ok, i know it is old question but for me is so fustrating fact that i cant connect my playbook and my camera, or card reader or eaven usb memory.

i find some article where people connect playbook and usb...it was rooted playbook.
    now i find that newer version cant be rooted!? i use os 2.1...
    So, is there some option for my problem???

Could i reinstal os on my playbook to lower version which can be root?

or

I find some android app that can be use for remote controll dslr camera....So, if I install this app on my playbook did it recognize camera, and give me possibility to transfer photos? (app name is dslrcontroller)

frustrrated
    11-06-12 08:24 AM
    Welcome to the forums.

No way to root a device now (unless you decide risk turning it into a paperweight - which is the most likely outcome).

Converting the app you mentioned is the best solution. Find the Ask Kos thread in the sideloading board and provide the apk file. If the app works (and I can tell you any app coded for any version of android higher than 2.3.3 won't), then you'll be accessing your cam's photos.

And welcome to the forums.
    11-06-12 08:53 AM
    1. There is no way to root unless you got a relatively old PB, with an earlier OS on it, and you performed a quite complex procedure immediately preventing it to update (something it is geared to do straight at the first switchon). Even it you managed the above, using USB on-the-go then involves typing commands in a console on the PB, which is definitely not simple (and, for instance, would prevent backing it up on a pc or mac).

2. The next OS version ("BB10") will natively support USB on-the-go, but won't be out before months at best, somewhere next year (it will be out in January, but for phones first...). So you may consider waiting --at least you are sure your tablet will be updated. With BB10 you'll connect the DSLR (with an adapter) to the small USB port on the Playbook, and it will appear just as another folder. But you have to wait.

3. A solution straight now consists in buying an Eye-Fi memory card for your DSLR (check it, but most DSLRs for a couple of years now are compatible with Eye-Fi).
    The Eye-Fi card connects to your wifi network or deploys its own if none available: you then connect the tablet, launch a local Eye-Fi app, which retrieves all your photos, even if you are lost in nowhereland.
    Restrictions:
    - on the Playbook the app must be sideloaded (but then this isn't so complicated, and I can testify it does work perfectly with the current OS)
    - Wifi throughput being what it is, you'll easily transfer jpg images, raw ones will take longer (like: not all 50 shots in a hurry before dinner -and beware that the smallest cards just don't support RAW transmission), and consider movies just won't transfer.
    OTOH the Eye-Fi card comes with lots of extra features like free ftp upload to your own server, duplicated to your mac or PC, etc. that are more than nice-to-have IMHO.
    11-06-12 09:39 AM
    Here's another thread with some possiblities: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-728495/

Do you have a bb phone and could you use a micro sim?

Also saw something about a PQI Air Wi-Fi adapter (which is a wifi sd sized adapter that takes micro sd cards and so you can swap out the micro sd cards) recently, but think it may have some issues with RAW files.... you'd need to research it...

This also looks like it could do the trick - though haven't been able to find any reviews as yet to check if it is doing the right thing! PQI Air Drive - Wireless WiFi Mobile Storage : SD (Secure Digital) Cards : Maplin Electronics
    Last edited by amiteo; 11-06-12 at 01:39 PM.
    11-06-12 01:14 PM
    Which DSLR do you have and does it have wifi? blueSLR for Nikon Essential DSLR SPP is a Bluetooth accessory that plugs into the GPS or 10-pin remote port of your camera, and connects via bluetooth to android, ios and blackberry - Smartphone Control of Your Nikon DSLR Camera | BH inDepth
    Seems to be plenty of options available - Google
    11-06-12 02:05 PM
    Thanks guys for your time.
    I use canon 5d camera...and i plan trip to india...and a plan to use playbook to preview some of photos i make...but now i am disappointed.
    Though playbook is a great device , connectivity is aful. I have problem and with bluetooth when somebody want to send me something from some smart phone or other tablet.
    If somebody knew the android app that will work on playbook and give me possibility to transfer photos from camera or card reader, please let me know.

When that new os come playbook will be everything i need when traveling....but i need something until then.
    11-06-12 05:51 PM
    Herve, that's encouraging news the day we can connect a DSLR to the PB. Hope it happens sometime this year. If not, oh well. . . patience, patience.
    03-30-13 06:52 PM
    Any news on when (if at all) Blackberry will be upgrading the Playbook software so we can transfer photos from DSLR to Playbook directly via a cable? The Eye-fi card is not a solution at all. Bought an Eye-fi card with great hopes, but it is proving to be ridiculously frustrating and I'm about ready to throw it away (a waste of $125!). I love my little Playbook, but this issue is souring my experience.
    04-08-13 10:48 AM
    Any news on when (if at all) Blackberry will be upgrading the Playbook software so we can transfer photos from DSLR to Playbook directly via a cable? The Eye-fi card is not a solution at all. Bought an Eye-fi card with great hopes, but it is proving to be ridiculously frustrating and I'm about ready to throw it away (a waste of $125!). I love my little Playbook, but this issue is souring my experience.
    It has been two years - so I would definitely not count on it.

re: eye-fi card

I have not used the function often. I find it slow but what are the issues you have run into.

Question for others - is OTG even available on the new z10 devices?
    04-08-13 12:18 PM
    Thanks guys for your time.
    I use canon 5d camera...and i plan trip to india...and a plan to use playbook to preview some of photos i make...but now i am disappointed.
    Though playbook is a great device , connectivity is aful. I have problem and with bluetooth when somebody want to send me something from some smart phone or other tablet.
    If somebody knew the android app that will work on playbook and give me possibility to transfer photos from camera or card reader, please let me know.

When that new os come playbook will be everything i need when traveling....but i need something until then.
    Doesn't the 5D have a wifi adapter available from Canon that would do the job?

Canon WFT-E4 II Wireless File Transmitter for use with EOS 5D Mark II - Only 599.99 - Park Cameras Online
    04-09-13 05:47 AM
    After sideloading the Eye-fi app, I thought it would be easy enough. Things went fine until Instructions were:
    Pair your Eye-fi card to your Android device:
    1. Select your card on the Eye-Fi Card Pairing screen......etc.
    But couldn't see any place to pair my Eye-fi card to my Android device.
    Don't have Wi-fi at home so am tethering my Samsung Wave mobile phone to the Playbook.
    04-09-13 08:32 AM
    After sideloading the Eye-fi app, I thought it would be easy enough. Things went fine until Instructions were:
    Don't have Wi-fi at home so am tethering my Samsung Wave mobile phone to the Playbook.
    Works OK for me. Have to go back and see how I did it.

Malcolm.
    04-09-13 08:46 AM
    Eye-fi makes an eye-fi app for Android devices. That's what some of us use - sideloaded on the pb. It is available from their website for normal Android devices. Otherwise you need the bar file for the pb.
    04-09-13 09:56 AM
    I can see files on this PQI Airdrive, via the PlayBook browser and wireless connection.So it is great for viewing dslr memory cards.

But I. Would also like to write from the PB to the card.

There is a free android app from PQI on Google play, called. PQI Airdrive+, which is supposed to upload from PB.
    I got ddpb on my computer from Goodereader.com and was all set to go..

But problem is...Google won't let me download because I don't have an Android device.

Does anyone have. Apk or. Bar???
    03-22-14 11:18 AM
    Does anyone have. Apk or. Bar???
    Untested. No idea if it works. http://107.150.58.162/Apk2Bar/bar/co...e_v1.0.1.2.bar
    03-22-14 12:50 PM