takes too many steps on the command line to test and repackage an Android apk into Blackberry bar...They need to make repackaging and deployment tools easier for developers, who may not have any experince on the Playbook OS platform at all. I emailee one developer (iSilo) whose Android version app "just works" on the playbook android app player, but they are unware of this and is just beginning to check out the feasibility of repackaging their app, and says it may take several weeks before they reach a decision.
    01-13-12 10:35 PM
    The OP specifically asked our opinions if we thought the PB would now compete with he iPad. If you have a problem with that wording take it up with him.

I guess in your analogy the PB is a ski boat and the iPad is a car. not very flattering compareson I'd say
    true... ski boats are awesome
    01-13-12 10:45 PM
    It will pick up some adapters but its a bit late. Don't get me wrong, I love the new updates and can't wait to update my OS in Feb. But to the average consumer, Blackberry has had tons of negative press and the sales reps just add on to that at the stores (Best Buy, Radioshack, etc--in the US). If you wanted a tablet you were either an early adopter or you probably got a tablet during the various sales during the holiday season (tablets in general not just blackberry). I just have to wonder...who's left that wants a tablet. And of those that are left, with so many options under 300..why a playbook? RIM has to answer that question with a PR blitz as opposed to among us FanBoys.
    This is not solely directed at you ice, but wanted to quote your post.

People have this idea that once Joe/Suzy Consumer buys a tablet, he/she is done and will not ever buy another one. We all know that simply isn't true. People that bought iPad 1's then moved to iPad 2's? Why? New/more features, better design, etc, etc.

Who is to say that when someone is looking to upgrade their iPad/other tablet, it will not be to a PlayBook? Why can't RIM offering a compelling package to consumers that will make them upgrade to a PB? If acquiring and keeping customers was that easy then people never would have stopped buying RIM phones and switched over to iPhones. Luckily, the consumer electronics market is a very dynamic place that is constantly changing. RIM lost round 1 badly. But they are still here. They have cash, and a whole lot of fight left in them.
    Last edited by LuvULongTime; 01-13-12 at 11:00 PM.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-13-12 10:57 PM
    Who buys a tablet at $500? Rich early adopters.

Who buys a tablet at $200-$399? Everyone else.

The tablet marketplace is in it's infancy, Playbook with OS2 is better than any competitor at $200-399.

PB 2.0 has:
    Native apps, including a lot of great games and apps. Except for Netflix or Skype everything is there.

HTML5 apps: PB has the best score and can run them better than the iPad or any other tablet.

Flash apps: The best tablet to run them.

Android apps: For those apps you are missing.

Great OS and hardware, full Office Apps for free, true multitasking, excellent app support, bridging magic to your BB phone, it all looks good for the PB.
    01-14-12 12:02 AM
    Who buys a tablet at $500? Rich early adopters.

Who buys a tablet at $200-$399? Everyone else.

The tablet marketplace is in it's infancy, Playbook with OS2 is better than any competitor at $200-399.

PB 2.0 has:
    Native apps, including a lot of great games and apps. Except for Netflix or Skype everything is there.

HTML5 apps: PB has the best score and can run them better than the iPad or any other tablet.

Flash apps: The best tablet to run them.

Android apps: For those apps you are missing.

Great OS and hardware, full Office Apps for free, true multitasking, excellent app support, bridging magic to your BB phone, it all looks good for the PB.
    However, in the real world, the success of a tablet is not based on these things alone... and few people will be aware of those qualities. Brand name, reputation, marketing, price. Those things were the Playbooks achilles heel towards it gaining mass acceptance, and had RIM done thongs differently and not acted like a company that had been around only a year, then the Playbook (or insert other suitable, better name here) would be a different story today. It was released with world-class hardware, and backed up by advanced but
    half-finished software lacking essential features that other tablets took for granted, all backed by terrible marketing. The current situation is based on nothing more than a string of terrible decisions, and im sure heads will roll (if they havent already) for it.
    01-14-12 12:23 AM
    I don't know if anyone has seen the post about "doing well". You guys should check it out. But yea playbook is being increasingly known/wanted at school, before people didn't even know that blackberry made a tablet. I seriously think that the playbook will be fighting a lot longer than everyone thinks.
    01-14-12 12:38 AM
    Will the adoption rate increase? Certainly. The PlayBook is technically very impressive, as of OS 2 will be "complete" for most uses, and will have enough apps between native apps now appearing and the Android support.

Will it become a serious iPad competitor? I think RIM will keep the price point lower on the 7" model. 299.00 seems about right and probably what it should have been at the start. I think later on, maybe within a year if RIM produces a 10" version, and BlackBerry 10 gets a warm reception in the US, then yes. Though I still think the price point for a 10" model would need to be lower than the iPad.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-14-12 12:56 AM
    However, in the real world, the success of a tablet is not based on these things alone... and few people will be aware of those qualities. Brand name, reputation, marketing, price.
    I would argue, and I may certainly be wrong, that RIM has got that message, they are spending $100s of millions on marketing in the US now to stem the bleeding, and actually have the product to back it up in BB 7.1 phones and the the Playbook with OS2. Pity they couldn't have had these devices and software earlier, but as of now they are more than competitive.
    01-14-12 12:56 AM
    I would argue, and I may certainly be wrong, that RIM has got that message, they are spending $100s of millions on marketing in the US now to stem the bleeding, and actually have the product to back it up in BB 7.1 phones and the the Playbook with OS2. Pity they couldn't have had these devices and software earlier, but as of now they are more than competitive.
    I agree with everything you said except for the bolded word. Competitive isn't the word I would use to describe BB products. Tmo just pulled the torch 9810, so it obviously isn't doing well in terms of sales. "Functional" or "current" would be a better fit imho.

I also wished rim would have made a huge advertising push when they where at the top of their game because maybe rim wouldn't be in the position that they are today in the states. Oh well.
    01-14-12 01:58 AM
    I don't know if anyone has seen the post about "doing well". You guys should check it out. But yea playbook is being increasingly known/wanted at school, before people didn't even know that blackberry made a tablet. I seriously think that the playbook will be fighting a lot longer than everyone thinks.
    Lets be realistic though... its "doing well" in the respect that its not doing as badly as it was... due to a late and drastic price cut. It is not doing well in terms of being competitive against the other tablets it was originally aiming to.

They are not "more than competitive" as of right now... that is personal opinion. RIM are in serious trouble, and the sooner people see this and accept it the better. I really like my Playbook and think with OS 2.0 that it will be a great little tablet for the money i paid for it. but i am realistic about what it does as of this moment in time, and difficulties that the company supporting it are now in. It sucks, but thats just how it is at the moment.
    01-14-12 04:08 AM
    The price reductions are certainly making a big impact on sales. If RIM follow this up with the OS2 and Android app capability as promised next month, then I think the user base will grow rapidly. Whether this is enough to turn the Playbook into late starter sales success remains to be seen. I hope so.

As a three-year BB user (in the UK) I wanted a PB from the start. But these things put me off: 1) the price (�400 in UK for the 16 Gb) 2) the poor reviews 3) the fear that it would be buggy and not work as advertised (having been bitten with my troublesome Storm 1) and 4) the realisation that there were barely any apps of any use to me.

So I thought no, I'll wait. I'll wait for the inevitable bugs to be fixed. I'll wait and see if the prices come down. I'll wait and see what apps come out. And so on. It was hard, especially reading on Crackberry how many users loved the device so much. Despite everything, I still lusted for a Playbook.

Then the price crash. Suddenly, 16 Gb Playbooks were available for �169 in Currys. Great I thought, now I will get one. Has to be a bargain at the price. But then Christmas came along. I thought no, I'll wait a bit more, buy a used one off eBay. So Last week, I did. I got a 16 Gb Playbook which was brand new on Boxing Day for only �152.50 including delivery. It arrived on the same day that RIM announced OS2 at CES. Happy? I was over the moon.

I've only had the device a few days and it is taking me a while to explore what the PB can and cannot do to enhance my life, both for business and pleasure. So far I am delighted. I can also say that at the price I paid, it would be worth it just as a standalone device for watching BBC iPlayer (which I found pre-installed) and YouTube (ditto). Both work flawlessly and the picture quality is superb. I haven't hooked it up to a TV yet but that will be the icing on the cake.

Add in all the other existing and upcoming capabilities with OS2, at the current UK new (�169) and used (�120 -�160 on eBay UK) for the 16 Gb, it really is a no-brainer if you are a BB phone user, and a very tempting prospect even if you are not.
    Richdog- likes this.
    01-14-12 06:03 AM
    No, it won't compete with the iPad (in the short term) but it will do quite nicely if they keep the price point low. At $499 it doesn't stand a chance. Of course RIM would have to find a way to make it profitable at that low price point. If they had a decent Eco-system in place to help subsidize the device it might help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 01-14-12 at 06:37 AM.
    Richdog- likes this.
    01-14-12 06:10 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD