A friend of mine has a really old nook that is barely making it. So, I was thinking of getting her an ebook reader for Xmas. While comparing the kindle and other readers it occurred to me that I could just get her a tablet with the capability of reading multiple formats.

Is this possible with the playbook?

The multiple formats is kinda crucial since I don't want her to be tied to anything specific, although I guess its not that hard to just convert them.

Does the kindle app (side load) work well? Does it let you use the whisper-sync?

Are there any other types of e-reader apps on the playbook that will allow you to read formats the kindle app doesnt cover?

Thanks for all your help!
    11-10-13 07:29 PM
    A friend of mine has a really old nook that is barely making it. So, I was thinking of getting her an ebook reader for Xmas. While comparing the kindle and other readers it occurred to me that I could just get her a tablet with the capability of reading multiple formats.

Of course it is...

The multiple formats is kinda crucial since I don't want her to be tied to anything specific, although I guess its not that hard to just convert them.

There are so many e-reader apps out there, you usually don't have to worry about formats. Only one I don't like on the PlayBook is PDF. Adobe Reader sucks too much. Everything else, reads just fine.

Does the kindle app (side load) work well? Does it let you use the whisper-sync?

It does everything it is supposed to. I've been using Kindle since I learned to convert apps, heh. Even talked a good friend off buying an actual Kindle Touch and getting a PlayBook instead. She agreed I was right within a week of use.

Are there any other types of e-reader apps on the playbook that will allow you to read formats the kindle app doesnt cover?

Really just browse BlackBerry World for EPUB or "e-reader"
    and they will pop up. There is also Kobo (native) and Kobo (android sideload - which can inport epubs).

About Kindle: v3.0.1.70 works better on the PlayBook than newer versions. It doesn't have as much flare, but performance and stability have always been more important to me.
    bambinoitaliano and SassyD like this.
    11-10-13 07:36 PM
    The Playbook will be as good as any other tablet for reading books but in my opinion none are as comfortable as e-ink devices for actually reading text. No glare or reflections and unaffected by ambient light (provided the reader has a built in light). I've found tablets very tiring to read for extended periods whereas e-ink devices are just like real books.

Roger
    vangelas and SassyD like this.
    11-11-13 12:03 AM
    If you are pairing the playbook with a BlackBerry phone then that is the clear choice. It will perform as expected as a e-reader and can use the BlackBerry bridge app to share data without extra costs. But if you are not planning on pairing then get an e-ink tablet.

Posted via CB10
    SassyD likes this.
    11-11-13 12:21 AM
    The Barnes and Noble Nook HD+ which is an 8.9" tablet and might be found for as little as $99 as indicated at Gamestop closeout would be my choice for an e-reader. Full access to Google play but no cameras. HDMI requires proprietary connector. Can add sd card but not sure about OTG. Runs Android 4.0 but can be rooted and also upgrade to at least 4.2. Will work with Chromecast. But then I prefer the larger size. Has excellent screen but not so hot speakers. It does weigh 18 ounces if that is a problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    SassyD likes this.
    11-11-13 01:12 AM

The problem you may well have (given what you've said, here) with the only version of the Kindle app available for the PlayBook, is it won't let you sync / whispersync sideloaded Kindle books, as later versions and Kindle devices will.

That's the reason I don't run Kindle on the PlayBook. It runs on my Z10, and on a couple of Android tablets, and on my actual Kindle device (a Kindle keyboard) as they will all sync whatever books I'm reading on them. But the version of the Kindle app available for the PlayBook is older than the whispersync available for personal documents / sideloaded documents - so just be aware of that.

For me, that functionality is key, and not woth loading the app if it doesn't have it.
    SassyD likes this.
    11-11-13 05:20 AM
    The Playbook will be as good as any other tablet for reading books but in my opinion none are as comfortable as e-ink devices for actually reading text. No glare or reflections and unaffected by ambient light (provided the reader has a built in light). I've found tablets very tiring to read for extended periods whereas e-ink devices are just like real books.

Roger
    +1. The best experience if you want to use a device as a dedicated ereader is to actually buy an e-ink based ereader. Tablets are nice, but when it comes to reading e-ink ereaders are the only way to go.
    vangelas, anon1727506 and SassyD like this.
    11-11-13 06:02 AM
    OP did not state whether friend is using Barnes and Noble, Amazon or maybe some other source for the e-books. If using B&N would certainly consider one of the Nooks. Likewise if Amazon should look at Kindles. And so on. The B&N and Kindle color tablets certainly pay more attention to being used as e-readers than the playbook.
    11-11-13 03:48 PM
    It's good if you want a device for read ebook only.
    I bought a Playbook 64G last week and it's OK for all my purposes: read ebook, view photos, videos...
    SassyD likes this.
    11-11-13 08:58 PM
    +1. The best experience if you want to use a device as a dedicated ereader is to actually buy an e-ink based ereader. Tablets are nice, but when it comes to reading e-ink ereaders are the only way to go.
    I somewhat agree. For daytime reading, e-ink readers are terrific. But I find I quite appreciate a backlit device when it's dark. It doesn't disturb "sleeping beauty" as I read in bed.
    Last edited by sgosh; 11-11-13 at 09:45 PM.
    11-11-13 09:34 PM
    I somewhat agree. For daytime reading, e-ink readers are terrific. But I find I quite appreciate a backlit device when it's dark. It doesn't disturb "sleeping beauty" as I read in bed.
    I prefer e-ink during the day, and the Kindle app with reverse colours (ie black page, white text) at night - less glare. I have a Kindle keyboard, with the official lighted case, which is a good e-reader for all conditions, I suppose, but I night I find the reverse colours available using the app, preferable. That's why whispersync of sideloaded books has always been important to me, and why I don't run the Kindle app on my PlayBook (because the only versions available for the PlayBook won't do that).
    11-12-13 03:10 AM
    Could you explain what is meant by side loaded books? I have the Kindle app side loaded on my Playbook and can load books from my wifes Kindle account from the PC to my Playbook to be read in the Kindle app.

I also have a kindle keyboard but I too prefer the Playbook at night (white text on a black background!)
    11-12-13 08:14 AM
    Could you explain what is meant by side loaded books? I have the Kindle app side loaded on my Playbook and can load books from my wifes Kindle account from the PC to my Playbook to be read in the Kindle app.

I also have a kindle keyboard but I too prefer the Playbook at night (white text on a black background!)
    Side loaded books are simply books not bought / obtained from Amazon. So any mobi, pdf, epub or other book formats that you may, or may not have put on your Kindle - Calibre was / is a very popular ebook manipulation app for conversions and transfer to Kindle devices.

If you've not side-loaded any non-Amazon books, you'll not have a problem, since the aging version of the Kindle app available for sideloading on the PlayBook does sync Amazon obtained ebooks.
    11-12-13 08:38 AM
    PlayBook does not make a good ebook reader if that is what you are looking for. If a Tablet is more what you want, look around there are better Tablets in the same price range that aren't 2-1/2 years old and that will have the current and new apps available.

If your friend has a nook e-reader, she may have a large library already built up. I'm not sure how easy it is to move from one platform to another. But I'd stick with the same platform unless she has expressed interest in going to another.

I have used my PlayBook as an e-reader, but none of the programs that are available are really good. The Kindle app that works is an older version, and even it is a little buggy at times. And too be honest if an e-reader is what she wants, a Tablet is not really a good option. The eInk on tablets are much better on the eyes and they is no comparison to the battery life.
    11-12-13 09:19 AM
    I'd disagree on the availability of good reader programs. I have tried Moon+ Reader (sideloaded Android app) and PlayEPub (native app) and both work well. PlayEPub just got updated today, so at least development continues. It's may not be the ideal ebook reader, but given it does so much more, the Playbook works well for me.
    anon(8080272) likes this.
    11-12-13 10:34 AM
    I'd disagree on the availability of good reader programs. I have tried Moon+ Reader (sideloaded Android app) and PlayEPub (native app) and both work well. PlayEPub just got updated today, so at least development continues. It's may not be the ideal ebook reader, but given it does so much more, the Playbook works well for me.
    Agreed. The truth is, a used - but still in excellent condition - PB will run you less than a new dedicated e-reader. It'll also be quite a bit more versatile: an e-reader with the option of other interesting diversions.

Not saying an e-ink device isn't an excellent purchase; it really is in terms of of being lightweight, easy on the eyes, and going long periods without requiring a charge.

Still, if I had $50 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd definitely keep a ~$50 PB on my shortlist as a viable e-reader. There's some decent software available (native and android).
    11-12-13 02:00 PM
    Both my wife and I use our PBs as eReaders (as well as for email and web browsng). We use the app called BookReader for ePub and Kindle. It won't read copy protected files, but will read any epub or kindle unprotected file. The PB has a native Kobo app that works well and can download books from Kobo site. I have not tried the Kindle app.
    11-12-13 06:55 PM
    Right now you are better off staying away from the playbook. The playbook is old and
    will not get any more updates. You're better off with any other tablets like the new/old Nexus 7 or Amazon Kindle tablet. Unless you can find the playbook under $50.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    11-12-13 10:20 PM
    Side loaded books are simply books not bought / obtained from Amazon. So any mobi, pdf, epub or other book formats that you may, or may not have put on your Kindle - Calibre was / is a very popular ebook manipulation app for conversions and transfer to Kindle devices.

If you've not side-loaded any non-Amazon books, you'll not have a problem, since the aging version of the Kindle app available for sideloading on the PlayBook does sync Amazon obtained ebooks.
    OK, I can load these into the Kindle app on the PB from my PC Wirelessly, which while not Whisper sync works perfrectly well for me.
    11-13-13 04:03 AM
    Right now you are better off staying away from the playbook. The playbook is old and
    will not get any more updates. You're better off with any other tablets like the new/old Nexus 7 or Amazon Kindle tablet. Unless you can find the playbook under $50.

While the PB is now old and beginning to show it's age, what I like best about it is the build quality for the price I paid. I use mine for a little light browsing and e-mails and Media consumption. It's fairly bomb proof and gets slung into various bags when I travel never had an Issue. I've had a number a cheaper Android tablets which developed quirks and needed wrapping in cotton wool with the PB I don't need to worry!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    11-13-13 04:07 AM
    OK, I can load these into the Kindle app on the PB from my PC Wirelessly, which while not Whisper sync works perfrectly well for me.
    Yes - you can sideload books, to the sideloaded Kindle app on the PlayBook perfectly.

But if you're using another Kindle device (be it an app, or a true Kindle device) you won't get sync of those sideloaded books from / using the sideloaded app on the PlayBook. So if it's your only use of Kindle, or you don't sideload any books, it's unlikely to be an issue - but if you do sideload books and use other Kindle devices, then it's quite a significant issue.

The vast majority of the books I read on Kindle are sideloaded mobi. Without sync of them, given I have a Kindle device, and run the app on 2 Android tablets, plus my Z10, for me at least, it's a major issue.
    11-13-13 04:27 AM