Just trying to find out if we take the Playbook to Germany, Paris and surrounding areas, is their Wi Fi compatible to what we use now? Are there Hot Spots in European areas?

Just looking to find out if it is worth buying a second one to take overseas.

Brian
    04-20-12 10:53 AM
    Just trying to find out if we take the Playbook to Germany, Paris and surrounding areas, is their Wi Fi compatible to what we use now? Are there Hot Spots in European areas?
    Brian
    Welcome around ! (edited, missed the minimal level of hospitality, sorry).

in our poor town-sized countries, yes, wifi/hotspots works the same .
    But just buy another one, just for the pleasure and RIM's health !!!

P.S: You'll need an AC adaptator for your charger
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-20-12 at 10:57 AM.
    BigAl_BB9900 and Berrimad like this.
    04-20-12 10:55 AM
    All wifis and hotspots are the same all around the world.

Is this a question ??
    04-20-12 11:01 AM
    Do bring plenty $ to convert to €, since Wifi is offensief not free in places as hotels etc, and might even be more expensive then using your 3G bridged....

Of course, Amsterdam is andere exception, more like San Francisco of Seattle
    04-20-12 12:54 PM
    The 802.11B/G/N protocols are standards and therefore supported globally by any WiFi provider. The issue you might encounter is a WiFi log-in page to sign into the provider's network; sometimes these log-in pages do not display on the BlackBerry PlayBook. Contact the hotels, motels., hostels, you intend to frequent to determine their policies and procedures for guest WiFi access. And definitely take an adapter suitable for country you will be visiting so you can recharge the tablet. I think CrackBerry Shop sells them.
    04-20-12 01:13 PM

Brian
    To expand on what SuperFly posted....

Different countries in Europe use different power adaptors (there are two main variants - UK vs the rest....)

Suggestion for before you leave home - if you already have an International All-in-One Travel Power Plug Adapter just check that it will stay in the wall socket when you have the heavy PlayBook Mains Charger plugged into it (one of my US Adaptors is rubbish, and either the whole lot falls out of the wall socket, or the PlayBook Charger falls out of the adaptor)

If you travel to Northern Europe (especially Scandinavia) you may be pleasantly surprised by the plethora of WiFi Hotspots with stunning download speeds

Enjoy your trip!

PS Please bring lots of cash as our economies desperately need your money (except Norway of course - they are filthy rich with the stuff....)
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 04-20-12 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo
    04-20-12 02:08 PM
    mcdonalds in europe is alwayzzzz freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee wifi
    Berrimad likes this.
    04-20-12 02:12 PM
    Many thanks to everyone who offered up responses. I just wish the OTG was set up before mid May and then no need of a computer for photos from my camera.

I know it seemed kind of strange, but i had neveer really thought about Wifi out of North America. so glad to hear it is all the same.

Brian
    04-20-12 02:29 PM
    And you might want to find the smallest or lowest profile plug adapter as some of the sockets are recessed and larger adapters don't fit the recessed sockets.
    04-20-12 02:48 PM
    I used my PB all over Europe while there last fall. Most everywhere I went, from Paris to Turkey and all countries in between had free wifi.

Holy moly, there's alot of sheep in Turkey!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by up488; 04-20-12 at 03:24 PM.
    04-20-12 03:19 PM
    All wifis and hotspots are the same all around the world.

Is this a question ??
    Yes, and it is a fair question the OP is asking. If you read the threads about the issues people had with their Playbooks connecting to the Wi-Fi down in the Caribbean then you wouldn't be so shocked at this thread.
    Denus likes this.
    04-20-12 04:32 PM
    good question, one I was half curious in hearing the answer, mainly the amount of free vs paid wifi spots. We're going to Portugal this July for 2 weeks and was planing on leaving the laptop behind this time around (as in on vacation, never been to Portugal) and just taking the playbook.

One really cool thing I found, just a few days ago I figured out what this whole side loading thing is about. I installed AndFTP, now I can log into my web hosting account and upload photos and short movies I made on the playbook right to the internet and email my girlfriend back home the links, a nice way to stay in touch besides email.
    04-20-12 06:22 PM
    @adblink I'm curious - wouldn't uploading to Picasa do the same?

That is - use the Browser to log into Google/Picasa and save your pics in a folder that your nominated people could open.

Does AndFTP do something different?
    04-20-12 07:12 PM
    To get the login pages to work for me in the airports and hotspots I had to disable bluetooth on the PB to break the connection to my 9700. After that everything went fine. My wife and I just went to Vegas this week and we brought one of our pb's down with us so we could video chat with the kids. It worked out great and the kids loved getting to see different places we went.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    04-20-12 07:30 PM
    @adblink I'm curious - wouldn't uploading to Picasa do the same?

That is - use the Browser to log into Google/Picasa and save your pics in a folder that your nominated people could open.

Does AndFTP do something different?
    I've never used picasa so I'm not 100% sure what you mean by nominated people, but andFTP is just an FTP client that lets you log on to FTP servers which is how you access most web hosts.

By having access to my web server I can upload whatever I want and send (or post) the link to anyone I want.
    04-20-12 07:40 PM
    @adblink I use Google's Picasa, so I use PB Browser to access my Google account, then Picasa and then use the upload a pic option, select photos from your computer (playbook) option, select PB (you could also select phone if bridged), and then all my PB pics show.

You can select as many pics as you want - or you can use the Video option and do the same.

When you initially set up Picasa (and whenever you use it) you can choose who else has access to the Picasa Web album.
    04-20-12 07:58 PM
    I�m happy to say you we are near GERMANY in CANARY ISLAND and you can also use wifi here.
    you can see CANARY ISLAND in google maps and really we are ultramar territory of EUROPE with the best beaches and sun of EUROPE..and we�ll be so happy if you bring your dollars here

in spanish.

nosotros nos alegramos de decirte que estamos en las ISLAS CANARIAS, cerca de ALEMANIA y tambien tenemos WIFI
    Puedes encontrarnos en google maps , somos territorio ultramar de Europa y tenemos las mejores playas de EUROPA.
    Nos alegraria mucho que venieras con tus dolares
    04-21-12 02:44 AM
    mcdonalds in europe is alwayzzzz freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee wifi
    As is Starbucks.....

Many cities and shopping centres have free wifi networks set up. In Vienna you can pick up free wifi at many spots around the city.
    04-21-12 03:18 AM
    Hello,

Lots of hot spots in Paris : MacDonalds, Quick, ..., and lots of gardens too. You'll always be connected
    Enjoy your vacations
    P.S. : contact me if you need more info
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-21-12 05:20 AM

Different countries in Europe use different power adaptors (there are two main variants - UK vs the rest....)

Suggestion for before you leave home - if you already have an International All-in-One Travel Power Plug Adapter just check that it will stay in the wall socket when you have the heavy PlayBook Mains Charger plugged into it (one of my US Adaptors is rubbish, and either the whole lot falls out of the wall socket, or the PlayBook Charger falls out of the adaptor)

If you travel to Northern Europe (especially Scandinavia) you may be pleasantly surprised by the plethora of WiFi Hotspots with stunning download speeds

Enjoy your trip!

PS Please bring lots of cash as our economies desperately need your money (except Norway of course - they are filthy rich with the stuff....)
    Your will need lots, the pound is at its highest rate against the dollar for over a year.
    04-21-12 05:29 AM
    Do bring plenty $ to convert to �, since Wifi is offensief not free in places as hotels etc, and might even be more expensive then using your 3G bridged....

Of course, Amsterdam is andere exception, more like San Francisco of Seattle
    old stories ...
    You'll find a lot a free hotspots (sometimes with limited time like 15 minutes in airports) and all hotels are usually providing free wifi to their guests (at least in the lobby).

Also be advised it might be interesting if you carry both PB and BB phone to unlock your phone prior to come, so that you can buy SIMs and avoid exagereous fees for international roaming (in particular for data).
    04-21-12 05:37 AM

Just to clarify adaptor advice, all you need is an adaptor for the physical layout of the pins in the different styles of plugs. You won't need to worry about different voltages because genuine BB charging adaptors accept wide input range (usually about 100-240v AC).

You will probably find the same for most of your high tech equipment, but be careful if you plan on packing things like hair dryer, check the label and if it won't accept european 220V don't bother hauling the weight. (You'll find hair dryers provided in most hotels anyway)
    04-22-12 02:28 PM
    my BB is unlocked but I've never actually used it...

can you actually buy sims cards with prepaid data as well as voice?

I'm going to Lisbon for a week mid july.
    dendroica likes this.
    04-24-12 10:02 PM
    @adblink ... have a look at TEP re a portable wifi device.

This company has been recommended countless times on various travel websites.

Prepaid Cell Phone, Wifi, Mifi & Sim Card Rental at local roaming prices - Tep Wireless
    mszbzltn likes this.
    04-25-12 04:57 AM
    @adblink ... have a look at TEP re a portable wifi device.

This company has been recommended countless times on various travel websites.

Prepaid Cell Phone, Wifi, Mifi & Sim Card Rental at local roaming prices - Tep Wireless
    that is very interesting...

thanks for the link I'm look into it
    04-25-12 07:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD