I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned this problem, but my Playbook won't charge anymore. The screen just stays at 0% and it won't charge at all. I tried using both included cables, but to no avail. I've left it for a few hours, still nothing,. When it still had some battery, I did a hard reset and a factory wipe, no difference. It's going back to the store.

RIM, I am disappoint.
    04-21-11 09:40 AM
    Once my PB drained to 0%, I could no longer use the USB charge method. (red light when I hit the power button)

The wall plug worked and booted the PB as soon as I plugged in.
    04-21-11 09:44 AM
    I tried using the included wall plug. The playbook does wake up and it shows that it's charging, but the number never moves from 0%... interesting..
    04-21-11 09:52 AM
    That SUCKS !!

the PlayBook has a 5300 mA battery. This is about 4 times bigger than your phones and on the edge if not over what most PC's will drive out a USB port.

Something further on the subject...
    04-21-11 10:46 AM
    Are you charging it while it's on?

Playbook won't charge while turned off.
    04-21-11 10:53 AM
    Are you charging it while it's on?

Playbook won't charge while turned off.
    I can't figure out why they made it this way.................
    04-21-11 11:05 AM
    Question is can the OP get it going? I'm a little concerned. Is it just user error here or is something seriously wrong? An other ppl who haven't been able to charge the PB after going through the learning stage?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-11 11:11 AM
    try connecting to your computer
    04-21-11 11:21 AM
    Question is can the OP get it going? I'm a little concerned. Is it just user error here or is something seriously wrong? An other ppl who haven't been able to charge the PB after going through the learning stage?
    there are several threads with the same issue. This is also the cause of the "bricking" that people are having from what i can tell. its a problem that i think will happen to many people since it has to install the update right away, or close to it. This update and lack of power seem to be causing problems.
    04-21-11 11:23 AM
    This may prove to be a small issue or major?

Was another tablet by OQO that if you ever let the battery fully discharge it could not be recharged !

OQO is out of business, I think RIM will do better.
    04-21-11 11:29 AM
    Would the OP please post an update if he was able to solve the issue? And if yes, what did you do differently?
    Sorry for the show of urgency, but my PB is being brought over from the US, and if it bricks in india, I would be up sh!t creek without the proverbial paddle. Another month to go before there is any PB support in India.

04-21-11 11:30 AM
    This just happened to me

what do i do now?
    04-21-11 11:12 PM
    This is troubling. I have not restarted my playbook since the original update and it hasn't discharged to 0 on me but this is worrying. Definitely a software issue though. If it was hardware they would have caught it before release.... right?
    04-21-11 11:24 PM
    this whole wont charge when turned off is silly, but i bet using the three prong charging port would solve that issue i was surprisrd to see that the wall charger didnt use the three prong magnetic charging port. sadness. but i do love my playbook!
    04-21-11 11:24 PM
    Mine only charge when the unit is ON. I left it plugged in to the wall for 3 hours and turned the Playbook off, when I turned it back on, it was still at 5%. Now, I have the Playbook on, and its starting to charge.... This is messed up.
    chealyjazz likes this.
    04-22-11 02:21 PM
    above poster, please read, it was stated the playbook charges ONLY WHEN ON
    04-22-11 02:42 PM
    above poster, please read, it was stated the playbook charges ONLY WHEN ON
    This official for ALL playbooks? If so, what is the reason for this?
    04-23-11 10:42 PM
    It's right in the user guide: "Your tablet does not charge when turned off."
    04-23-11 10:50 PM
    The reason is that either the firmware is not programmed to allow it OR the hardware is simply not capable of it. The power management circuitry may require an os to control it or a driver? I'm really not sure but I would bet on some technical reason relating to the hardware not built with this feature in mind. Keep in mind this hardware was probably built by a bunch of teams and put together in a nice package as the playbook. It isn't necesarily RIMs fault.
    04-23-11 11:25 PM
    The reason is that either the firmware is not programmed to allow it OR the hardware is simply not capable of it. The power management circuitry may require an os to control it or a driver? I'm really not sure but I would bet on some technical reason relating to the hardware not built with this feature in mind. Keep in mind this hardware was probably built by a bunch of teams and put together in a nice package as the playbook. It isn't necesarily RIMs fault.
    Well if the other charging port was utilized then it wouldn't be a problem. Does anyone have a dock to confirm?

04-23-11 11:27 PM
    So, my new Playbook died for the first time (battery that is). I tried to plug it in a charge, but it wouldn't charge off (as stated in the manual from RIM). I tried in several computers, with different USB cables, however no luck. Every time I tried it would simply give a red light followed by five flashing lights. Since there is no info for the blink codes yet, I tried restoring it via Desktop software. That didn't fix it, however the desktop software still detected and installed the firmware even tho the PB wasn't on.

My fix was actually my old Galaxy Tab power adapter, as I didn't have the PB power block with me. Anything over 2amps worth of output will boot the playbook from what I've seen. I have to setup everything from scratch again, but I think that was because I downloaded and re-flashed the firmware prior to getting it working. If the PB power block isnt working for you, take it back, or head over to your local The Source or Radio Shack and pick up an IGO Ipad charger, as it puts out over 2Amps worth of juice.

If that still wont work, take the PB back for an over the counter exchange on one that works.

Looks like I'll be shelling out for the Dock Station x2 so I wont run out of juice at home or work. Maybe RIM should be giving a rebate on dock stations instead of charging $70+ for them!

~G50
    04-24-11 01:41 AM
    Mine only charge when the unit is ON. I left it plugged in to the wall for 3 hours and turned the Playbook off, when I turned it back on, it was still at 5%. Now, I have the Playbook on, and its starting to charge
    Mine too, I left it Off and plugged into wall charger all night. Didn't charge.still at 2%, turned it on and its charging. Build .1710
    04-24-11 09:04 AM
    i can't remember how much power was left on my PB last nigth before i put it away... more than 10% for sure.

i went to bed and the thing was dead. i plugged it in and the thing turned on and restarted. i've been trying to charge it, but it wont get passed zero. it's been over half an hour.

what the **** do i do!!
    04-24-11 11:30 AM
    and mine is stuck at 100% go figure
    04-24-11 11:40 AM
    whoever at rim came up with that, not letting the pb charge when off should be fired. seriously ....
    04-24-11 11:47 AM
141 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD