I have recently purchased several new blue ray movies and included with them are digital copies for transfer to handheld devices, only problem is when you pick the windows media file version it can't be transferred to my playbook because of DRM issues even though the playbook supports wmv files so my question is can anyone recommend a good and easy to use DRM removal program?
    12-31-11 06:24 AM
    I use DVD Catalyst 4 to convert my DVDs for copying to my Playbook. Very easy to use, with a one-click conversion. Cost is under $20. Some people use Handbrake. I tried it but couldn't quite get it to work properly. There are a number of other programs out there, both free and paid.
    skibnik likes this.
    12-31-11 11:27 AM
    I just download titles that I own the discs for
    12-31-11 12:12 PM
    I came across Aimersoft DRM Media Converter for removal of DRM. It works great and will export the file in a format that works best for your particular device!
    spike12 and skibnik like this.
    12-31-11 12:20 PM
    Why can't RIM developers allow DRM files to play on the playbook? I'm just looking to play the digital copies of movies that I've already purchased, thus have the license to view on a portable device? I had a Creative Labs Zen Vision W that would play these movies (and MKV files) with no problem and no conversion needed. I'm sure there's some legal red tape that exists, but it seems to me that it took more for RIM to prevent DRM files from being played than it would just to allow them, since the error message was developed and not just a generic error of "could not play file". Could this be allowed in the 2.0 update?
    01-14-12 01:53 PM
    Why can't RIM developers allow DRM files to play on the playbook? I'm sure there's some legal red tape that exists, but it seems to me that it took more for RIM to prevent DRM files from being played than it would just to allow them...
    Simplistic answer: licensing fees to enable playback of DRM-encumbered content.

For Adobe Digital Editions e-books I use a Python script to remove the DRM after purchasing the e-book through Kobo Books. If Adobe would release a version (complete) of Adobe Digital Edition even this would not be necessary.

As for videos I try to only buy non-DRM-encumbered DVD which is not a trivial task. However, if I paid for a DRM-encumbered movie I expect to be able to watch it on any device of my choosing for my personal use.
    01-14-12 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD