Any Android apps will have to be ported and submitted to RIM for approval into AppWorld, I don't see that being an issue. As for Flash, its always been a buggy vulnerability.

The Playbook in the Enterprise might be in for a bigger problem.

Android Apps and Flash.

McAfee released their 1st Quarter Threats report for 2011 recently and sited that:

"The new frontier of malware and cybercrime may be mobile, but in many ways it looks very familiar. During this quarter the Android was the second most popular environment for mobile malware, after Symbian OS"

In a recent vulnerability report from Kaspersky Lab's vulnerability report, Adobe Flash player flaws are listed as #2 and #3 and Adobe as a whole took 5 out of 10 spots.

Anybody that does any Microsoft patch deployment, will tell you that Flash is one of the worse pieces of vulnerable software written. To the point, where we no longer allow it on our corporate systems.

I understand that Android apps are coming, and they have to be re-complied, etc. But the Playbook might have some surprises in store once the floods gates open. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it is happening right now on Android devices.

-Kang
    06-02-11 01:31 PM
    The Playbook in the Enterprise might be in for a bigger problem.

Android Apps and Flash.

McAfee released their 1st Quarter Threats report for 2011 recently and sited that:

"The new frontier of malware and cybercrime may be mobile, but in many ways it looks very familiar. During this quarter the Android was the second most popular environment for mobile malware, after Symbian OS"

In a recent vulnerability report from Kaspersky Lab's vulnerability report, Adobe Flash player flaws are listed as #2 and #3 and Adobe as a whole took 5 out of 10 spots.

Anybody that does any Microsoft patch deployment, will tell you that Flash is one of the worse pieces of vulnerable software written. To the point, where we no longer allow it on our corporate systems.

I understand that Android apps are coming, and they have to be re-complied, etc. But the Playbook might have some surprises in store once the floods gates open. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it is happening right now on Android devices.

-Kang
    Forgive my ignroance but how do these items effect the PB's enterprise usfulness?
    06-02-11 01:34 PM
    Curious, what is a realtime OS?

-Kang
    Real-time operating system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    tstrike34 likes this.
    06-02-11 01:36 PM
    Interesting. Thanks for the link re: real-time OS.
    06-02-11 01:48 PM
    Forgive my ignroance but how do these items effect the PB's enterprise usfulness?
    Perfectly good question! From my companies perspective, we would have to figure out a way to disable Flash from BES (Which we can't do today). This way the potential for any vulnerabilities is stopped and our security compliance is satisfied. Our systems have to be PCI compliant and Flash is always at the top of the list with vulnerabilities that make systems constantly fail PCI scans.

-Kang
    06-02-11 01:50 PM
    The android vulnerabilities aren't necessarily flash related though... It has more to do with the completely open market. You can distribute 100 malicious apps to the largest ecosystem with zero checks and zero moderation and it will take a while before it is publicly found out and removed.

Even then there are other market places that you can essentially rinse and repeat...
    06-02-11 01:53 PM
    Excellent, thanks for the link.

-Kang
    06-02-11 01:54 PM
    The android vulnerabilities aren't necessarily flash related though...
    You're correct. The Android and Flash issues are completely separate security concerns.

-Kang
    06-02-11 01:57 PM
    Our systems have to be PCI compliant

-Kang
    Great my credit card security is possibly being handled by people who have no clue what FIPS is Especially when you do a Google search on PCI Compliant FIPS and it seems like a lot of things pop up that mention both in the same product. Just put the chip in my arm now so at least the person trying to steal my identity will draw attention by carrying around a severed arm!
    06-02-11 02:10 PM
    I utilize technology from various manufactures (MacBook Pro, Bold 9700, PlayBook, HP RPN Cal, TomTom GPS, iPod Touch, etc.) So I have no alliance to anyone manufacture. I buy the best technology that meet my needs.

I think the PlayBook is Awesome and will mature to be one of the most technologically advanced tablets - Just my opinion!

Ian - Including a home button requires the addition of hardware and wiring. Why have it if all other functions are done by touch?? I personally see no benefit.

Kang - Real Time OS = Real Time Operating System = Running Multiple Applications Simultaneously. This is great for multitasking because I can freely move between multiple apps without missing a beat.

Kang - I don't think that the iPhone supports multiple focus points. I may be wrong but I think you are taking about auto/manual focus. Maybe someone out their can elaborate on the iPhone focus capabilities. I took a photo of my MacBook screen with my PB and it looks good to me, so I have no idea what you are complaining about.
    06-02-11 05:24 PM
    Kang - Real Time OS = Real Time Operating System = Running Multiple Applications Simultaneously. This is great for multitasking because I can freely move between multiple apps without missing a beat.
    RTOS is all about scheduling and response time, and has no direct relation to multitasking. Computer and device operating systems have done multitasking for decades independent of RTOS. And how quickly you switch between apps is a UI trait that isn't coupled to multitasking or RTOS. Think about it -- if RTOS were germane to UI switching between apps, you (the user) would need to have a response time in microseconds to even appreciate it. Unless you're the six million dollar man, I doubt that's the case. Heck, the animations in the PlayBook's OS can't even keep pace with what an RTOS is capable of.

Whenever I see RTOS mentioned here, it seems to be more about throwing around big words rather than citing anything relevant to the PlayBook. QNX is a RTOS, and that's commendable for applications in which RTOS is important. But that factor is not something that plays significantly into a tablet device with a touch interface. It doesn't matter in this application of QNX right now.

Kang - I don't think that the iPhone supports multiple focus points. I may be wrong but I think you are taking about auto/manual focus. Maybe someone out their can elaborate on the iPhone focus capabilities.
    iPhone 4 lets you set separate focus and exposure points. That's all.
    tstrike34 likes this.
    06-02-11 08:32 PM
    Enough! The next user to attack other users or suggest another is a troll (whether justified or not) will be risking exclusion from the forums. If you want to see "Banned" next to your names, carry on with the personal attacks, we have plenty of space available in the troll-jail.

Update: It's too late in my day to tidy the thread. I'll review and clean up the mess in the morning.
    06-02-11 08:35 PM
    Why is it that when a user attack's the PlayBook for it's capability or lack thereof, Moderator's allow the posts to continue no matter how disingenuous the user may be.

But when I posted what was a true and factual list of iPad2 criticisms, the thread was locked out! >> You know you have an iPad2 when: ......

I am not a RIM FanBoy but I do believe the PlayBook does kick iPad2 **** when it comes to capability and performance.
    06-02-11 10:49 PM

I am not a RIM FanBoy but I do believe the PlayBook does kick iPad2 **** when it comes to capability and performance.

I hate Apple like cancer, but kicking posterior seems way over the top, a beaten cliche.

There's a few decent hardware advantages--for now, but bet your life that Snapple will come STORMING back, it's simply a complete given. The bigger concern, as a previous poster addressed and I did a couple weeks back, is that RIM is getting wobbly between enterprise and consumer, and thus far has hurt it's superb enterprise branding with an utterly not ready for prime time device, as the OP only began to detail.

I can't do business on it and wouldn't dream of commending to anyone adopting it for business purposes now or any time soon.

Time will tell, but RIM may well be outfoxed and outclassed or at the very least perilously out crowded in this space by the time they figure themselves out and ramp the OS and the application stream to enterprise needs. The consumer world will always go with flashier, newer, toyish things, or Snapple. I can't imagine they have a chance to win big time with consumers.

The winning power play would have been to flat out DEFINE the enterprise tablet out of the gate and then go hard on consumer applications and marketing as a side trek. Maybe they felt they did that with phones and didn't get enough marketshare. If so, that's because of marketing, not product development. I never felt they began to make their phone's advantages well known enough, especially after that ******** iSmudge captured all the doosh vote.

Now they've tried to split the baby and whatever buzz there is will quickly turn to boos if they don't step it up considerably by Christmas.

I suspect ultimately they will go back to their roots and satisfy enterprise needs, especially if no other provider masters security. I love that I can give a big F-U to whack security traps like flash and java that can easily be way more trouble than they're worth. I'm not happy with applications security. They will need to dig deeper there to win enterprise support as well.

Good original post. I am greatly chagrined to agree with nearly all you say, other than the home thing. Couldn't care less, basic PlaypenBook nav is more or less no sweat, so long as you aren't trying to find an application quickly.
    KangTsui likes this.
    06-03-11 12:39 AM
    Perfectly good question! From my companies perspective, we would have to figure out a way to disable Flash from BES (Which we can't do today). This way the potential for any vulnerabilities is stopped and our security compliance is satisfied. Our systems have to be PCI compliant and Flash is always at the top of the list with vulnerabilities that make systems constantly fail PCI scans.

-Kang
    You mean PCIDSS compliant right? If that is the case, I see FIPs in your near future... Like it or not.

06-03-11 03:51 AM
    Thanks alot to the OP for his in-depth post. And I can only agree to his observations. The Playbook is nice and sleek, it is just not yet ready for the enterprise.

I got my Playbook about three weeks ago to test it out for eventual distribution in our company. But last week I had to go to our CIO and tell him that I would not recommend the Playbook for now and probably the next 6 months at least. My bullet points for this decision were as follows:

- No Citrix Receiver (big bummer for us)
    - No video conference solution that is not RIM-only
    - No native BES mail on the PB
    - No ActiveSync Exchange mail (for those without Blackberries)
    - Our IP/Sec VPN over Cisco ASA is not supported (on the Torch it works)
    - I cannot control the PB from BES so far
    - General lack of professional grade apps meant for the enterprise

My conclusion for now is that the Playbook can only be used for things that justify its name. I also cannot understand the timing that RIM has set for the NDK and SDK release on the Playbook. The release of the native development kit in late summer/autumn only means that the really interesting applications will only be developed and released several months after that date. I am not sure if RIM didn't cut their own flesh with that decision. The PB is a very fine device with a lot of potential but unfortunately this potential is left unused so far.
    06-03-11 04:35 AM
    Good post, thanks, I must say from a professional user point of view, I work a lot with pdfs, and so far, the ability of the PB to work with them is really poor, no bookmarks, annotation features and so on...hopefully the device will get better after the summer once it is released worldwide, and native pim comes in
    KangTsui and Maestrodog like this.
    06-03-11 05:19 AM
    Another interesting thing happened yesterday with the Playbook during testing, that I thought was interesting. We wanted to demo the capabilities of the Playbook to a senior management meeting next week. We thought that we could purchase a RIM adapter from HDMI to VGA. Since all of our broad room projectors are still VGA. RIM doesn't appear to make such a device. I know there are 3rd parties that make them.

RIM, has once again forgotten about the Enterprise. I'm willing to bet there are way more companies with VGA projectors than HDMI projectors. And I'm willing to bet that they are not going to upgrade them just because of the Playbook.

We will try and hunt down an HDMI computer monitor and hope we can give one-on-one demo's.

Has anybody tried an HDMI to VGA adapter? If so what adapter did you buy?

-Kang
    06-03-11 07:13 AM
    Kang - I don't think that the iPhone supports multiple focus points. I may be wrong but I think you are taking about auto/manual focus. Maybe someone out their can elaborate on the iPhone focus capabilities. I took a photo of my MacBook screen with my PB and it looks good to me, so I have no idea what you are complaining about.
    Not multiple focus points, sorry if I have mislead you. It has the ability to select a focus point, anywhere you tap on the screen. The Playbook only appears to be able to do center focusing. This is a bit of a pain when the item you're trying to document is off center. Because the focus point appears to be in the center, so does the exposure points. This causes problems in certain types of lighting where you don't care if the background is blown out, but you need the foreground with proper exposure and your subject off center.

More control is what I would like to see... (How about HDR while you're at it?)
    06-03-11 07:26 AM
    Has anybody tried an HDMI to VGA adapter? If so what adapter did you buy?

-Kang
    Apparently people on Crackberry have gotten the HP HDMI to VGA Adapter to work:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/pl...67/index2.html

HP HDMI to VGA Display Adapter | HP� Official Store

Apparently this same adapter doesn't work on the Xoom because the Xoom's port doesn't put out enough power and you have to rig it to provide external power.
    06-03-11 09:11 AM
    Apparently people on Crackberry have gotten the HP HDMI to VGA Adapter to work:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/pl...67/index2.html

HP HDMI to VGA Display Adapter | HP� Official Store

Apparently this same adapter doesn't work on the Xoom because the Xoom's port doesn't put out enough power and you have to rig it to provide external power.
    Thanks!

-Kang
    06-03-11 09:29 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD