I absolutely love my Playbook. I bring it every I go, even to the bathroom.

At the time I bought it, I was originally going to buy a Nook or Kindle since I read a lot, but when the Playbook went on sale for $249, I figured I might as well get it since I could get a lot more for my money. Well it's been 5 months since I had my Playbook and I haven't read one book! I have several books on my Playbook, but I cannot bring myself to read a full book. I keep getting distracted with all the things to do on the Playbook. Does anyone else have this problem? Those who have a Kindle or Nook, do you find yourself going to your old device to read books or do you have no problem using the Playbook for reading?

I'm thinking of buying the cheapest Kindle or Nook to get me back on track with reading, but I'm not sure about carrying around two devices (can't bring myself to leave my Playbook home alone). Even if I bought an e-reader, I'm not sure I won't leave it in my bag and grab the Playbook.
    02-27-12 11:16 AM
    Dedicated E-Reader is the way to go. As you say, there are too many distractions on the PlayBook - unless you are really disciplined of course

I have had a Kindle (WiFi Keyboard) and love it. Although some studies have come out saying E-Ink does not represent a better medium for eye strain than a back-lit device like a PlayBook - I call BS. Reading on my Kindle under natural light is 100x easier on my eyes.

Plus - the battery life of an E-Ink device is tremendous. Why blow out your PlayBook's "10 hour" battery reading books for hours on end? Use the cheaper device that has month-long battery life & save your PlayBook from charging more than it needs to.
    02-27-12 11:24 AM
    Thanks for the input. I think I'll take your advice.
    02-27-12 01:24 PM
    i agree, ive tried to get into ereading on my PB, but i cant, it just cant beat my tried and tested good old fashioned ereader. this makes me sad in a way, since i love my pb and any excuse to spend more time on it, but trying to use it as an ereader i find i read significantly less than than when my books are on my PRS505
    02-27-12 01:29 PM
    I too have a dedicated e-reader ... in my case a Sony PRS-650. I too find it much easier on my eyes than any LCD screen.

When I'm going to read ... I want to read. I don't want to connect to the Internet ... don't want to check emails etc ... I just want to read. The combination of a dedicated e-reader works for me. Love my PB but it really is just too distracting when I want to read.
    02-27-12 01:36 PM
    Why not just turn off your Internet connection, it's not really rocket surgery
    02-27-12 02:48 PM
    I find that there isnt any problem at all... if the book is good!

Reading Canticle for Leibowitz right now and am half way through.
    Ive read at least a dozen books on it since I got it in december
    02-27-12 02:52 PM
    I don't much care for E-books. LCD screens hurt my eyes after looking at them for a long time and physical book don't break when I drop them or run out of battery.
    02-27-12 03:35 PM
    Not only does the PlayBook distract me from reading, it distracts me from everything
    02-27-12 03:35 PM
    I've had my Kindle for the past 18 months and I still find myself grabbing that instead of my PlayBook. Not just because of the distraction the PB offers, but also because I prefer e-ink for reading (no backlight, no glare and because of battery life -both to preserve battery on my PB and I can use the Kindle for weeks without charging)

I do use the Kindle apps on both my BB 9780 and PB for shorter stretches of reading -like when I'm in line at the grocery store- or when I don't have my Kindle on me. Then thanks to the amazon Whispernet syncing I can pick my Kindle up and continue right where I left of. It works perfectly for me this way.
    02-27-12 03:50 PM
    I absolutely love my Playbook. I bring it every I go, even to the bathroom.

At the time I bought it, I was originally going to buy a Nook or Kindle since I read a lot, but when the Playbook went on sale for $249, I figured I might as well get it since I could get a lot more for my money. Well it's been 5 months since I had my Playbook and I haven't read one book! I have several books on my Playbook, but I cannot bring myself to read a full book. I keep getting distracted with all the things to do on the Playbook. Does anyone else have this problem? Those who have a Kindle or Nook, do you find yourself going to your old device to read books or do you have no problem using the Playbook for reading?

I'm thinking of buying the cheapest Kindle or Nook to get me back on track with reading, but I'm not sure about carrying around two devices (can't bring myself to leave my Playbook home alone). Even if I bought an e-reader, I'm not sure I won't leave it in my bag and grab the Playbook.
    That is so funny, i spent 2 months researching which Ereader to buy and i didn't like the kindle because it was so basic and the sony one flickers which i thought was horrible. so i thought buy a tablet that way for very similar money i could get so much more.
    i have put LOADS of books on it already and i have had it about a month and have yet to read a book on it.
    02-27-12 03:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD