Playbook don't like you removing NFB and possibly other default but removable programs. Today I checked for update, I was up to date. I went and removed NFB just to remove programs I know I wouldn't use and save the storage space. After removing NFB, I later checked for software update and there was one using the same version and only 2MB, I downloaded and install and NFB returned. So when i realize this, I checked for software updates and I was up to date, then immediately removed NFB and checked again, there is an update availabe. I download and installed the update and NFB is back.

Just saying.....
    04-19-11 03:37 PM
    Wow. So every time you updates you are going to have to remove certain apps all over again. Hopefully a convenient option comes along.
    04-19-11 03:38 PM
    I hate to ask but what's NFB?
    04-19-11 03:51 PM
    Its some type of film app for aspiring film makers if I understand correctly. I tried to delete it as well, along with the podcast app and both returned after an update
    04-19-11 03:57 PM
    I hate to ask but what's NFB?
    National Film Board of Canada - lots of great 'non-commercial' content, including Oscar winning documentaries, animation, etc.. Probably too cerebral (or too Canadian) for most users, however...
    04-19-11 04:01 PM
    its the same as BBs, all that crap you get from the carriers. You have to hide it because it cant be deleted. Except these actually install?
    04-19-11 04:11 PM
    It has the history channel i may keep it around and test it out for a little while
    04-19-11 04:21 PM
    NFB is another national treasure maybe second only to the Nortel Patent stash - and maybe the oil slick in the West. LOL!
    04-19-11 04:32 PM
    I think this is just so if you delete any built-in apps, you can get them back without needing an App World account.
    04-19-11 04:36 PM
    So it's like the worthless Stock app on iphone that you have to hide and can't delete

Speaking of apps. Is there a place I can go see what's in AppWorld. I've got till Sat to make up my mind if I want to buy one at a discount LOL

Also how's the Docs2Go. It comes preloaded doesn't it
    04-19-11 04:42 PM
    So it's like the worthless Stock app on iphone that you have to hide and can't delete

Speaking of apps. Is there a place I can go see what's in AppWorld. I've got till Sat to make up my mind if I want to buy one at a discount LOL

No actual PlayBook section, but the most recently added in each category are almost all PlayBook:

BlackBerry App World - Home
    Kerms likes this.
    04-19-11 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Well I got a few request for you guys. Anybody want to list the VPN settings. Does it come with a RDP client? Docs2go?
    Last edited by Daps; 04-19-11 at 04:57 PM.
    04-19-11 04:54 PM
    I too discovered this about removing NFB. You get an update, and it comes right back! Totally ridiculous!

I'm really not interested in the National Film Board of Canada, or its content.

Sad to say, but I'm getting more and more frustrated and disappointed with this long awaited and much anticipated device.
    04-21-11 07:56 AM
    I too discovered this about removing NFB. You get an update, and it comes right back! Totally ridiculous!

Sad to say, but I'm getting more and more frustrated and disappointed with this long awaited and much anticipated device.
    I just tried this. Deleted NFB from my PB and there is no software update or forced install for it. In appworld it gives the option to reinstall but thats it...
    01-16-12 11:57 PM
    welcome to almost 9 months and 5-7 OS updates ago. Things have changed and you will no longer get the "update" message if you delete a core app like that.
    01-17-12 12:08 AM

that stock app is soooo not useless.its great.i track all my investments in real time and have graphs and links to news regarding the stocks.its the best ive seen and its free.i dont even see a stock app like that available on tbe playbook.
    01-17-12 12:35 AM
    welcome to almost 9 months and 5-7 OS updates ago. Things have changed and you will no longer get the "update" message if you delete a core app like that.
    +1. Looks now that you have mandatory apps (browser ?) and core apps (NFB).

If you still have the problem, then maybe it's about time for a data backup, a wipe and then a fresh update.
    01-17-12 02:51 AM
    NFB is there to stay due to a shadowy agreement involving the USA, off shore banking cartels, and RIM to inflict painfully boring Canadian film content on our neighbours to the south. It's a sadism thing. The Germans call it Shadenfrude (sp?). If we must suffer these types of films that Cdn men only see when their eco-hippie girlfriends force us to go see them, then by the gods most-high, YOU MUST SUFFER ALSO!! SO SPEAKETH ODIN! (I had to add that last part, I just 'digitally acquired' the entire Thor comic series this week. sorry?)
    01-17-12 07:52 AM
    Perhaps if you watched a few of the high-quality documentaries offered through the National Film Board of Canada (NFB) application your mind might actually open to new thoughts and ideas. "Ouch! Mommy, I learned something today and my head hurts. Make it stop. Make me unlearn stuff so my brain stops asking questions." --- This humour brought to you by the letter 'S' for sarcasm and the number '0' for those lacking a sense of humour.
    01-17-12 08:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD