Hello,

I am the proud owner of 5 PlayBooks (2 x 64 gb wifi, 3 x 32 gb 4G LTE). One the 4G LTE units is a recent purchase that is still in the box. I don't have a SIM card for it yet and I'm reluctant to use it until I do because I experienced major problems in the past when I loaded an OS update that wasn't supported by my carrier. Naturally I am concerned about BlackBerry turning off the update servers in the near future. I contacted BlackBerry support and was told that the PlayBook is definitely not "end of life" and that all such rumours are absolutely incorrect, yet I've seen the website that relays the end of life info. What to make of this?!?
    04-08-14 10:36 AM
    Perhaps the tech in question did not read BlackBerry's own Software Support Life Cycle document posted on the website.....

BlackBerry PlayBook OS support officially ends this April | CrackBerry.com

Software Support Life Cycle - US (click on the BlackBerry OS tab)

That being said there is no reason to believe they will immediately take down the update servers and or totally abandon PlayBook users.
    04-08-14 10:43 AM
    Hello,

I am the proud owner of 5 PlayBooks (2 x 64 gb wifi, 3 x 32 gb 4G LTE). One the 4G LTE units is a recent purchase that is still in the box. I don't have a SIM card for it yet and I'm reluctant to use it until I do because I experienced major problems in the past when I loaded an OS update that wasn't supported by my carrier. Naturally I am concerned about BlackBerry turning off the update servers in the near future. I contacted BlackBerry support and was told that the PlayBook is definitely not "end of life" and that all such rumours are absolutely incorrect, yet I've seen the website that relays the end of life info. What to make of this?!?
    The PlayBook is indeed end of life. It'll be phased out (probably gradually). I don't expect to see any more OS updates unless they're security updates (if even that).

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 10:48 AM
    BB tried to shutdown the servers earlier this year but brought them back when people complained. By this time next year you won't be able to download PB updates from BB's website.
    04-08-14 04:49 PM
    BB tried to shutdown the servers earlier this year but brought them back when people complained. By this time next year you won't be able to download PB updates from BB's website.
    So, does this mean that we can no longer do a security wipe on the device since a wipe puts the device back to the original OS and updates it to the current OS.
    rabidpilot likes this.
    04-09-14 01:54 PM
    I thought I read on here somewhere that the recent update had omitted the need of connecting to server on security wipes etc....anyone tried it since the last update??....they did fix the issue and the servers did come back online...it was just an issue for a few days/week....

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    04-09-14 03:02 PM
    I am now very interested in the security wipe issue.
    Next question is and I'm sure it's been mentioned but app world will be gone too?
    04-09-14 05:40 PM
    Bought a 16g for $60 yesterday brand new on kijiji for the kids.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 05:47 PM
    I would say it's end of afterlife at this point.
    04-10-14 12:13 AM
    It definitely is end of life. That being said, it still meets the majority of my basic needs for a tablet (video, music, ebooks, email, kids games), and until it stops meeting my needs, or stops functioning, I'm not planning on replacing it in the near future. I bought it when the fire sales started about 1.5 years ago, and it's been working well since.

Honestly, my big concern at this point is if something occurs to require a wipe of the PB to recover, and BBRY turns off the update servers. That would be the biggest let-down.
    04-10-14 07:46 AM
    please if anyone have done security wipe let us know!
    04-10-14 09:15 AM
    I thought I read on here somewhere that the recent update had omitted the need of connecting to server on security wipes etc....anyone tried it since the last update??....they did fix the issue and the servers did come back online...it was just an issue for a few days/week....

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    I just did wipe my PB 64 GB one as it is getting slow because of huge apps. Of course it is running latest OS released in March 2014 (I think 1907). After wiping the device, its went to old update and asked for up gradation of new OS i.e. 1907 of 388 MB. So surly if we wipe now it will go to old software only. BlackBerry needs to give one more update to rectify the same.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 09:27 AM
    So wiping device for re load may be a bad idea.
    04-10-14 09:53 AM
    So wiping device for re load may be a bad idea.
    Right now it won't present any problems, but yeah - that would be an issue if they turned off the servers.

As a piece of hardware, it's still very useful. Why can't BlackBerry release documents and unlock the boot rom on these things, so ppl like me can load different OS onto it or enhance the one there already? I tried everything to get into the protected boot area of these and have given up. I can't even make some of the apps I want because the API don't expose a lot the areas needed. Seems like only BlackBerry can (like how bridge works for example. I could write a new one in C++ and cross deploy. No apps are allowed that level of integration PB side if I make them.)

It won't do any harm to the PB this late on in its life...
    04-10-14 10:38 AM
    Ok I appreciate the clarification. Maybe I'll wipe mine and re load this weekend just to get a fresh start! I agree it still has so much use for me.
    04-10-14 11:41 AM
    Ok I appreciate the clarification. Maybe I'll wipe mine and re load this weekend just to get a fresh start! I agree it still has so much use for me.
    Careful with the wipe. You will lose all your data , any sideloaded apps and any apps that are no longer supported in BB. World. Better to do the three finger reset or simply turn off and on and clean your browser cache.
    04-10-14 08:29 PM
    Problem with wiping as I found out was restore is not working and I had 12gigs of data on my 32g pb. Was a little frustrated.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 05:46 PM
    Problem with wiping as I found out was restore is not working and I had 12gigs of data on my 32g pb. Was a little frustrated.
    It's been stated here before numerous times and way before the PB was"EOL'd", manually back up your media, don't trust the desktop software to work properly.
    04-14-14 06:04 PM
    Hello,

BlackBerry told you correct. The PlayBook is not EOL. It's part of the BlackBerry Phone / Tablet product range. We have just received an OS update to 2.1.0.1917 which improved performance and security. CrackBerry are not the press department of BlackBerry. True Facts!! Enjoy using you BlackBerry PlayBooks.

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    Fire In The Bones likes this.
    04-15-14 03:00 AM
    BlackBerry told you correct. The PlayBook is not EOL. It's part of the BlackBerry Phone / Tablet product range.
    Wow, the PlayBook is 4 years old. It's perfectly reasonable to expect it to be EOL in the tech industry at this point. This is the last update to the OS, consumer support ends imminently and there's no BlackBerry 10 for it.

You miss BlackBerry's press releases and discussion on this? Nice rock your hiding under... :-D
    04-15-14 05:05 AM
    Wow, the PlayBook is 4 years old. It's perfectly reasonable to expect it to be EOL in the tech industry at this point. This is the last update to the OS, consumer support ends imminently and there's no BlackBerry 10 for it.

You miss BlackBerry's press releases and discussion on this? Nice rock your hiding under... :-D
    Show me the press release. CrackBerry are not the BlackBerry press department. FACT.

04-15-14 05:28 AM
    Show me the press release. CrackBerry are not the BlackBerry press department. FACT.

It's end of life. SVP Executives have said it and the darn CEO said it. The PlayBook is End of Life as of April 2014. Period. Companies do not issue press releases when their products go EoL, we never do at Rogers when phones are EoL'ed

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 06:22 AM
    It's end of life. SVP Executives have said it and the darn CEO said it. The PlayBook is End of Life as of April 2014. Period. Companies do not issue press releases when their products go EoL, we never do at Rogers when phones are EoL'ed

Posted via CB10
    I never said press release, the other fella did, I said show me..

The previous CEO said no BB10. Not one single CURRENT employee has said EOL PlayBook. Unless you can prove me wrong?

04-15-14 07:12 AM
    I never said press release, the other fella did, I said show me..

The previous CEO said no BB10. Not one single CURRENT employee has said EOL PlayBook. Unless you can prove me wrong?

Yes, Alec Saunders did. You can go search for his tweet and a referral link to the CB website he himself provided.

It's EoL because the specifications of this device have been finalized back in 2010, with the official release date anniversary coming this weekend, marking 3 years since the PlayBook was first launched to the public.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 07:22 AM
    Yes, Alec Saunders did. You can go search for his tweet and a referral link to the CB website he himself provided.

It's EoL because the specifications of this device have been finalized back in 2010, with the official release date anniversary coming this weekend, marking 3 years since the PlayBook was first launched to the public.

Posted via CB10
    Think your wrong mate. Looks like you are referring to the July 2013 tweet 'no more significant updates' for the PlayBook when he was still at BlackBerry.

04-15-14 08:37 AM
47 12