Hey guys,

I picked up a playbook yesterday after they became nice and cheap in the UK. My first impression was that it was absolutely amazing. However, after just a few minutes of trying out different preinstalled apps, it started failing to open things. Anything I clicked on would flash up for a second then disappear, also the onscreen keyboard became corrupted (only showed half the keys). I rebooted and the and the same thing happened when trying to open apps again after I had a few running. So far the keyboard issue has not reoccured.

I have done a little bit of research and understand that I may have been exceeding the available memory through heavy demand. I can replicate the issue consistently if I open the browser, youtube and Tetris simultaneously (any more than this becomes an issue). Is this realistically too much for the playbook to have open? If so, I will happily adjust my expectations and enjoy it but I'd really like to know if there is something wrong with it so I can get a replacement instore while I still can, rather than them sending it off for repair which will be the only option after I've had it for a week.

Thanks and merry christmas!

Paul
    12-25-11 05:36 PM
    i currently have facebook, the browser, angry birds, youtube and a video playing that i recorded with teh pb all running at the same time and things are running perfectly. I've never had issues like the ones you state. I wouldn't think the pb would have trouble handling those three apps.
    12-25-11 05:44 PM
    Which OS are you on? Which version of Tetris, 2.2 is the latest.

It is probably normal if you are trying to run too many video intensive apps. What is running in the browser?

I tried Tetris, uTube, and the browser with three tabs and didn't get a crash. I am running the current 1.0.8 OS.
    Last edited by robsteve; 12-25-11 at 06:03 PM.
    12-25-11 05:46 PM
    If you've already done a reset with no change, I'd say you got a bad one. Check the forums first, but doesn't sound right. I'd exchange it. The PB is well known for it's multitasking, even negative reviews have given it a thumbs up there. I too can run music or video in the background while doing other apps as well.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-25-11 at 06:03 PM.
    12-25-11 05:58 PM
    Try to re-boot like this:
    Hold all 3 buttons until the PB turns off----power, volume + and volume-
    It will restart.

I tried what you describe and my PB works fine. In the about section of the settings you can see available memory. After a restart you should be in the 600 range. See what it says when your apps start closing.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-25-11 06:04 PM
    Ok, thanks for the quick replies. I have just restarted the device and got a little bit further this time: I opened the browser (and browsed to the crackberry homepage), youtube playing a music vid, tetris, the front page of the pictures app and the weather app. Anything else I now try to open shows an alert in the top left corner saying 'Unable to start application - Out of graphics memory'. Previously it did not show this message.

OS is 1.0.8.6067 and free memory is showing 238.7Mb

Edit: free memory after rebooting shows as 662.9Mb
    Last edited by ph246; 12-25-11 at 06:10 PM.
    12-25-11 06:07 PM
    Ok, thanks for the quick replies. I have just restarted the device and got a little bit further this time: I opened the browser (and browsed to the crackberry homepage), youtube playing a music vid, tetris, the front page of the pictures app and the weather app. Anything else I now try to open shows an alert in the top left corner saying 'Unable to start application - Out of graphics memory'. Previously it did not show this message.

OS is 1.0.8.6067 and free memory is showing 238.7Mb

Edit: free memory after rebooting shows as 662.9Mb
    What happens if you close the apps already open? Does it work afterwards?

It does sound like you may have a faulty hardware...d
    12-25-11 06:55 PM
    I can replicate your problem. It is just a matter of having too many video intensive applications open at the same time. The Crackberry site can have some pretty graphic intensive layouts too, so one of the ads, or the videos on the main screen may contribute to the problem.

Your Playbook is fine. Just close a few aps when you get this error in the future.
    12-25-11 07:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD