I am new to this board and I am sure this has been discussed a million times, but I really need the inside track on the Playbook. I am very poor these days thanks to bad Karma, bad health and a crooked ex-partner so I can't afford to screw up on my tablet purchase. I am reasonably computer savvy and have researched the Playbook enough to understand most pros and cons but here's what I need to know from hands-on users:

1. They are giving away the 16 Gig machine in Winnipeg ($149.00) but how useful is that small of a memory? My uses will be reading books, email checking, and general browsing. All other stuff on the laptop. What do I need - 16, 32 0r 64 Gig?

2. I often download books (pdf, ebooks, djview). Is it easy to convert these to some form that the Playbook will handle (on the laptop) and use the usb connection to load them? (I am aware of Calibre.) I assume that the Playbook will just show up on the computer as a drive and I can drag and drop, but I am not sure. Will the Playbook handle pdf well or is mobi better?

3. I have some concerns about screen size both for reading and browsing. The Kindles etc are small and I hope that using the Playbook length-ways like a Kindle would work, but is it a comfortable read?

4. I know you folks are enamored by the Playbook, but seriously is it glitchy or just does the occasional goof like any computer?

Any help will assist me in what is currently a big purchase. (I used to spend this much on a couple of Cuban cigars, but hey, I am more relaxed now.)

Thx.

escher7
    1. 16G is enough for what you initially want... But once you get more familiar with what PB can do you might want more memory.

2.1 yeah its easy to convert.
    2.2 yeah it will show up as a drive once you set it up, and setting it up is easy too, and you can always ask for help here if you can't figure it out
    2.3 yeah PB handles PDF well, the native app is decent, there are a few sideloaded android apps works better.

3. PB's screen is among the best of all tablets, yes it does support portrait mode for both reading and browsing. But I prefer browsing in landscape mode, and reading and writing emails in portrait mode.

4. Definitely occasional, and haven't seen anything can't be fixed by a reboot, and I can't remember when was the last time that I rebooted because of problem.

5. CB is a great resource for BB or PB users, even though you have to ignore more this than you have to ignore before, but in general you can find help on most questions here.
    08-28-12 08:32 AM
    Escher1:

If you don't plan on storing lots of videos and/or music/photos, 16gigs would probably serve you very well. Ebooks and pdf's are generally not very large files. I have hundreds of books on my much more limited Kindle3.

You have already mentioned Calibre so you know the issue. Some formats will need conversion or encryption removed. Kindle Android works pretty darn well on the pb when sideloaded.

PDF novels and such without graphics or images would read fine on the pb. Very fancy pdf "books" could be harder to read if you need to scroll around.

The size is similar to my kindle3 as far as page size. The smaller size and weight makes it easier to use as a book reader than some of the other larger tablets.

It really is not very glitchy at all. The occasional burp. I'm sure that many folks have not run into any problems.

Just remember that there are thousands of apps but not hundreds of thousands. But the things you mentioned are definitely accommodated.

The negatives are that some of us want MORE and we hope it will come.
    08-28-12 09:30 AM
    ... I can't afford to screw up on my tablet purchase. I am reasonably computer savvy and have researched the Playbook enough to understand most pros and cons...
    1. They are giving away the 16 Gig machine in Winnipeg ($149.00) but how useful is that small of a memory? My uses will be reading books, email checking, and general browsing. All other stuff on the laptop. What do I need - 16, 32 0r 64 Gig?
    The BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB model is more than adequate for reading, web surfing, and email.

2. I often download books (pdf, ebooks, djview). Is it easy to convert these to some form that the Playbook will handle (on the laptop) and use the usb connection to load them? (I am aware of Calibre.) I assume that the Playbook will just show up on the computer as a drive and I can drag and drop, but I am not sure. Will the Playbook handle pdf well or is mobi better?
    The BlackBerry PlayBook handles PDF and ebooks very well particularly if you choose to install a third-party application, preferably non-Android, onto the tablet via BlackBerry AppWorld.

3. I have some concerns about screen size both for reading and browsing. The Kindles etc are small and I hope that using the Playbook length-ways like a Kindle would work, but is it a comfortable read?
    In part my BlackBerry PlayBook is used to maintain an externally accessibly blog and an internally accessible wiki. The 7-inch screen size has not posed any usability issues but that could be attributable to the Bluetooth keyboard. As for reading ebooks and PDF documents the form factor of this tablet is ideal. The lighter weight of the Kindle is really nice but it does not measure up to the BlackBerry PlayBook overall.

4. I know you folks are enamored by the Playbook, but seriously is it glitchy or just does the occasional goof like any computer?
    I dare say 99% of the glitches with this tablet can be traced to either a ported Android application running in the BlackBerry Android Player subsystem, or to Research In Motion's lack lustre quality assurance processes which leads to releases of BlackBerry Tablet OS bricking some people's tablets.

At CAD/USD149.00 the BlackBerry PlayBook is a bargain. Beware though of sales on eBay and Craigslist which in some instances have been stolen or non-functional. If buying used, contact BlackBerry PlayBook Support BEFORE handing over your money and confirm the tablet (PIN) has not been blocked or reported stolen.
    08-28-12 09:55 AM
    So the guy comes here asking for help and the first few posts, couldn't read past a few of the insults he was getting. Then you wonder why most people think that Crackberry users are nothing more than bunch of jerks? Seriously.
    tdexter77 likes this.
    08-28-12 12:00 PM
    Because the PB has a nice, bright, 7" screen which would lend itself nicely for navigation use? Why doesn't RIM have BB Traffic for PlayBook? Seems silly, in the face of Google's offerings. Bing is a cop-out, as far as I am concerned.

OP, what version of Google Maps did you sideload? The latest versions, 6.x are very finicky and can crash easily. I've used version 6.2 of Google Maps/Latitude with both OS 2.0 and 2.1 without issue:

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ivated-704226/

You can also try Nokia Maps:

Nokia Maps

Though I've never used it while travelling.
    I am using 6.2 and it definitely freezes over bridge. It is a little better over my hotspot but definitely not as good as I hoped. I am running 2.1.0.840 on my Playbook
    08-28-12 08:31 PM
    So the guy comes here asking for help and the first few posts, couldn't read past a few of the insults he was getting. Then you wonder why most people think that Crackberry users are nothing more than bunch of jerks? Seriously.
    Thank you for getting what I was asking. Thanks to the majority of the responses as they were helpful. To all the haters and people just being nasty....sorry for asking for help. I am not trolling or insulting anyone here. For the most part the CrackBerry community is great for help, walk through and support but some of the members just miss the point of sites such as this.
    mud314 likes this.
    08-28-12 08:48 PM
    Thanks to all who answered my questions re the usefulness of the 16 Gig Playbook. I will run with the 16 as the whole point is to get something workable for cheap. (If I can find one - just checked Future Shop and they only have 32's and 64's left.)

Thanks again.

escher7
    08-28-12 09:49 PM
    I would assume that most people have purchased one of the navigational GPS such as Garmin, Magellan or TomTom. So why rely on your BB or Playbook to work as a GPS? Beats me. I still have an old Garmin GPS and it works just fine.

Of course if you don't have any of the above, then I can see the sense of getting a GPS App for the PB.
    08-28-12 11:38 PM
    I would assume that most people have purchased one of the navigational GPS such as Garmin, Magellan or TomTom. So why rely on your BB or Playbook to work as a GPS? Beats me. I still have an old Garmin GPS and it works just fine.

Of course if you don't have any of the above, then I can see the sense of getting a GPS App for the PB.
    It probably is a matter of wanting to simplify things. One device to serve many or even all purposes. You are correct - currently, my TomTom works better than either my pb or my bbphone where the apps are not as fully featured or as powerful. And having the maps on board, even if they are older, also makes it more useful in remote locations. But it is another device to keep charged or to power. I already carry along my phone. I like my pb and the car gets crowded!
    sagec likes this.
    08-29-12 12:04 AM
    I doubt if any navigation app can make up for stand alone GPS device.. maybe in the future but as of now it's difficult to say.. There are loads of other native options within a standalone GPS device and the GPS lock is instant. Battery drain, reliability, additional options (car service, gas stations, hotels,) many things are taken into consideration. Being inexpensive and also not disturbed by phone calls, messages, etc.. I don't know how mobiles will ever replace this..

However, what I would lovveeeee to see is.. PB + BB combination of Navigation leaving both devices independent but master control available on the BB10..
    08-29-12 11:40 PM
    Follow up:

I bought the 16gig (using it now). Seems more than adequate as you guys said. No problems with browsing or email. Want to try some of the books on my lap but it is slightly crashed right now and won't take the BB install. Guess I can download something on this machine.

Thanks again.

Escher7
    09-01-12 07:18 PM
    I would go straight to 2.1.0.840 beta... it performs better than the official 2.0 imho, the android player seems to be faster and less crashes too.
    09-01-12 08:15 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD