Hi All and F2,

After multiple tries, still unable to charge... Still having the red light followed by 5 green blinking lights.....
    What to do ?

Any advice ?
    Thanks all for your help.
    Cheers
    The red LED followed by green pulsing Led indicates the PB is turned off and Charging in most cases. If it's working correctly it will continue to flash green until the PB is fully charged and then stay steady green.
    You say 5 green lights. Does the green pulsing continue or stop at 5?
    You should use the included wall charger not a USB cable to PC.
    03-22-12 10:44 AM
    I don't have a support link for Singapore.

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    Thanks Again F2, i've sent an email to BB support. They replied, they could not support this kind of issue. I was speechless.

I'll call the French number you have provided and hope they assist.
    Thanks again
    Cheers
    03-22-12 08:04 PM
    Try tapping the battery icon, tap restart. Let it reboot and try charging again.
    Thanks Scotter, I'll try my luck with this approach.
    Cheers
    03-22-12 08:06 PM
    The red LED followed by green pulsing Led indicates the PB is turned off and Charging in most cases. If it's working correctly it will continue to flash green until the PB is fully charged and then stay steady green.
    You say 5 green lights. Does the green pulsing continue or stop at 5?
    You should use the included wall charger not a USB cable to PC.
    Hi Chadd,
    Actually, during 10-15 sec, I've a red light (fixed light) followed by a green fixed light
    Greem light were fixed
    Not sure if this means that the battery is faulty...
    03-23-12 09:49 AM
    What exactly are your symptoms? What were you doing with the PB when you started to have this problem?
    03-23-12 12:00 PM
    What exactly are your symptoms? What were you doing with the PB when you started to have this problem?
    Im having the same issue and it started last night. out of nowhere the playbook went to 0% battery. when on and plugged in, the charging bolt appeared but didnt charge. when off, the light pulses as normal bit after 7 hrs its still at 0%. Reboots dont work, resets dont work.

and i beleive i understand the "5 green pulse" issue. after powering off the device then plugging in the charger, the LED goes red then off. then 3 or 5 quick green blinks appear from the LED then begins to slowly pulse as if it was charging. Which it doesnt.

Ive also posted this issue after searching a solution on the Blackberry support form. It seems like no one had an answer except for sending it in. Im trying to avoid sending it since a) its been about 3 months since i got it, b) it was a Christmas gift and c) i literally cant afford to be charged for any service to it.
    03-23-12 12:12 PM
    PB's have a one year warranty so I wouldn't be concerned about any fee for fixing it.
    Have you tried giving RIM support a call. It doesn't seem that problems like this can be fixed over the phone. They will send you a pre-paid box to put the PB in and ship to them.

If your PB will turn on and function then I would use it until the battery dies. The PB will turn itself off when the battery gets low enough. Then recharge fully. Everything you posted there sounds normal except the percentage showing 0%. Sounds like a software error. Worst case scenario is the PB won't turn back on and RIM should replace it under warranty.
    03-23-12 12:24 PM
    PB's have a one year warranty so I wouldn't be concerned about any fee for fixing it.
    Have you tried giving RIM support a call. It doesn't seem that problems like this can be fixed over the phone. They will send you a pre-paid box to put the PB in and ship to them.

If your PB will turn on and function then I would use it until the battery dies. The PB will turn itself off when the battery gets low enough. Then recharge fully. Everything you posted there sounds normal except the percentage showing 0%. Sounds like a software error. Worst case scenario is the PB won't turn back on and RIM should replace it under warranty.
    Ive used it till it drained and shut itself off. no difference. Ill give them a call later today. Thanks.

Funny thing is, this seems to be a not that rare of an issue
    03-23-12 12:54 PM
    Interesting the OP only ever posted twice (12min apart) ... both on this thread, no where else ! I hope something did not self-destruct
    03-23-12 02:50 PM
    so im currently leaving it on and have it plugged in. While plugged in it works fine. unplugged it and after some usage, it drains. I plug it back in and turn it on. Stays at 0%. im going to wait an hour or two before finally giving in and calling support.
    03-23-12 03:38 PM
    I would suggest you call RIM for a replacement but according to the RIM tech from this thread,
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...way-cb-711311/
    you shouldn't listen to any advice on CB.
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-23-12 04:16 PM
    I would suggest you call RIM for a replacement but according to the RIM tech from this thread,
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...way-cb-711311/
    you shouldn't listen to any advice on CB.
    Lmao!! I've seen that thread.
    Ive got unfilled Sundays midnight to call them. I hate calling any customer support. Lol
    Since it works fine as long as it's plugged in I kept it plugged at work. When I left, I decided to try something....
    I unplugged it after it was in for 3 hours, plugged in my headphones and began to listen to music for my half hour bus commute home. That was at 6pm. Got home at 7 cause of traffic. Got home, chilled, surfed the web on it. It's 9 pm now. It's still on. Here's what I think.....

......the battery charges! The indicator isn't updating. I'm typing on it now and it hasn't been plugged in for 3 hours. Now I don't know if it will effect an OS update coming through. Does the 20% minimum battery required rely on the indicator or the actual battery? Will it still update my os even with it plugged in? I have till midnight est on Sunday to find out cause that's when my 90-day tech support ends.
    03-23-12 08:18 PM
    Hi Chad,

Actually, I've the same symptoms as described in 9of13 post...
    The night before the issue surfaced, I've probably done an error: By mistake, the PB stayed plugged the whole night.... Once fully charged; I forgot to unplugged it. I assume this is the root cause of the issue.

For info, I've bought the PB dock hopping it could solve the problem... After 10h plugged, the battery is still 0%.... really stuck

And as mentioned, by you, i've done another mistake which was to reset the PB as it was advised by some guys here ... So now, still stuck because 20% of battery is not reached...
    03-23-12 08:32 PM
    Lmao!! I've seen that thread.
    Ive got unfilled Sundays midnight to call them. I hate calling any customer support. Lol
    Since it works fine as long as it's plugged in I kept it plugged at work. When I left, I decided to try something....
    I unplugged it after it was in for 3 hours, plugged in my headphones and began to listen to music for my half hour bus commute home. That was at 6pm. Got home at 7 cause of traffic. Got home, chilled, surfed the web on it. It's 9 pm now. It's still on. Here's what I think.....

......the battery charges! The indicator isn't updating. I'm typing on it now and it hasn't been plugged in for 3 hours. Now I don't know if it will effect an OS update coming through. Does the 20% minimum battery required rely on the indicator or the actual battery? Will it still update my os even with it plugged in? I have till midnight est on Sunday to find out cause that's when my 90-day tech support ends.
    Good to hear it's charging, but let me get this straight...the battery icon isn't updating?? Now this is something new. Where's the battery guru when you need him
    03-23-12 08:36 PM
    well, i spoke too soon. after being charged overnight, it died on me this morning in less than 30 mins. finally called support. now my PB is stuck trying to install the OS cause even thought they told me it will still load even under 20%, it didnt. Ill be calling then again in a few.
    03-24-12 04:45 PM
    so i caved and called support. They told me to try opening DM, shut off the PB, plug it in to the PC, and reload the OS. After it loaded, it connected to the Wifi for the regional update and ofcourse, it was stuck there cause i was under 20%. Heres how me and support got it loaded:
    when stuck on the update screen under 20%, this is when a stack charge worked. Plug in the PB using the included wall charger for 2 minutes. aftere the 2 mins, unplug, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in for another 2 mins. Do this repeatedly for about 10 more times. At 20%, it updated. but after leaving it plugged in for 6 hours, it stopped at 86% battery and this morning dropped to 70% in 15 minutes then got stuck there. so i restarted the PB and it wouldnt turn on. (got a solid red LED for 10 seconds then followed by 5 quick green LED flashes). Im currently doing another stack charge with the PB off (no choice) to see if it begins charging. If it doesnt, ill be calling support one more time. Ill keep you all updated.
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-25-12 01:43 PM
    ^ your instructions for the 'stack charge' is a bit different than what others have posted here. Thought the unplug time was also 2 min but you were told just a few seconds?Also wondering, when you use the wall charger do you get any LED's showing?

The reason for my questions, picked up an 'as-is' PB cheap from ebay that was listed as non-working and for parts (couldn't power on), otherwise looks nearly new. So have been following these dead PB/battery charging threads, thinking this PB may be salvageble for use and if not, I will just play around with it opening it up for interest and possible repair or keep around for parts.

This as-is PB may also have a broken usb port connection. My wall charger and the PC usb work with my own PB but doesn't appear to with the ebay unit. The ebay unit has a looser usb connection but I can't tell for sure, just know that there are no led's lighting up when plugged in and the PC doesn't recognize it as a connected device when that usb is used. I suspect this because also have the charging pod that uses the magnetic connectors and when I put the ebay PB in that, the red LED followed by the 5 yellow/green flashes happen. So it is somewhat showing some signs of life and possibly operational, but has the dead battery. But also no luck so far with the stacking charge method at 2 min on/off intervals with the charging pod. Guess I will try the 2 min on/few seconds off, to see what that does. After that, will open it up and see if the usb connection is repairable.
    Last edited by oilgeo10; 03-25-12 at 05:10 PM.
    03-25-12 05:08 PM
    RIM told me charge for 2 mins then unplug for a few seconds.

and yes, the red LED comes on still.
    03-25-12 05:25 PM
    Good to hear it's charging, but let me get this straight...the battery icon isn't updating?? Now this is something new. Where's the battery guru when you need him
    Battery Guru's quite a bit more effective when someone actually buys it. ;-)

(But it's also rather hard to use when you're stuck at an Update screen with it refusing to work until you reach 20% charge.)
    03-25-12 06:38 PM
    Battery Guru's quite a bit more effective when someone actually buys it. ;-)

(But it's also rather hard to use when you're stuck at an Update screen with it refusing to work until you reach 20% charge.)
    it was at the update screen where the stack charge worked. But after the update the problem returned the next day. I just sent my PB to RIM for repair. Its now on its way to Tenn. should have it back in a week.
    03-27-12 03:11 PM
    Same happening to me. It worked for several months, then it now does not charge. It turns on, and shows the charging symbol, but stays at 0%. Any ideas? Is it supposed we change batteries for new ones? What should I do? Throw this machine thru the window?
    PTZ likes this.
    05-30-12 07:38 AM
    Same happening to me. It worked for several months, then it now does not charge. It turns on, and shows the charging symbol, but stays at 0%. Any ideas? Is it supposed we change batteries for new ones? What should I do? Throw this machine thru the window?
    Have you tried using another charger? Some folks have had the original charger fail. If your charger has folding pins, move the in/out a few times - that has helped some folks. Plug into a computer and while it might be very slow, see if the it starts charging but don't use it as a computer usb will not provide sufficient power to run it and charge it.

So you have a bb phone, try that charger but again, just try charging it and not using it as the bb charger does not provide a lot of power.

Or call rim

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    05-30-12 08:40 AM
    There are multiple threads on this issue, search for dead battery / PB not charging etc; there are also two RIM KB articles in these on battery bhaviour etc; my PB has had one RMA already for this irrugular charging / discharging bahaviour, which occurs more and more if these CB post are statistical reference

Am now in final stage of an advanced RMA process, without CC deposit; they have offerd me a new PB at my request, also because I am involved in company wide deployment plot and this is not helping against iPad and Android Tab compitition, besides being a BB BES company with couple thousand handsets etc.. Will keep you posted, needs to b approved by some sr support manager somewhere in NW Europe...
    05-30-12 02:39 PM
    My playbook stopped charging via WALL PLUG... My wife has a LG phone and it came with a similar charger and now it works... But the question is, why did my charger (Original BB Charger) stop working...
    05-30-12 04:49 PM
    This is my third major event with my PlayBook. It is staying at zero with the lightening bolt symbol on. It just stopped working this morning with my cup of tea and Internet cruise. Very disappointed. I was able to bring it back from the dead last time with the stack charging trick with wall charger and full os refresh via the pc. Today it is running via the charger and quickly dies if I unplug it. Is my battery bad maybe? I am a three strike guy and this is my third major problem. So I am commenting to show it is happening to alot of users. I have had to curb my use of the PB for job related activities because it bombed twice when I needed it the most. So now I don't depend on it for anything accept checking out the news and email. I guess I will call the man and see if I can get an exchange or something.
    05-30-12 06:30 PM
141 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD