So, Ive had my 16gig Playbook for a couple of years. The screen has been acting erratic for a few months. Ive been searching threads hoping to find a fix but to no avail. Today i decided to take the back cover off and check connections. Now get this, the playbook with the back off worked flawlessly, Not a problem at all. Left the back off for a few hours to make sure it was ok. Once i put the back on it again it started screwing up again. Are there pressure points on the playbook that will make the screen screw up? By "Erratic" i mean when you swipe or push power button to take it out of sleep mode you get a black lined screen or funky colors or nothing at all. Any ideas out the???? I dont want to leave the back off just to have a working playbook.. Cheers
    11-02-13 11:02 AM
    Gosh! I thought I was the only one who had this.

My 64GB PlayBook started acting weird (actually the same as you described) right after the latest OS update. It suddenly shows wicked colors, or doesn't wanna wake up from sleeping after power button is pressed. Or even starting to blink when I type. Wicked, wicked, wicked.

I was thinking that it just got old and weary, but something tells me there's more to that than just age of the device.

Hard reset doesn't solve the problem, unfortunately. I'm desperate to the point of buying the tablet from Google.
    11-02-13 11:08 AM
    Its weird. Im sitting here with the back off and its working great. Back on and trouble starts again. It sucks because the playbook does everything i need it to do. May have to shop for a new tablet myself. Cheers
    11-02-13 11:28 AM
    I guess I'd look for some place that the back cover contacts or pushes on the innards, wires, connectors and see if you can figure it out. What if you kind of gently flex it across the diagonal or other axis angles.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-03-13 01:21 AM
    Sorry May be a bit off topic. Any one noticing serious lag in browser and keyboard while typing? Thanks. Some times its unusable and frustrating becomes unresponsive.
    11-03-13 01:43 AM
    Well, on a PC, those problems are the sign of a failing monitor or graphics card. Seeing as how Playbook overheats so quickly, it's possible that your CPU chip is cooked.

& yes to the last guy; the keyboard lag on the native browser is annoying & persistent.
    11-03-13 08:09 AM
    Sorry May be a bit off topic. Any one noticing serious lag in browser and keyboard while typing? Thanks. Some times its unusable and frustrating becomes unresponsive.
    OrigamiBrowser - BlackBerry World
    11-03-13 09:00 AM
    11-03-13 09:02 AM
    Yes, not all the time but it happens.
    11-03-13 09:06 AM
    I'm pretty sure it's not because of the cpu over heating because it automatically screws up once the back is back on. It doesn't have time to over heat. In saying that, do you suppose the back cover may be warped because of the heat the playbook has produced over time?
    11-03-13 04:45 PM
    I'm pretty sure it's not because of the cpu over heating because it automatically screws up once the back is back on. It doesn't have time to over heat. In saying that, do you suppose the back cover may be warped because of the heat the playbook has produced over time?
    11-03-13 05:15 PM
    ... Seeing as how Playbook overheats so quickly, it's possible that your CPU chip is cooked.
    I've had my Playbook for 2 years and it hasn't overheated yet.
    The symptoms actually sound more like the screen is being twisted or a connector is being moved.
    Read the post SEAWARRIOR has repeatedly linked to.
    11-05-13 08:24 PM
    Well, since my PlayBook 64GB+WIFI is pretty old now and I always wanted one with 3G/4G connectivity, I've made a decision. My vacation is coming soon. And I'm heading to Indonesia. Will spend one day in Jakarta and grab a PlayBook 4G there.

I know, PB is rather a dying dinosaur. But I just don't want anything else. Wish, one day BlackBerry will make the new PB with OS10. That would be dream come true.
    11-07-13 05:40 AM
    This is what I have come up with. I have relieved the pressure around the volume up button. It seems to come out of sleep more now. Every now and then it will screw up and I just push the power and volume up button and it works. Still not 100 percent but at least I can use it now.
    11-09-13 11:36 AM
    On perhaps an unrelated issue, when I wake up my 64GB WIFI Playbook, some times the screen orientation is upside down. It then takes several attempts to get the screen properly oriented before I enter my password. I don't have the orientation lock on because I want to use some apps in horizontal mode while others in vertical mode, Is there a known issue with the orientation sensor getting old or stuck?
    11-09-13 01:32 PM