My great-aunt got an iPad 2 for Christmas. She downloaded a bunch of apps for herself and her grandchildren. This evening I played tech support for her over the phone for a good 15 minstrel, trying to get music to stop playing. I explained the important function of the four-finger swipe up, hold down on a background app icon, and hit the red dot to close a background app. After a few attempts, mastering gestures and a held-touch in her advanced age, she closed the music app. The music continued. She closed the music store. The music continued. After some time she says, "there are people talking! It must be the radio!" She closes the TuneIn Radio app. Success!

With a PlayBook, the scenario would have been shorter. Playback controls on the top of the home screen. Running apps are always visible with a single swipe up, and closed with an additional swipe. As user friendly as the iPad is, I believe that significant advances could be made to bring usability on par with the PlayBook and in all likelihood, BB10
    12-25-12 09:13 PM
    The great-aunt calls me again a little later, unable to get her email (hotmail) up and running. Apparently this is too complex on the iPad and, in my experience, extremely straight forward on the PlayBook.
    12-25-12 09:19 PM
    My dad got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 from his boss for Christmas. What a nightmare trying to explain over the phone how to connect it to his WiFi. I feel your pain LOL
    Last edited by Lendo78; 12-30-12 at 10:08 PM.
    rotorwrench and Easy-G like this.
    12-25-12 09:37 PM
    I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note last week to see if Android has improved in the last couple of years. My take is that for the day to day productivity stuff, my BlackBerry 9930 is much more efficient.

In the meantime, I keep trying to use PlayBook gestures on the Note, without success. The Note is too small as a tablet and too large as a phone.
    rotorwrench and jeroen_13 like this.
    12-25-12 10:03 PM
    Seriously...after I got over the fact that I have to double home-tap for certain iPad functions, I set up my airplay and then froze in disbelief as I can't do anything with my iPad while I'm Airplaying a video or else the video stops. Spoiled by PlayBook multitasking...
    12-25-12 10:12 PM
    My wife experienced the opposite scenario. Her first two tablets were an iPad and iPad2 respectively. After the grief of setting up both, including the wifi and email issues she had her pads fairly well down. Upon her first experience with my PB she was incredulous with how intuitive and simple the UI was to use. Needless to say she now has her own PB and the iPads are gone.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-26-12 at 08:48 AM.
    jamesharmeling and Easy-G like this.
    12-25-12 11:11 PM
    I recently tried a touch screen Win 8 (not RT but full 8) machine. I was disappointed to find it no better than the iPad wrt ease of use. PB is much better.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    12-26-12 03:56 AM