07-05-12 09:04 PM
83 123 ...
tools
    I do not know what person or group of people came up with the name Playbook but perhaps it is indicative of the corporate thinking that has almost brought Blackberry to its knees. Blackberry owners are not interested in playing at anything- we can leave that to the Apple owners. Additionally the word Playbook is too similar to Playboy - I would prefer to leave the signature off emails sent from my device. Could not some other name be devised - I offer Blackberry Escribe .

May I also offer advice to the BB hierarchy- 4 phones would be sufficient- a basic physical keyboard with no touch screen and a low entry price, a physical keyboard and touch screen phone, a slider keyboard and touch screen and a full touch screen and virtual keyboard phone with twin cameras.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-03-12 07:44 AM
    I agree. PlayBook is a silly name. But so is iPad and Jell Bean! Lol

I also like your idea of 4 phones. I like choice and also keeping it simple. That fits both.
    07-03-12 07:46 AM
    I thought Playbook was a pretty good pick for a name. Perfect description: this is your business and entertainment Playbook.

Not once have I ever thought of Hugh Hefner when thinking about the PB.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    07-03-12 07:58 AM
    I quite like the name.

As another member said here recently that Playbook was named after the notepads baseball team bosses use which apparently are also called Playbooks.

Also, whilst we're talking about funny names, when I first heard this "Dingleberry" thing ??? I lmao. If you're in the UK you will know what it sounds like. *one letter difference.
    07-03-12 08:07 AM
    For a device that was touted as being a "professional device", it is a silly name. But what is really embarrassing is the lack of apps for professionals. Most of the tuely stellar apps for the PlayBook or either Scrapbooking or Games. Took a year to get a very basic email app.

If Microsoft get a close to full version of Office on their tablet, they will destroy RIM's chances in the corporate world.
    07-03-12 08:34 AM
    It's a sports analogy. A playbook a tool to guide business performance. Running plays in business like a coach does on the field. Lots of sports analogies in business esp in North America.
    07-03-12 08:38 AM
    For a device that was touted as being a "professional device", it is a silly name. But what is really embarrassing is the lack of apps for professionals. Most of the tuely stellar apps for the PlayBook or either Scrapbooking or Games. Took a year to get a very basic email app.

If Microsoft get a close to full version of Office on their tablet, they will destroy RIM's chances in the corporate world.
    Jim B. was having orgasms over buying an NHL team and thought it would be cute to name the BlackBerry tablet 'PlayBook' assuming everything shared his sports fetish. Thankfully, the name 'PlayBook' does not appear anywhere on the tablet itself.
    07-03-12 08:39 AM
    It's a sports analogy. A playbook a tool to guide business performance. Running plays in business like a coach does on the field.
    And senior management seem to ignore their book of plays (strategies) as they fail to perform their jobs. The Board of Directors should be demanding executive heads roll down the hallways of Research In Motion.
    07-03-12 08:41 AM
    It's a sports analogy. A playbook a tool to guide business performance. Running plays in business like a coach does on the field. Lots of sports analogies in business esp in North America.
    Oh so they like to play around a use sports analogies over at RIM?

What's the word they use in American football when a player drops the ball....
    07-03-12 08:49 AM
    playbook - a scheme or set of strategies for conducting a business campaign or a political campaign; "they borrowed a page from the playbook of the opposition

I like the name
    07-03-12 09:17 AM
    I'm not going to say its an "embarrassing" name.......but it should have required more thought on RIM's marketing dept.......oh wait...they don't have one
    07-03-12 09:23 AM
    Oh so they like to play around a use sports analogies over at RIM?

What's the word they use in American football when a player drops the ball....
    Fumble.

Still waiting for a touchdown of the Professional tablet.
    07-03-12 09:36 AM
    I thought playbook was a little weird, but not that bad.

I thought the blackbook would have been a better name tho.

I have never thought of playboy when looking at playbook.

I think saying the name playbook is embarrassing is going a bit far. Maybe not the best choice but certainly not embarrassing. Do you think every single blackberry user is a businessman?
    07-03-12 09:58 AM
    Still waiting for a touchdown of the Professional tablet.
    I would say that the Microsoft Surface is an attempt at a Hail Mary pass, we'll see if they score.
    07-03-12 11:01 AM
    What a nice, refreshing and completely original positive thread for a change...

Yawn...

So many business experts around here.

"I bought a phone... Now here's what you should have done..."
    rjedge54 likes this.
    07-03-12 11:06 AM
    My mother thought I was following Playboy on Twitter. I looked, and it was a Playbook twitter page
    07-03-12 11:07 AM
    I really thought they were gonna go with BlackPad, but I think that would have been too close too you know who's name.
    07-03-12 11:11 AM
    Playbook never made me think Playboy. I actually like the name, but then we're sports nuts so the meaning wasn't lost on me. Hoping RIM steps up with BB10 and the Playbook will finally live up to its name.
    07-03-12 11:21 AM
    PlayBook is OK as a name but no more than that.

I wonder, since it was priced so high, if the management did not toy with the name PlayDough .
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-03-12 11:26 AM
    The problem is that the Playbook offers less play than an ipad....
    ...And even less as far as business goes than an ipad.
    ...While claiming it's 1st rate business class.

I bought two Playbooks for video chat when the 16gig ones were $199.00.......
    ....As long as there is someone on the other end from you with another playbook it's great.
    ....Aside from that the Playbook is exceptionally well built ( screams quality ) but amature in what it can do.

I don't think the name hurt the Playbook, it's lack of functionality for all things "play" did.
    07-03-12 11:27 AM
    As another member said here recently that Playbook was named after the notepads baseball team bosses use which apparently are also called Playbooks.
    For my part, I thought of college football playbooks. Which team head coach wouldn't like to get hold of Nick Saban's playbook? With solid playbooks, you've got a critical tool with which to win.
    07-03-12 11:30 AM
    Plus, the term "Playbook" has been used corporately for quite some time.
    07-03-12 11:49 AM
    If they had called it "workbook" and set itself apart from the REAL play books early on as a serious business tool, RIM would be doing much better now.

Instead, we have to attempt to digest names that make us nauseous ...

You think playbook is embarassing?

How about gingerbread, ice cream sandwich, jelly bean, keylime pie.... ughhh

What's next, cough drop? sugarplum?
    I feel sick...
    Will we have to live with this inanity to the end of time if RIM dies?

Long live RIM!!!!! Just for the sake of antacids..
    Last edited by PheonixSun; 07-03-12 at 12:12 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-03-12 11:50 AM
    Names of OSes have always been unusual.

Windows XP was codenamed "Whistler", and Windows Vista was codenamed "Longhorn".

Fedora 17 is codenamed "Beefy Miracle".

Ubuntu 12.04 is codenamed "Precise Pangolin".
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-03-12 11:57 AM
    I do not know what person or group of people came up with the name Playbook but perhaps it is indicative of the corporate thinking that has almost brought Blackberry to its knees. Blackberry owners are not interested in playing at anything- we can leave that to the Apple owners. Additionally the word Playbook is too similar to Playboy - I would prefer to leave the signature off emails sent from my device. Could not some other name be devised - I offer Blackberry Escribe .

May I also offer advice to the BB hierarchy- 4 phones would be sufficient- a basic physical keyboard with no touch screen and a low entry price, a physical keyboard and touch screen phone, a slider keyboard and touch screen and a full touch screen and virtual keyboard phone with twin cameras.
    I'm in with the twin cameras. RIM hasn't given us a front facing camera yet. What up!!!
    07-03-12 11:59 AM
83 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD