Over a year ago I bought an unlocked Storm 9530 which has 3G capabilities on verizon but here on movistar argentina I can only connect to the EDGE network. This isnt much of an issue with my Storm, because I dont do much web browsing on my phone anyways (maily email for work and bbm) but on my PB browsing is painfully slow. In the office I have wifi, but i do spend a good amount of time outside of the office, where bridge functions are great, and most days i actually keep my phone locked in my pocket and use my PB all day long . . . but the browser is horrible.

I guess its a combination of an outdated phone (slow processor), and an outdated network, but in theory any unlocked phone from the US would have the same inability to connect to 3G here no?

The only option would be to buy a phone from movistar, but the prices are re di cu lous, ex: curve 8530 WITH contract still runs you about $350 us and the day Movistar gives you an upgrade is the day hel freezes over.

Sorry, but I just had to rant because Ive been pretty fed up with movistar, I lived in th us for a couple of years and now i can honestly say that I took for granted having a good network and good speeds, on a decent carrier!

So what network are you on??? and does it affect the performance of your blaybook???

Happy Friday to all PB users!
    Last edited by DMonastra; 03-09-12 at 09:41 AM.
    03-09-12 09:38 AM
    yeah EDGE is slow, I know on my ipad when it hits EDGE, it's useless.
    03-09-12 09:41 AM
    yeah EDGE is slow, I know on my ipad when it hits EDGE, it's useless.
    Yeah its pretty bad :S
    03-10-12 09:06 AM
    Buying a newer better phone might help a little bit, but if you are in an area that doesn't have 3g service, there's not much you can do. EDGE is painfully slow no matter what phone you have.
    03-10-12 09:18 AM
    Bridged with a BB7 phones on the H+ network browsing speeds are blisteringly fast.
    03-10-12 10:57 AM
    You need to check what freqs your carrier uses for 3G, then check the phones to make sure they match up. You can always find phones on eBay.

AT&T and T-Mobile use different freqs so while you can unlock either ones phone for use on the other, you only get 2G speeds.
    Last edited by saudadeii; 03-10-12 at 06:37 PM. Reason: typo
    diegonei likes this.
    03-10-12 11:05 AM
    I think you need a att phone there.
    03-10-12 03:37 PM
    I think you need a att phone there.
    You could try this... Or...

You need to check what freqs your carrier uses for 3G, then check the phones to make sure they match up. You can always find phones on eBay.

AT&T and T-Mobile use different freqs so while you can unlock the either ones phone for use on the other, you only get 2G speeds.
    Do this and be sure you'll get 3G.

So... On VIVO here and their 3G is as good as their EDGE for the most part of it. Keep in mind though that the data is going through Bluetooth and that does not help at all.
    03-10-12 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD