Names of OSes have always been unusual.

Windows XP was codenamed "Whistler", and Windows Vista was codenamed "Longhorn".

Fedora 17 is codenamed "Beefy Miracle".

Ubuntu 12.04 is codenamed "Precise Pangolin".
    Good point.

I don't care what it is called if it works well for me.
    07-03-12 12:04 PM
    I think Playbook is an awesome name. Remember its all about how is it the name is to roll off the tongue and how the customer won't for get the name. And since we live in a country where football is huge, I don't see how this would be sucha bad name for a device. If you think the Playbook is an "embarrassing" name, then you should go see the names of some of the android phones are.
    07-03-12 12:06 PM
    I'm in with the twin cameras. RIM hasn't given us a front facing camera yet. What up!!!
    Perhaps RIM people aren't as vain as others....lol
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-03-12 12:07 PM
    I would say that the Microsoft Surface is an attempt at a Hail Mary pass, we'll see if they score.
    Microsoft is like the Dallas Cowboys - they have enough cash that sooner or later they will be able to buy a winning season.
    jegs2 and neilmann like this.
    07-03-12 12:12 PM
    Could be worse - could be called Ice Cream Sandwich or Ginger cake or honeybun or whatever google calls that stuff.
    Last edited by ssbtech; 07-03-12 at 12:19 PM.
    bungaboy and EricB1968 like this.
    07-03-12 12:12 PM
    Could be worse - could be called Ice Cream Sandwich or Ginger cake or honeybun...
    I'm sure RIM would be happy with an Ice Cream Sandwich right about now...
    07-03-12 12:18 PM
    Fedora 17 is codenamed "Beefy Miracle".
    Sweet Jesus that just sounds like a horrible pick-up line.
    07-03-12 12:19 PM
    I went to a release party held by the Cleveland Linux Users Group. The party was at a restaurant/bar called Happy Dog, which is a hot dog place. The party was advertised with a line something like "Get your beefy miracle (hot dog) at the Happy Dog and check out Fedora 17 (Beefy Miracle)" [paraphrased, since I don't remember exactly how it went].
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-03-12 12:40 PM
    PlayBook doesn't sound too cool but iPad sounds just downright nasty IMO. Always reminds me on a monthly female hygiene product. I just can't help it.
    07-03-12 12:47 PM
    Yes it does!!! Even touchpad doesn't sit well with me lol. If you ask me the Playbook has the best name out of all the tablets.
    07-03-12 01:04 PM
    Blackberry owners are not interested in playing at anything- we can leave that to the Apple owners.
    Frankly, this is just a stupid way of thinking. I'm interested in playing, so are the other thousands of people using games and emulators, BlackBerry isn't a company for businesses, or at least it's not supposed to be, it's a company for everyone. If you don't want to have fun with it, and use it only for work, that's great, other people like to have fun with it. Get over it.
    07-03-12 01:29 PM
    I went to a release party held by the Cleveland Linux Users Group. The party was at a restaurant/bar called Happy Dog, which is a hot dog place. The party was advertised with a line something like "Get your beefy miracle (hot dog) at the Happy Dog and check out Fedora 17 (Beefy Miracle)" [paraphrased, since I don't remember exactly how it went].
    What else would you expect from a bunch of computer geeks...lol Beefy Miracle. Sounds like something the guys from 'big bang theory' would name there project.
    07-03-12 02:05 PM
    PlayBook doesn't sound too cool but iPad sounds just downright nasty IMO. Always reminds me on a monthly female hygiene product. I just can't help it.
    If Apple releases a 7" tablet they can call the originals "maxi-pads".
    07-03-12 02:09 PM
    Xoom, Iconia, Transformer. . .

Playbook ain't so bad after all.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    07-03-12 02:13 PM
    If Apple releases a 7" tablet they can call the originals "maxi-pads".
    Or the 7" version could be the miniPad.
    07-03-12 02:15 PM
    Maybe if it was called the Biz PlayBook, it would create expectations to concentrate on useful business Apps and make an enterprise distinction with the competition... And leave Marketing properly inform on a capable work tool, also able to relax with games, etc when the business is done!

Thus presenting ability to do both useful tools and toys. With greater presence of QNX, will need to expand on its additional benefits and historical strenghts of BlackBerry.

An idea among others, making distance with the present center of gravity around games rants.

I'm probably too busy with work to complain at this time,
    rarsen
    07-03-12 03:17 PM
    Frankly, this is just a stupid way of thinking. I'm interested in playing, so are the other thousands of people using games and emulators, BlackBerry isn't a company for businesses, or at least it's not supposed to be, it's a company for everyone. If you don't want to have fun with it, and use it only for work, that's great, other people like to have fun with it. Get over it.
    ^^^exactly right on the nose you beat me to it! LOL... why someone hasn't posted this sooner is beyond me! I hardly use my playbook as a Business tool, its play play play first which is why I think the name is a great name, or else they would have called it the workbook or whatever else along those lines!
    07-03-12 04:12 PM
    I absolutely acknowledge the market share decline in the U.S. and Canada,

Mr. Costanzo said.

While RIM has lost market share in North America, he said it is growing in international markets like Mexico, Argentina, Indonesia, the Middle East and Western Europe.

so why call your only tablet by a name- Playbook- which has no recognisable relevance in the markets where you are looking for growth?
    07-03-12 04:17 PM
    Or the 7" version could be the miniPad.
    LOL that's right!
    07-03-12 04:17 PM
    Hey good looking, would you like a "Beefy Miraccle" to go with that longneck beer? Yep, you're right; it sounds like a bad pick-up line.
    07-03-12 06:04 PM
    My understanding was that one of the serious contenders for the tablet name was the BlackBook, which would have been consistent; a BLACKberry branded electronic noteBOOK. Apparently some felt it might carry a slight racial connotation, though, and I think BlackBook carries even more controversial sexual baggage than potential confusion with Playboy.

BlackPad? Same potential racial connotation and kind of an icky mental picture (if you ask me, anyway).

I never minded Playbook; it's had business and political associations for literally decades (Politico website has a section called "Playbook" about various candidates' strategies, and has for years). And, yes, the "Play" part could have a double-meaning relating to off-hours entertainment.

I think Playbook was actually a pretty good brand name for a Blackberry tablet. It's unfortunate that the botched launch has likely tarnished the brand beyond repair...
    07-03-12 06:21 PM
    The name "Playbook" is a great name. It's probably some of the finest work in terms of marketing to come out of RIM.

The problem was and always will be poor management of the company. The OS and software for the playbook was an still is awful compared to any tablet.

How is it that a company that made its name and money in seamless integration couldn't pull its head outta its long enough to realize that with out key features in the OS and software it would never be a "Professional Grade" tool.

Why include 2 high MP cameras that have poor quality for their intended use? Eg poor low light front facing 3MP cam intended for video conferencing? Poor low light and lack of auto focus on a rear camera that is intended for pictures or snapping notes. Seriously they have a setting for "white board" but does a poor job at snapping notes.

Why include video chat on the Playbook but not push it out on the gen of phones that followed?

Bridge is great if you have a blackberry to pair to but without the Playbook is half a complete product and sales reflect this.

Pricing it as the same price as the iPad at launch knowing it was lacking features? What was RIM thinking?

Sorry my point was they had bigger problems than just picking a decent name.
    07-03-12 06:24 PM
    Hey good looking, would you like a "Beefy Miraccle" to go with that longneck beer? Yep, you're right; it sounds like a bad pick-up line.
    Or as Mae West would have said " . . . . is that a Beefy Miracle in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-03-12 06:38 PM
    Yeah, but it would make a great t-shirt...
    07-03-12 06:43 PM
    Yeah, but it would make a great t-shirt...
    Or pair of boxers?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-03-12 07:05 PM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD