Hi people - my Playbook suddenly stopped connecting to wifi. It does not even detect there is a wifi access point available, even via manually connecting.

So I decided, let me try the Internet Tethering (via Bluetooth). This thing paired with my phone, and even said it was connected via Bluetooth to my 9105 - but when I open the browser, I just get a network error and nothing internet related works!

The funny thing is, when I used the Bridge, it connected, and the Bridge Browser worked just fine! I couldn't use other apps via the Bridge, only the Bridge Browser, nothing else could gain internet access.

Naturally, because the Bridge was working, I thought maybe it's just some settings gone screwed up - so I did a security wipe.

Now obviously, it requires the initial software update, via wifi - and well...it doesn't pick up the wifi. I'm kind of confused, any suggestions anyone?
    09-11-11 08:42 AM
    Have you unplugged your router and plugged it back in and then tried? Is wifi turned on?
    Last edited by kbz1960; 09-11-11 at 08:53 AM. Reason: add about wifi
    09-11-11 08:53 AM
    Is airplane mode off and do you have wifi enabled?
    09-11-11 09:19 AM
    search the forum before you post. lots of advice on sorting this out already written.
    09-11-11 09:37 AM
    I had the same problem 2 weeks ago and did the same thing (security wipe). Then reinstalled OS and still no luck (wifi died just after downloading an 8 MB update to OS - same version of OS and I had not deleted anything so we thought it would be software related).

Called support and they extended my free support, and ended up doing an RMA. Called on a Wednesday and had advance replacement unit on Thursday evening. Returned my old one on Friday and all seems fine now. They did not get back to me with any description of what happened to old one yet...not sure but it appears as though my ticket is closed.

You likely have to RMA it, so hopefully you have a backup and/or have your media files saved somewhere. If not you can redownload Kobo books and music and blackberry ID will keep the full list of apps you had installed so reinstalling them will be somewhat painless.

good luck.
    09-11-11 09:37 AM
    Same thing happened to mine, suddenly no wifi and weird bluetooth behaviour. I ended up with RMA and device replecement. I have to say that communication with RIM representative was very good and the replacement has been very fast.
    09-11-11 09:41 AM
    You can also try the Debrick method:

Connect the PB to your PC with Desktop Manager (DM) running.
    From the Menu, click Device>update.
    You'll get a notification that the OS is up to date.
    Reboot your PB while still connected to DM.
    You will then get a new prompt in DM, hit the update button.

Rim Support 1-877-644-8405
    09-11-11 10:07 AM
    how long had you had your pb? is there like a time frame when the pb's wifi starts acting up?
    gtiffany likes this.
    09-11-11 11:03 AM
    how long had you had your pb? is there like a time frame when the pb's wifi starts acting up?
    I don't believe it is a big problem. As in any manufacturing there are some bad ones that get thru.
    09-11-11 11:16 AM
    Have you unplugged your router and plugged it back in and then tried? Is wifi turned on?
    Hi - yep - even tried a new router, decided to go OpenSystem as well and then try back to WPA2 - but I can confirm it has nothing to do with my router and is in fact the Playbook.

Is airplane mode off and do you have wifi enabled?
    Hi - well - since I've done the security wipe, I'm at the "connect to wifi" screen that does not initial software download (like as in a brand-spanking new Playbook) - so no way is Airplane Mode the issue right now.

search the forum before you post. lots of advice on sorting this out already written.
    Sorry bro - but I did do a forum search - and I found that my issue was unique in the sense that I could still get internet access via Bluetooth Bridge - that's why I'm stumped, everyone else had the same issue with the exception of the Bridge working.

You can also try the Debrick method:

Connect the PB to your PC with Desktop Manager (DM) running.
    From the Menu, click Device>update.
    Rim Support 1-877-644-8405
    I try this, but because my Playbook is at the initial software update now, i.e. it can't go into the OS yet - Desktop Software doesn't even allow me to check out the device. It gives me an error saying "Device Setup Incomplete" - and that I should d/connect the device, complete the setup and then reconnect.

As for RIM Siupport... ... I'm from South Africa - we have no such thing here. I had to specially import the Playbook because the iPad sucks!

Uhm...had it for about 2 or 3 months now...it just started once off last night, that's it, no warnings or hints that it was going to do this.

But hey guys thanks for the response I'm chuffed at all the support. I'm going to have to fork out another 4grand for another Playbook - simply because, I love it.
    09-11-11 03:15 PM
    I _THINK_ you can still try debrick.

Turn off the pb. Open Desktop Manager. Plug in the pb to usb. Turn it on. There are better instructions but I did not get them copied into my cheatsheet.

Hmm just a bit more: Turn the PB off, Plug it onto your computer with USB, make sure your BB desktop software is open prior to doing this. It will detect the PlayBook before it loads the OS. Reinstall the OS from your computer.
    Last edited by F2; 09-11-11 at 03:23 PM.
    JasunX and Berrimad like this.
    09-11-11 03:21 PM
    I _THINK_ you can still try debrick.

Turn off the pb. Open Desktop Manager. Plug in the pb to usb. Turn it on. There are better instructions but I did not get them copied into my cheatsheet.

Hmm just a bit more: Turn the PB off, Plug it onto your computer with USB, make sure your BB desktop software is open prior to doing this. It will detect the PlayBook before it loads the OS. Reinstall the OS from your computer.
    Whoa! It's friggin doing something out of the ordinary!! So the Playbook had to be off!

ATM Desktop Software is downloading something to do with qnx etc etc - seems it will take a while but I will post update on how it goes.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU F2!
    09-11-11 03:26 PM
    I take it that it may have actually worked? If so - great news.

I've got a Notepad text file on my computer where I have grabbed all kinds of little bits of pb info. But I only copy/paste into it - it is not organized in any fashion. So I have to try searching it for this type of info and some of the "debrick" info is scattered in it.

We need a database app for the pb!
    09-11-11 03:44 PM
    I take it that it may have actually worked? If so - great news.

I've got a Notepad text file on my computer where I have grabbed all kinds of little bits of pb info. But I only copy/paste into it - it is not organized in any fashion. So I have to try searching it for this type of info and some of the "debrick" info is scattered in it.

We need a database app for the pb!
    Phew...that took a heck of a long time...but unfortunately...unsuccessful.

After doing the update and install via Dekstop Software, the Playbook starts and brings me to the Country/Language select and following that to the "connect to wifi" screen...and well...it does not detect my wifi. I'm assuming that this is definitely a hardware issue now...and I have no way forward except to buy a new Playbook.

Thanks for all your help though F2 - I really appreciate it.
    09-11-11 06:53 PM
    Did you buy it new? There should be a one year warranty although you may have to call Canada (somewhere in europe) for service/help. Can you try another wifi like at a library or a friend's house or hotel or work?
    09-11-11 06:58 PM
    Did you buy it new? There should be a one year warranty although you may have to call Canada (somewhere in europe) for service/help. Can you try another wifi like at a library or a friend's house or hotel or work?
    Yep, brand new - except, when I got it, like on start-up there was a stuck pixel - but obviously I didn't bother with that because I read it was a fairly scarce but existent issue, and it just costs way too much money to courier items from South Africa back to other countries - but I'm 100% certain it was a brand new Playbook until I opened it - I don't doubt that.

I'll definitely go and try out a friend's wifi hotspot - I did go the extra step of installling connectify on my machine and creating a virtual hotspot via my Asus Eeebox's built-in wifi receiver, and my 9105 picks that hotspot up just fine, but the Playbook doesn't detect it either.

I feel like throwing this thing against the wall (back-facing) - not because I'm pissed off, but because I have a strong feeling that could with a 30% chance fix the issue - but my heart won't allow me to do that haha.

In any case...I'll give the thing a few days rest and try it again as well...and well just see what happens.

Thanks buddy.
    09-11-11 07:09 PM
    Unlikely but maybe it would work in another place..... mcdonalds or wherever like F2 says, can't hurt to try anyway.
    09-11-11 07:33 PM
    This may help some with wifi problems....no one has mentioned adjusting the wifi output signal strength of their router.

My Playbook didn't work in our garage behind a steel door/brick wall....the Bell Sympatico modem/router default output strength is 4, cranked it up to 10 and the Playbook went to 2-3 bars in the garage from 0-1.
    09-11-11 07:34 PM
    I still think the playbook has a wifi problem in general, so many threads on here about this.
    Playbooks turning into a ******* nightmare
    09-12-11 07:32 AM
    I still think the playbook has a wifi problem in general, so many threads on here about this.
    Playbooks turning into a ******* nightmare
    If it does indeed have a problem I'm thinking an update will be able to fix said problem.
    09-12-11 10:34 AM
    I'm having the same problem now, 3 years later, no update fixed this. It also suddenly stopped detecting WiFi during an update and I got this thing as a Christmas gift, I don't have a proof of purchase and there's no RIM here in Lebanon.
    01-03-12 11:44 AM
    I'm having the same problem now, 3 years later, no update fixed this. It also suddenly stopped detecting WiFi during an update and I got this thing as a Christmas gift, I don't have a proof of purchase and there's no RIM here in Lebanon.
    Hi WealIT - 3 years later? The Playbook was only launched in 2011, that's one year ago - how is it that the Lebanese had it before the rest of us

I think, and this is purely a guess - the WiFi chip burns out as a result of continuous attempts to rejoin the last known WiFi hotspot. Although it does have failsafe to quit after 3 attempts, I think the WiFi continuously scans for available networks without taking its own health into consideration. And given that the WiFi chip is combined with the Bluetooth chip, I'm assuming that this adds to the strain. But, as I've pointed out over and over, these are just my assumptions. I bought myself a new 32GB Playbook after my 16GB gave me this problem - and ever since I've only put the WiFi on when I intended on connecting through WiFi. Soon I'll be getting myself a MiFi - and a dual-data-sim - and I'll never have to deactivate s#!t ever again

Have you tried doing an update my Desktop Manager?
    01-03-12 01:13 PM
    Call technical support. That's what they are there for.

1-877-644-8410
    01-03-12 01:17 PM
    Call technical support. That's what they are there for.

1-877-644-8410
    Hi barskin - technical support does not speak my language, and I don't think they speak the Labenese's language either. Not the language per se...let me explain.

You see, us African countries have to wait months before the "authrorized/official distributors" (as they like to call themselves) bring in new products. The Playbook was launched in early October by the "authrorized/official distributors" here in South Africa. So, to avoid waiting we use unauthorized/unofficial channels (legally) to have the goods imported for our personal use. That poses a problem and a risk, whereby if something goes wrong with the device, the proverbial screw becomes a part of our own anatomy. The local guys will tell you to go get screwed because you didn't buy it locally so they'll never in uphold the warranty, even though we have RIM offices in this country. It's difficult to send the item back overseas to Canada, or USA or wherever it came from, because the agent won't give away the details of his supplier, and he already informed you of the risk you're taking before you bought it from him. So ye to put it simply, you're screwed. And then to send it to RIM in Canada/Europe (regardless of original purchase) which they would probably help you with is also an issue. Courier fees are high Africa-outbound - and there's usually the 75% chance your parcel never makes it anyway. I just bought myself a new one, and avoided all the damn fireworks - I like my Playbook, or I'd never have bought another one
    01-03-12 01:32 PM
    Oh sorry I read the date the comment was posted wrong "2008" :P and just for your information guys Lebanese are Arabs, we speak Arabian though about 80% of us are very fluent in English or French too.. so contacting support isn't a problem but I can't seem to find their number. :S I've been told that downgrading might help since WiFi functionality was lost after an update, any thoughts here?
    01-03-12 03:37 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD