the thing is.. my playbook IS ON!

i'm using it as we speak, but the battery indicator won't get off of zero.

i'm afraid that if i do a clean wipe that it won't turn on again.

oh screw it, i'm gonna do it now and see how it goes. update in a bit!
    04-24-11 12:13 PM
    errr.. after an hour, it's moved to 2%. i jsut saw that.

maybe it's changed its mine. i'll let it go for a little while longer.
    04-24-11 12:14 PM
    issue resolved!

anyone with zero power simply needs to plug it in for an hour or two... it'll stay at zero, but wait for a little while longer and the power will start registering.

in that hour or two though, i did freak out for a bit, plugged into usb and back up on dm manger and reset once or twice...

overall though, i'd say it was the wall charger that fixed the issue.
    04-24-11 12:39 PM
    Well if the other charging port was utilized then it wouldn't be a problem. Does anyone have a dock to confirm?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    If you mean charging stand, the pb is always on in the stand.
    04-24-11 02:20 PM
    First, the answer "it's in the manual" is silly. It may be but it is counter intuitive and just poor engineering. It one thing to say it should not charge when powered off, but once plugged in it should reboot itself and automatically turn itself on ala ipad.

I had this happen last night. I put the PB on the Rapid Charge stand with 10% left on the battery, i don't believe i turned it off - i thought i was putting it to sleep, but must have shut down... woke up to run out the door to brunch grabbed the Playbook and wow! 0% on the battery meter.

Getting the charge off 0% takes a while... in fact i think it was over 20 minutes before I checked back in and it was at 2% about another 15 minutes until it hit 5%.

Went out, stopped in the park with what was now my last 3% of battery and had just enough power left to FINALLY get the GPS activated by mating BingMaps with Overdrive 4G connection - which is killer by the way, and ran the sucker back to be recharged. Since running it down i have been on the oem USB charger for just over an hour and it's back up to about 21% running bridge and WIFI but not really being used.

While i don't think there is really ever a reason to turn the playbook off (like the ipad) it does seem counterintuitive. Since there is currently no airplane mode and the power button functionality is ehhh, this is still a little confusing.

A software sleep button or gesture should be developed to make this a little easier to live with. That or RIM needs to work out the power button issues. In the convertible case the power button is hit or miss.

Certainly seems stupid to have a device that you want to make as embedded in business and life as the BB is and have it not charge when sitting on the charger. The idea of pulling a device off the rapid charger and finding it at 0% after 8 hours doesn't inspire confidence in the tool.
    04-24-11 02:52 PM
    and mine is stuck at 100% go figure
    and suddenly for no apparent reason it is working again....well "working" so to speak
    04-24-11 03:26 PM
    Some one probably already replied with this, but I didn't feel like reading all the pages :P

I had the same problem with my playbook. Had it plugged into the wall for two hours, stayed at 0%. Tried three different outlets, all the USB ports on my computer, still nothing.

I phoned RIM, they said the battery is probably bad. Took it back to the store and told them my problem and they gave me a new one right away. New one works like a charm.

Yeah it sucks, but when you think about it these things are mass produced. They don't test every single device that would take for ever. They take every 50th device or something (random number pulled out of my ***) and if that one works they assume the last 49 did too. Happens with everything from cellphones to cars.
    04-24-11 03:36 PM
    Some one probably already replied with this, but I didn't feel like reading all the pages :P

I had the same problem with my playbook. Had it plugged into the wall for two hours, stayed at 0%. Tried three different outlets, all the USB ports on my computer, still nothing.

I phoned RIM, they said the battery is probably bad. Took it back to the store and told them my problem and they gave me a new one right away. New one works like a charm.

Yeah it sucks, but when you think about it these things are mass produced. They don't test every single device that would take for ever. They take every 50th device or something (random number pulled out of my ***) and if that one works they assume the last 49 did too. Happens with everything from cellphones to cars.
    just don't be surprised if it happens on your replacement pb too...it seems to be software related...and a pretty widespread problem with the meter not the battery itself
    04-24-11 03:40 PM
    My device will no longer power up via mains or usb, I have tried the debrick software update via DTM for those who have the Rapid Charger does it charge quicker than the standard?

My Playbook displays playbook logo then powers off and via wall charger but not USB seems to be in a constant loop, on comes a solid red light then restarts and I see playbook logo.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this rectified by the rapid charger?

Cheers

David
    04-25-11 07:14 AM
    I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned this problem, but my Playbook won't charge anymore. The screen just stays at 0% and it won't charge at all. I tried using both included cables, but to no avail. I've left it for a few hours, still nothing,. When it still had some battery, I did a hard reset and a factory wipe, no difference. It's going back to the store.

RIM, I am disappoint.
    I am so disappointed with playbook. i was so badly waiting for it and now wen i got it, while set up , battery went off, its not charging, stuck on 0%, doesn't even turn off, don't know if its charging or no.What the **** was RIM thinking while making it i don't understand.I will surely never recommend Blackberry to anyone.
    04-25-11 02:24 PM
    Does anyone with the rapid charge have the same issue?

Can you charge to 100% or do you get stuck at a certain %?
    04-25-11 02:52 PM
    Interesting.

PB was at 85%. I USB connected it with my laptop, transferred a movie (took 12 minutes or so). When I went to unplugt it..says 100% charge.

I did a hard reset and the batery went down to 98%. Plugged it intot he wall charger for about 5 minutes and went back to 100%.

very odd.
    04-26-11 12:18 AM
    this whole wont charge when turned off is silly, but i bet using the three prong charging port would solve that issue i was surprisrd to see that the wall charger didnt use the three prong magnetic charging port. sadness. but i do love my playbook!
    Nope. I have a rapid charging pod and if I turn the PB off it won't charge.
    04-26-11 07:04 AM
    Does anyone with the rapid charge have the same issue?

Can you charge to 100% or do you get stuck at a certain %?
    Yes and if it's off it won't charge.
    04-26-11 07:05 AM
    So, my new Playbook died for the first time (battery that is). I tried to plug it in a charge, but it wouldn't charge off (as stated in the manual from RIM). I tried in several computers, with different USB cables, however no luck. Every time I tried it would simply give a red light followed by five flashing lights. Since there is no info for the blink codes yet, I tried restoring it via Desktop software. That didn't fix it, however the desktop software still detected and installed the firmware even tho the PB wasn't on.

My fix was actually my old Galaxy Tab power adapter, as I didn't have the PB power block with me. Anything over 2amps worth of output will boot the playbook from what I've seen. I have to setup everything from scratch again, but I think that was because I downloaded and re-flashed the firmware prior to getting it working. If the PB power block isnt working for you, take it back, or head over to your local The Source or Radio Shack and pick up an IGO Ipad charger, as it puts out over 2Amps worth of juice.

If that still wont work, take the PB back for an over the counter exchange on one that works.

Looks like I'll be shelling out for the Dock Station x2 so I wont run out of juice at home or work. Maybe RIM should be giving a rebate on dock stations instead of charging $70+ for them!

~G50
    G50
    I have the same issue using the PB charger, Solid red light the the word playbook appears then starts to reset.

Did the device not turn on at all with the standard BB charger and work with the Galaxy TAB? Is the TAB charger the on that plug into a USB cable?

Also anyone with either the 12v 2a rapid travel charger or stand charge does it do the same thing, eg bring a dead device back to life?

Cheers

David
    04-26-11 11:15 AM
    I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned this problem, but my Playbook won't charge anymore. The screen just stays at 0% and it won't charge at all. I tried using both included cables, but to no avail. I've left it for a few hours, still nothing,. When it still had some battery, I did a hard reset and a factory wipe, no difference. It's going back to the store.

RIM, I am disappoint.
    Update#1 I finally found a third-party wall charger by Miztech that works when the supplied charger won't. I'll do a full charge test and post the results. Also testing a couple of portable solar chargers for compatibility.

Update #2: Miztech was a bust- 12 hours connected gets 87% charge. The Lenmar Sol20 Solar charger gives the PB a boost from 0% to a 12% charge level, so I'd consider it an emergency charger for the PB. testing the Solio next.

PB wouldn't charge with the included AC adapter, but does charge when connected to a computer via USB and also with a car charger (!), although very slowly. I tried reloading the OS from Desktop Manager- didn't help. I'm returning it Monday- not sure if I'm gonna replace it or wait for another device. This is 2 returns in a week.
    Last edited by looksee; 05-09-11 at 01:24 AM.
    04-26-11 12:44 PM
    Update: I have tried both an Ipad 2 and a Samsung Galaxy TAB Charger using a Blackberry USB cable, no joy still solid red light then Playbook logo appears briefly and the device goes back on solid red and repeats over and over.

I am still awaiting RIM response!

David
    04-26-11 12:58 PM
    Funky...8 hours off the charger with some light usage, web, HD movie and 3 hard resets and 1 soft and still at 100%.
    04-26-11 06:31 PM
    Everyone must remember that the Playbook's OS is QNX, which is used to operate Nuclear power plants. These power plants can not be shut down, so such power management is not coded in.
    That's so bogus. And actually, the PlayBook's OS is the "Tablet OS" which is built on QNX, but which has lots of stuff in it that nuclear power plants never had or needed. Like Flash. Like USB support. Like WiFi. Like power management.
    04-26-11 07:12 PM
    Update: I have tried both an Ipad 2 and a Samsung Galaxy TAB Charger using a Blackberry USB cable, no joy still solid red light then Playbook logo appears briefly and the device goes back on solid red and repeats over and over.

I am still awaiting RIM response!

David
    Have you tried leaving it plugged into the wall charger for a couple of hours? When my battery went down to single digits, it took a long time to get it up to about ~15%, and then it picked up the pace.
    04-26-11 07:43 PM
    Make sure you are using the charger that came with the Playbook and that the unit is turned on. I had the same problem. It turned out that I was using the block charger for my Torch. When I used the charger that came with Playbook the unit started charging. The playbook charger is a higher amperage charger.
    04-26-11 09:11 PM
    Ok..after 9+ hours it went down to 98%.

Still didn't charge it or plug it in, I'm watching the hockey game. Second intermission, I pick up the PB and the battery says 100%.

This battery indicator is hiliarious. I wish it would make up it's mind hahaha
    04-26-11 10:57 PM
    Ah I had the same problem yesterday. Plugged it in all night with the playbook charger, did not help. Just kept flashing red, but would not boot.
    Tried it with the rapid pod charger, still no luck

Had to run the debrick off the USB. Unfortunately lost pictures, videos, documents... But at least it is working again.

I sent rim support an email monday morning but have not heard a response from them. only got a incident number
    04-26-11 11:18 PM
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents on this. When I first got my PlayBook last week, I had it plugged in until reaching full charge. I worked alot last week and didn't really dedicate too much time to use, therefor, I never had to charge since my initial 100% top up out of the box.

The last time I played w/it I messed around w/Tetris for approx 30 minutes or so. At one point when I "paused" Tetris to go to my browser. Once done w/browser, I went to open Tetris again, and when I clicked back to it, it kinda had this hard shut down of Tetris. The screen went black, and Tetris simply closed on me. Then I tried to re-open Tetris and every time it would get to the EA screen, and then just shut down and go back to my home page.

So I thought to try a restart. My PB wouldn't take on the restart. So I decided to would power down, and start back up. But the power down process just didn't seem right and it was saying it was "powering off" for 10+ minutes. When I powered down I know I had around 40% battery. The next day (yesterday) when I went to turn my PB on, it was dead. Had to plug it into the wall to turn it on. It took 35 minutes or so before even getting a 5% charge.

Now I left it plugged in over night last night and it said it had 100% charge. Pull the plug out, it says 98%. Watched 1 seven minute clip on youtube, 94%. Guess I'll just keep an eye on battery life now before return/exchange window expires next Tuesday.

Oh, and yes I'm running .1710. And no, I'm hardly a noob so it's not user error (as was questioned earlier in this thread).
    04-27-11 06:09 AM
    FOUND FIX!!!

You have to do this while you still have some juice in your playbook.

First while the playbook is on hold down the power button for 20 seconds... the playbook should turn off.

After 20 seconds release the power button and wait 10 seconds.

Now press the power button 1 time.

After the playbook powers up plug in your charger and presto! Playbook now charging...
    Last edited by Basecall; 04-28-11 at 10:49 PM.
    04-28-11 10:46 PM
141 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD