I've Had My Playbook for a very long time now and had no problems with it (except my stupid human errors) But for some reason its just factory reset itself? right to the start up setup when i first bought it? this has never happened before and no one has tried to access it. there was alot of stuff that was recently added before i backed it up, but luckily i backed it up before this incident happened. I've googled this alot and didn't seem to get a straight answer so if any body knows it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys!
    Harry.
    Home - Messaboutz
    all the music you need in life - Daniel FM
    messaboutz@outlook.com
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook Factory Reset Itself?-messaboutz-logo-whole-.jpg  
    02-25-13 03:38 PM
    I am glad you had a backup. I have not come across a playbook factory resetting itself. It requires three different screens and manually typing the word "blackberry" for it to do that. I am interested in what others think.
    02-25-13 04:13 PM
    They will reset to the backup copy of the OS if there is some form of corruption in the current OS. If you search the OS forum and maybe the rooting forum, I think it was the rooters that figured out there is always a backup copy of the OS on the Playbook. If somehow the current OS is corrupted (such as when they were playing around with it when rooted) the Playbook will wipe itself and load this backup OS.

It can also be a problem with the memory of the Playbook causing the corruption. The best think you can do is a security wipe, then a debrick, then restore your backup. If it happens again you probably have a hardware problem.
    02-25-13 04:18 PM
    I, too, believe that while it is probably very rare, a few others have reported similar experiences. Glad you had a backup.
    02-25-13 04:24 PM
    I recently got back from holidays in germany and wanted to transfer all files from my playbook onto my laptop, i did not have any software on the laptop(brand new laptop) i had plugged in the play book to the laptop, then on the playbook it told me to go to blackberry.com/desktop so i went there and downloaded the program for windows, then my playbook wasnt connecting to the program so i hit retry, it still did not work. so then i hit update which then it asked me to repair it. so i hit repair. my playbook turns off a green light goes on and then when it loads up its back to factory reset. In all this process it did not give me the option to backup my playbook. it did not give me the option to copy or take anything on or off it. now everything is gone and the technical support line to call cant help me and wondershare cant help me and the feedback@blackberry.com hasnt responded. i want my data back i need those photos and videos! its such a big deal to me. Please someone help me.
    09-27-13 04:14 PM
    Unfortunatly, there is nothing that can be done for the lost files.

I "think" where you went down the wrong road was where you were not able to get the PB to connect to the pc when you plugged it in, did not recognize it, you hit "Retry", nothing, THEN you hit the "Update" button. That is what did it.

I believe what you should do next time if the pc does not recognize the PB (assuming you still have BB Desktop Manager installed, is to plug the PB into another/different USB port. This will cause the PC to load the driver for the PB on that USB Port Address, in a sense forcing it to reload the drives for that port and all should come up.

Again, sorry for the loss of irreplaceable data, but from now on, you should do the Drag/Drop thingy and copy your Movies, Music, and Images to PC BEFORE doing ANY update, beit OS or and App.

c
    09-27-13 05:09 PM
    There are file recovery programs which claim to recover deleted pictures etc from the Playbook. But in restoring to factory perhaps the memory has been reformatted which would make it essentially impossible. An example of a program claiming to recover deleted files is:

http://www.ipubsoft.com/recovery/rec...-playbook.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-27-13 09:23 PM
    There are file recovery programs which claim to recover deleted pictures etc from the Playbook. But in restoring to factory perhaps the memory has been reformatted which would make it essentially impossible. An example of a program claiming to recover deleted files is:

Chance to Recover Deleted Photos from BlackBerry Playbook
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    OK, this is a scary post - I don't do backups and I have all my vac pics on this playbook. So how do you do a backup, please?
    09-28-13 09:28 AM
    OK, this is a scary post - I don't do backups and I have all my vac pics on this playbook. So how do you do a backup, please?
    The Desktop Software or the new BB Link software can backup your pb.

BUT I prefer the manual method - I use wifi sharing (or usb) and use Windows' Explorer and drop/drag/copy to my computer any unique data. For instance, when I used Advanced Camera to capture the installation of my Solar system on my roof, I very quickly copied those videos to my computer using the Manual Method. As a matter of fact, when I can get DesktopSoftware or BB link to work, I do not waste time backing up my media. Same with any photos I take or even screen shots that I want to keep. I copy them myself. I've created a Main Folder on my computer called PB64 and then mirrored the folders on the pb. I copy photos, videos, docs from the pb to their appropriate location on my computer. Most of my music/mp3's came from the computer so I already have those "kind of backed up" with the originals on the computer.
    castoridae likes this.
    09-28-13 11:25 AM
    The Desktop Software or the new BB Link software can backup your pb.

BUT I prefer the manual method - I use wifi sharing (or usb) and use Windows' Explorer and drop/drag/copy to my computer any unique data. For instance, when I used Advanced Camera to capture the installation of my Solar system on my roof, I very quickly copied those videos to my computer using the Manual Method. As a matter of fact, when I can get DesktopSoftware or BB link to work, I do not waste time backing up my media. Same with any photos I take or even screen shots that I want to keep. I copy them myself.
    Yep, I'm so lazy; I. Never did PC backups. Some of my pics have been copied onto disks, but I think these are going the way of the dinosaur, so I'm thinking to put all pics onto my classic iPod. It has alot of space and Apple maintains all Apple pods and products. It is the pics i worry about most and they took too much space on my old PC.
    What do you think if doing this instead of on the old soon to be replaced PC?
    09-29-13 04:49 PM
    Yep, I'm so lazy; I. Never did PC backups. Some of my pics have been copied onto disks, but I think these are going the way of the dinosaur, so I'm thinking to put all pics onto my classic iPod. It has alot of space and Apple maintains all Apple pods and products. It is the pics i worry about most and they took too much space on my old PC.
    If you don't mind sideloading, you can sideload the android DropBox app which will automatically upload any new pics or vids in your Camera folder to the cloud. All you have to do is open the app, and it will then sync on its own. You should be able to get a free 4 or 5 gig DropBox account.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-29-13 04:58 PM
    Options also include the cloud, external backup drives and flash drives. Don't know how many gigabytes you are talking about but flash drives are relatively inexpensive and be used easily with your computer. Since any single storage device is subject to failure you may want to consider having some redundancy which could including storage in a second physical location such as your house and a safety deposit box. The cloud is good but not under your control and may not be absolutely dependable.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-29-13 05:05 PM
    Use any backup device that you think will LAST and not break. I have to admit that I have a number of larger hard drives connected or that can be connected to usb ports.

Before I retired, I kept cd's with all of my photos in my desk at work. That way if anything happened at home there would be copies. I've spoken with a friend and we've discussed trading backup cd's of our various projects or photos.

I tried copying one dayhike's photos to the cloud and it took a very long time. That may be my dsl connection.
    09-29-13 07:40 PM