OK....so I spent the better part of the morning looking for a great navigation app for my PlayBook.....and I finally found a bar file for Google Latitude as I have tried many navigation apps in AppWorld only to be let down by lack of features. I sideloaded Latitude and tested it out in my living room....was working flawlessly so I figured I would test it out in a short car trip with the family. Prior to leaving I tested the data connection with both Bridge and WiFi and there were no issues with either so I moved onto a real life test. I got the family piled into the car and typed in the address....it pulled up the address....when I hit navigate....it froze. I then turned on my hotspot on my 9900 as I thought the bridge connection might not be fast enough....still didn't work. Finally I re-started the PlayBook and it worked for about 10 minutes then forced closed. OK....so here is the embarrassing part.....my wife turns on her hotspot on her Galaxy S2 and then hits Latitude on her Galaxy Tab 8.9 and it works perfectly....very embarrassing that my PlayBook does not have a quality navigation app....ANY SUGGESTIONS? I would love an app that does real time navigation via bridge but would take one that I could use via my 9900's hotspot....

Sorry for the long post but I need help!!
    08-26-12 05:43 PM
    ...OK....so here is the embarrassing part.....my wife turns on her hotspot on her Galaxy S2 and then hits Latitude on her Galaxy Tab 8.9 and it works perfectly....very embarrassing that my PlayBook does not have a quality navigation app....ANY SUGGESTIONS? I would love an app that does real time navigation via bridge but would take one that I could use via my 9900's hotspot....

Sorry for the long post but I need help!!
    Well of course Google latitude would work 'perfectly' on an Android phone! It's an Android app!

I'm embarrassed for you if you thought it would work better or on par with an android device.
    08-26-12 05:51 PM
    Why would you bother to use the PB for nav when you had your BB the whole time ? BB Traffic is a solid app and works great. Lol, some people
    08-26-12 06:03 PM
    I love my PlayBook =). I am never embarrassed and I always brag about it and make my friends tablets look like crap. I like talking crap to them.
    stevepar and axeman1000 like this.
    08-26-12 06:07 PM
    Lattitude is not really a Nav app. It's about location sharing. It still uses Google Maps for Nav.

There are a zillion threads already about RT Nav apps. Perhaps you should check them out.
    08-26-12 06:12 PM
    I have yet to find any Google Aps that work well on my PB.
    08-26-12 06:13 PM
    Get Osmand, free in App World, which has voice guided navigation and which works much better than Google, and does not need wifi or a data connection to work.
    endevour, tdexter77 and diegonei like this.
    08-26-12 06:38 PM
    Get Osmand, free in App World, which has voice guided navigation and which works much better than Google, and does not need wifi or a data connection to work.
    It's an Android app... Kinda disappointed, I don't like to rely on the Player... Let's see how good this is...
    08-26-12 06:51 PM
    I use Magellan Compass for my turn by turn navigation on my PlayBook and it works really good. I have it propped on an Arkon tablet car mount ......
    08-26-12 07:04 PM
    It's an Android app... Kinda disappointed, I don't like to rely on the Player... Let's see how good this is...
    I just tried that App....I am disappointed with it just like google nav....a little confusing to use.
    08-26-12 07:08 PM
    I love my PlayBook =). I am never embarrassed and I always brag about it and make my friends tablets look like crap. I like talking crap to them.
    I love my PlayBook too....have had it since it was released....but it was a little embarrassing that I can't do the simple task of navigation on it. It should be a native app since tablets are used to be mobile. Yes I use BB Traffic but wanted it on the 7" screen
    DJBS4LIFE and esk369 like this.
    08-26-12 07:11 PM
    Why can't RIM make Traffic or Maps native apps for our Playbooks?? These are great apps on our phones. Or, why can't they have a show on PB option from your phone for these apps?
    08-26-12 08:00 PM
    What version do you use? I have very 6.2, it is the most stable for pb. It does freeze sometimes but quite usable
    08-26-12 08:19 PM
    I just tried that App....I am disappointed with it just like google nav....a little confusing to use.
    Yeah, me too. It would't find my location at all, I liked the fact I could download the maps and all but still far from what I was hoping.

Why can't RIM make Traffic or Maps native apps for our Playbooks?? These are great apps on our phones. Or, why can't they have a show on PB option from your phone for these apps?
    Quite sure they will be there at BlackBerry 10's launch. Having them over Bridge though would require RIM pulling a few rabbits out of their hats though.
    08-26-12 09:29 PM
    Yeah, me too. It would't find my location at all, I liked the fact I could download the maps and all but still far from what I was hoping.

If Osmand can't find your location, then probably nothing on the PB can.
    08-26-12 10:13 PM
    Why would you bother to use the PB for nav when you had your BB the whole time ? BB Traffic is a solid app and works great. Lol, some people
    Because the PB has a nice, bright, 7" screen which would lend itself nicely for navigation use? Why doesn't RIM have BB Traffic for PlayBook? Seems silly, in the face of Google's offerings. Bing is a cop-out, as far as I am concerned.

OP, what version of Google Maps did you sideload? The latest versions, 6.x are very finicky and can crash easily. I've used version 6.2 of Google Maps/Latitude with both OS 2.0 and 2.1 without issue:

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ivated-704226/

You can also try Nokia Maps:

Nokia Maps

Though I've never used it while travelling.
    VanCity778 likes this.
    08-26-12 10:38 PM
    I would suggest to set yourself a reminder for January -February and when BlackBerry10 hits you can redeem yourself with the Native app built by RIM /Tomtom
    wing2299 likes this.
    08-26-12 11:08 PM
    Hey just relax.. Nothing to be embarrassed about.. If you wife has a better navigation app, you can let her use it when you are together.. It's not about winning it.. It's about getting something done..

At the end you can just say that BlackBerry let's you drive with complete attention (because you have no app to distract you) and that's why BlackBerry rules! haha..

Don't worry.. There are some good paid navigation apps on the App World, if you want to restore you image.. you can make a purchase and thank the developer by leaving a review.
    08-26-12 11:39 PM
    Because the PB has a nice, bright, 7" screen which would lend itself nicely for navigation use? Why doesn't RIM have BB Traffic for PlayBook? Seems silly, in the face of Google's offerings. Bing is a cop-out, as far as I am concerned.

OP, what version of Google Maps did you sideload? The latest versions, 6.x are very finicky and can crash easily. I've used version 6.2 of Google Maps/Latitude with both OS 2.0 and 2.1 without issue:

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ivated-704226/

You can also try Nokia Maps:

Nokia Maps

Though I've never used it while travelling.

I totally agree. We could all name several app that SHOULD be on the PB.
    08-27-12 12:14 AM
    I totally agree. We could all name several app that SHOULD be on the PB.
    Whatever happened to this - Navigate from point A to point B with Magellan Compass for the BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com
    Chaddface likes this.
    08-27-12 12:47 AM
    It's right there in App World Thanks for linking it

Si.
    08-27-12 04:45 AM
    You guys didnt forget about RIM's partnership with TomTom for BB10, right? The partnership can only lead to a native navigation App for BB10 .
    08-27-12 07:24 AM
    Title of the thread should be CrackBerry embarrassment for posting this thread.

As a previous poster said....android/Google app...
    08-27-12 07:56 AM
    You should do like i do:

1 - Go to Google Earth on your pc/laptop and type "point A" and "point B";

1.1 - Get directions;

2 - Printscreen;

3 - Load printscreen to the PB;

4 - Travell!

Works fine everytime

I also have OsmAnd and even if i like it, i wouldn't relly on it for a long trip. I would do like i always do : Those 4 steps above...

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-27-12 08:28 AM
    I think there are several things at play here.

First off being that the PlayBook (on OS 2.0) takes forever to lock onto GPS. Hopefully that is something that gets addressed in the next OS release (I hear the 2.1 beta does lock on faster).

The second thing is the choice in apps. Osmand can work, but it takes a little getting used to. The same can be said for Magellan. Both are better options than Lattitude, which is a social app.

As far as RIM not having Traffic on PlayBook yet, I don't think that is something to worry about. Voice guided directions in Traffic took a while to implement, and only came out relatively recently.

I'm also convinced that the 2.x OS is just a placeholder and test bed for BB10. Once BB10 phone devices come out, the PlayBook will be updated to BB10 as well. More than likely, we'll see a lot more native RIM apps coming out for BB10. Hopefully the development team is working hard on getting BB10 finished, then will work on apps like Traffic, BlackBerry Protect, and so on.
    wing2299 likes this.
    08-27-12 08:52 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD