I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned this problem, but my Playbook won't charge anymore. The screen just stays at 0% and it won't charge at all. I tried using both included cables, but to no avail. I've left it for a few hours, still nothing,. When it still had some battery, I did a hard reset and a factory wipe, no difference. It's going back to the store.

RIM, I am disappoint.
    me disappoint too Playbook no charge.
    04-29-11 12:36 AM
    Weird. My PB charges when it is off. By off, I mean the screen has timed out. I don't use the button (hard and virtual) to turn the unit off.

Are you guys turning the unit off with the button?
    04-29-11 02:28 AM
    Weird. My PB charges when it is off. By off, I mean the screen has timed out. I don't use the button (hard and virtual) to turn the unit off.

yes, people are talking about the fact that it doesn't charge when it is completely turned off, not when it's in standby mode, which is what you're talking about
    04-29-11 08:41 AM

As Leo stated, what you are doing is just putting it in Standby mode, which is still able to charge the PB. Shutting it completely off, with either the Icon or the button won't charge your PB.

I think whoever can't charge their PB when it completely dies has a faulty device or something because I've ran my PB completely dead twice now and both times, when I plugged it in, the red LED came on and my PB started turning on.
    04-29-11 08:48 AM
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents on this. When I first got my PlayBook last week, I had it plugged in until reaching full charge. I worked alot last week and didn't really dedicate too much time to use, therefor, I never had to charge since my initial 100% top up out of the box.

The last time I played w/it I messed around w/Tetris for approx 30 minutes or so. At one point when I "paused" Tetris to go to my browser. Once done w/browser, I went to open Tetris again, and when I clicked back to it, it kinda had this hard shut down of Tetris. The screen went black, and Tetris simply closed on me. Then I tried to re-open Tetris and every time it would get to the EA screen, and then just shut down and go back to my home page.

So I thought to try a restart. My PB wouldn't take on the restart. So I decided to would power down, and start back up. But the power down process just didn't seem right and it was saying it was "powering off" for 10+ minutes. When I powered down I know I had around 40% battery. The next day (yesterday) when I went to turn my PB on, it was dead. Had to plug it into the wall to turn it on. It took 35 minutes or so before even getting a 5% charge.

Now I left it plugged in over night last night and it said it had 100% charge. Pull the plug out, it says 98%. Watched 1 seven minute clip on youtube, 94%. Guess I'll just keep an eye on battery life now before return/exchange window expires next Tuesday.

Oh, and yes I'm running .1710. And no, I'm hardly a noob so it's not user error (as was questioned earlier in this thread).
    Yup so I just had a very similar experience to this. I was on a flight home and I was playing NFS for a while....and it just suddenly started getting choppy and eventually shut down (the game)..At this point i had roughly 17% battery remaining. I just put it to sleep and when I got home I went to turn it on and the battery was dead. Not to mention when I pulled it out of my case it was ridiculously warm and I swear I heard the cooling fan running.

I go to charge it up using the adapter and as many have experienced, it was just stuck at 0% for what seemed like an eternity. Currently im sitting at 26% after over an hour...closer to 2. Something does seem weird/different about this experience but we shall see how this plays out.
    04-30-11 08:48 PM
    That's so bogus. And actually, the PlayBook's OS is the "Tablet OS" which is built on QNX, but which has lots of stuff in it that nuclear power plants never had or needed. Like Flash. Like USB support. Like WiFi. Like power management.
    I got to this thread through a Google search result since I'm having the same issue... I just couldn't help laughing at the irony of this comment.

Nonetheless I did find mine dead this morning and so I left it charging off, now I see that was useless, the thing is it's stock at 0 percent. I'mma leave it on and plugged in a couple hours to see how that goes and post back.

P.S. Plugged in to the wall with it's original (orange-tipped) charger. Also I haven't bricked it or anything as I was reading previously. I mainly use it for browsing and some games and I've only had it for a few weeks without intensive use (well except when I took it out if the box for the first time )

Update
    Nothing... I left it plugged in and on all night long and the thing is stuck at 0%... I thought of performing a wipe clean: BAD IDEA, now the device is at the update screen (yes, the one where it requires 20% charge to update) rendering it USELESS!
    Last edited by PedroC88; 10-22-11 at 09:48 AM.
    10-21-11 07:54 PM
    my playbook is also at 0% and wont charge but i can use it while its plugged into the wall just fine, its just not charging, the charge symbol appears but doesnt actual charge it. what am i suppose to do?
    01-14-12 02:19 PM
    my playbook is also at 0% and wont charge but i can use it while its plugged into the wall just fine, its just not charging, the charge symbol appears but doesnt actual charge it. what am i suppose to do?
    The good part is that all Playbooks are under 1 year old, thus still under warranty. I'd contact RIM Playbook Support to see what they have to say and perhaps arrange for a replacement, a process that sounds pretty simple: 1. Give them a credit card number for a pending charge. 2. They ship you a new one with a shipping label to return your old one. 3. Pending charge lifted once they get your old one. OR 1. They send you a shipping label. 2. You ship your old one. 3. They ship you a new one.

Good luck!
    01-14-12 02:29 PM
    Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    01-14-12 02:43 PM
    The good part is that all Playbooks are under 1 year old, thus still under warranty. I'd contact RIM Playbook Support to see what they have to say and perhaps arrange for a replacement, a process that sounds pretty simple: 1. Give them a credit card number for a pending charge. 2. They ship you a new one with a shipping label to return your old one. 3. Pending charge lifted once they get your old one. OR 1. They send you a shipping label. 2. You ship your old one. 3. They ship you a new one.

Good luck!
    good news, i kept it plugged in to the wall for another hour and a half and it was at 25%!
    01-14-12 03:29 PM
    good news, i kept it plugged in to the wall for another hour and a half and it was at 25%!
    Awesome!
    01-14-12 03:46 PM
    Mine was replaced by RIM, they said that one red blink followed by 5 green blinks is a factory issue. So perhaps if someone could get a grab on the error codes and post them we might have an easier time helping other identity their issues.
    01-23-12 02:43 PM
    When the playbook is below 14% it will charge EXTREMELY slowly. After that it'll pick up.
    01-24-12 12:59 AM
    Mine was replaced by RIM, they said that one red blink followed by 5 green blinks is a factory issue. So perhaps if someone could get a grab on the error codes and post them we might have an easier time helping other identity their issues.
    This is not a factory issue it's a battery completely drained issue, and depending on how long it's been dead the charging method has to be different to revive it.
    01-24-12 01:00 AM
    Are you charging it while it's on?

Playbook won't charge while turned off.
    Not true...I charge mine most of the time turned off.
    01-24-12 01:29 AM
    Update the BlackBerryPlayBook to BlackBerryTablet OS 1.0.5.

In BlackBerry TabletOS 1.0.5 there is a change in the charging behaviour. When the BlackBerryPlayBook is in a powered off state, plugging in the wall charger (not aUSB cable connected to a computer) will cause the BlackBerryPlayBook to boot partway to enable charging. The LED beside the camera will blink yellow to indicate it ischarging and once complete will turn green. When in the charging state, pressing the Power button will cause the BlackBerryPlayBook to continue booting.

Note: If the battery level is critically low, the PlayBook may remain on the boot screen until sufficient charge has been reached to fully boot the PlayBook.

Still I recommend charging while you know it's on to be safe.
    01-24-12 01:31 AM
    Forgot to say I use the "magnetic" charger, of course.
    01-24-12 01:33 AM
    Not true...I charge mine most of the time turned off.
    Well, I have been charging mine when it is OFF for a very long time. as a matter of fact, I do prefer to charge it this way as I can wait till I see the steady GREEN light to know that is is actually FULLY CHARGED.
    03-14-12 06:09 AM
    Running 2.0.0.7971. Use Rim cradle charger. Often will not charge without a reboot. Doc Neutron.
    03-14-12 12:33 PM
    I got to this thread through a Google search result since I'm having the same issue... I just couldn't help laughing at the irony of this comment.

Nonetheless I did find mine dead this morning and so I left it charging off, now I see that was useless, the thing is it's stock at 0 percent. I'mma leave it on and plugged in a couple hours to see how that goes and post back.

P.S. Plugged in to the wall with it's original (orange-tipped) charger. Also I haven't bricked it or anything as I was reading previously. I mainly use it for browsing and some games and I've only had it for a few weeks without intensive use (well except when I took it out if the box for the first time )

Update
    Nothing... I left it plugged in and on all night long and the thing is stuck at 0%... I thought of performing a wipe clean: BAD IDEA, now the device is at the update screen (yes, the one where it requires 20% charge to update) rendering it USELESS!
    Hi !!

Same problem here.. How do you fix it ??

Thanks all for your help !!
    03-21-12 09:26 AM
    Try this if just leaving it on the charger for a few hours does not work

Do a stack charge on it. Plug it in to the charger for about 2 minutes. Then unplug it for about 2 minutes. Repeat 6-12 times. I was told over customer support (when I had to do this to my moms PlayBook for the same flashing leds) that the hardware requires a certain amount of battery for it to recognize the power supply is plugged in to charge it. If it dies so low that the hardware can't recognize it, then it doesn't charge it. Doing it this way will slowly charge it a little at a time until it gets enough battery for that hardware to recognize it's charging. From there it will charge like normal.
    03-21-12 11:18 AM

Do a stack charge on it. Plug it in to the charger for about 2 minutes. Then unplug it for about 2 minutes. Repeat 6-12 times. I was told over customer support (when I had to do this to my moms PlayBook for the same flashing leds) that the hardware requires a certain amount of battery for it to recognize the power supply is plugged in to charge it. If it dies so low that the hardware can't recognize it, then it doesn't charge it. Doing it this way will slowly charge it a little at a time until it gets enough battery for that hardware to recognize it's charging. From there it will charge like normal.
    Thanks F2 for your prompt message.
    Okay, i'll try this method as I'm quite confused...
    Once plugged, immediately light turns red. After few seconds (maybe 5-10), green blinking light comes... and that's it.
    I'll try your method. Hopefully it works

Thanks again !!
    Cheers
    03-21-12 07:06 PM

Hi All and F2,

After multiple tries, still unable to charge... Still having the red light followed by 5 green blinking lights.....
    What to do ?

Any advice ?
    Thanks all for your help.
    Cheers
    03-22-12 10:07 AM
    I don't have a support link for Singapore.

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    03-22-12 10:27 AM
    Try tapping the battery icon, tap restart. Let it reboot and try charging again.
    03-22-12 10:34 AM
141 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD