As the remainants of TS Lee passed through north Ga, I was able to watch our local news and get up to date information about the storms as we took shelter from the tornado. We don't have an emergency radio so they was so great to watch live news feed. We were fortunate enough not to have received any damaging considering it was very close to us. Lessoned learned though is to keep my Pb fully charged during bad weather. We were out of power for 6 hours. Thanks Pb.
    09-05-11 09:30 PM
    Glad to hear you are safe.
    Get a weather radio for next time, it relies on much less vulnerable infrastructure than cell and internet connections!
    09-05-11 09:45 PM
    How were you connected to the Internet with no power? Bridge?
    09-05-11 10:51 PM
    Yeah during Irene we lost all power. But the cell service was up the whole time. I had charged my PlayBook and phone before the storm. (plus I can charge both in my car if I have to). So I was sitting there in the house with no power, pitch black, browsing the web through the bridge and checking on the storm. Pretty surreal!
    09-05-11 10:57 PM
    In North GA too. I lost Satellite TV Signal but still had power and WiFi. Did the same thing- streamed local weather on the PB until rain dissipated- maybe 15 min. Good to know it works on Cel as well as WiFi.
    ericrangel76 likes this.
    09-06-11 08:42 AM
    How were you connected to the Internet with no power? Bridge?
    I had a mobile hotspot and I was still able to connect to the internet.
    09-06-11 01:36 PM
    Yeah during Irene we lost all power. But the cell service was up the whole time. I had charged my PlayBook and phone before the storm. (plus I can charge both in my car if I have to). So I was sitting there in the house with no power, pitch black, browsing the web through the bridge and checking on the storm. Pretty surreal!
    Yeah I think I'll invest in a car charger next. I thought about getting rid of my mobile hotspot but now I'm reconsidering it. Lol!
    09-06-11 01:38 PM
    It's things like this that make me wish I'd had my PlayBook back on April 27th when my state got slammed hard by all those tornadoes. The best meteorologist in the state (James Spann, who's pretty much awesomesauce) has publicly stated that he believes that smartphones, social media, etc. saved a lot of lives in places like Tuscaloosa and Hackleburg that day. One of the reasons I'm glad that technology has advanced the way it has!
    09-06-11 03:30 PM
    back in may Niagara had a major wind storm and i was without power for 36 hours. used my playbook all night for entertainment till i had to shut down my phone to save enough juice for the alarm in the morning
    ericrangel76 likes this.
    09-06-11 03:57 PM
    It's things like this that make me wish I'd had my PlayBook back on April 27th when my state got slammed hard by all those tornadoes. The best meteorologist in the state (James Spann, who's pretty much awesomesauce) has publicly stated that he believes that smartphones, social media, etc. saved a lot of lives in places like Tuscaloosa and Hackleburg that day. One of the reasons I'm glad that technology has advanced the way it has!
    I'm sorry what happened there but I'm glad you made it through it safely. I ran across the news feed by accident. I was just checking the radar as the power went out and just happen to see the live news link. Truly amazed how technology is evolving. I was wondering if the police scanner app for the Pb would be helpful.
    09-06-11 05:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD