My screen is completely cracked. Is there anyway for me to control the playbook without the screen? I have a bold blackberry, but I never setup the romote control function. I was thinking of hooking the playbook to our kitchen TV via HDMi and using it as a web appliance on the TV. If I can can figure out how to control it without the screen.
    03-19-12 11:41 PM
    Your thread is gonna die quicker than your playbook did.. sorry bout your playbook though.. Does it even start? For all you know your mobo in there could also have been cracked!

If your Bluetooth was on before the crash AND if you had ever bridged your phone then there are some chances.
    03-19-12 11:53 PM
    WoW sorry to hear that. With the screen you would tap turn the Blue tooth & the bridge. can you still do that with the screen in that condition?
    03-19-12 11:57 PM
    Can't be a serious topic..can it?
    03-20-12 12:03 AM
    Pairing a PlayBook and a BlackBerry requires input from both devices. If you can't do anything from the PB, then your best bet is to see about replacing the screen.

Guys, keep the "thread validity" speculation in your head. If it is fake, for what reason I can't comprehend, all you're doing is bumping the thread back to the top...
    03-20-12 12:15 AM
    Where is the thumbs down option when we need it?
    MedChemist likes this.
    03-20-12 12:25 AM
    You probably won't be able to get it to work. You're better off selling it off and buying a new device; even if it was worth fixing or salvaging, it would cost you more time and effort than dropping $200 (or less used/third-party) on a new device.
    03-20-12 12:39 AM
    If it's just the front glass broken, I have seen replacements for sale at dealextreme. Just search for playbook. Looks like they're about 50 bucks.
    03-20-12 12:47 AM
    03-20-12 12:57 AM
    Do you have password on it? and does it open at all? And do you see anything when you connect it to the TV?
    03-20-12 01:11 AM
    Why all the hate? OP had a great idea with the HDMI. If he can actually see the desktop on his TV, that's a major step. If bridge has already been paired, he may have enough gesture capability to activate bluetooth. The actual remote functionality is a feature of the Bold's bridge app, which may just need last month's update.
    03-20-12 01:20 AM
    It's completely possible for the OP to use the broken screen PB on the HDMI out.. but a few really important points.. considering the screen is completely inaccessible..

1.) PB device should not be password protected
    2.) PB device should have been bridge paired atleast once to BB smartphone
    3.) PB should have had the BT connection set to 'ON' prior to accident

actually.. other minor points..

4.) HDMI audio should have been activated on PB prior to accident
    5.) Password from BB smartphone will have to be disabled or else Bridge on PB will not load

I think all internals of your device might have been crushed if a car ran over it

PS - You can dingleberry it or something and change settings thru DOS maybe
    03-20-12 02:00 AM
    Sorry, I can relate from the point of view of leaving many a thing on the roof of the car while unlocking the doors, from coffee to briefcases. Go for the self repair option as mentioned above $50 for a screen isn't bad, some cell phones are that and more.
    03-20-12 06:08 AM
    Thank you for all of the posts, the device does come on, but does not reply to screen responses (this is a testament to the Playbooks quality (gets run over by a car and keeps on ticking, the case actually has a tire print on it). I hooked it up to the TV and could get a picture on the TV, I hooked a USB mouse to the USB port, but I didn't get any response. I might try the screen replacement, but was thinking of using the playbook as a kitchen internet device and just getting a 16gb (my wife puts her recipes in Evernote). This unit is a 32ggb
    03-20-12 08:05 AM
    Pics or it didn't happen.

(I totally believe you, by the way, but this refrain is common around here and would shut the naysayers up a bit...)
    03-20-12 08:11 AM
    Wow. Sounds interesting, let us know if you ever manage to get it going without replacing the screen. I had a similar situation happen to me, fortunately I purchased accidental damage protection from staples. They're sending me a gift card for 499+gst (cause this is what I paid back in the day). So I can buy a 199 playbook and have 3hun to spare - not to shabby a deal - lol.
    03-20-12 08:11 AM
    Simple: Bluetooth mouse & keyboard.

Assuming, of course, you can get them paired to the device...

RCK
    Last edited by rkennedy01; 03-20-12 at 08:19 AM.
    03-20-12 08:16 AM
    Thank you for all of the posts, the device does come on, but does not reply to screen responses (this is a testament to the Playbooks quality (gets run over by a car and keeps on ticking, the case actually has a tire print on it). I hooked it up to the TV and could get a picture on the TV, I hooked a USB mouse to the USB port, but I didn't get any response. I might try the screen replacement, but was thinking of using the playbook as a kitchen internet device and just getting a 16gb (my wife puts her recipes in Evernote). This unit is a 32ggb
    I hooked a USB mouse to the USB port, but I didn't get any response.
    I don't think the PB supports a USB mouse. Try a bluetooth one as suggested or plug into your computer. Although I don't know if damage could be done to the computer if the contacts in the PB are screwy.
    03-20-12 08:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD