as both an ipad and playbook owner,
    i can compare them side by side...

last year when trying to read an ebook in miami, it was almost impossible without putting a towel over myhead and ipad...

this morning i am using my playbook in direct sunlight, and the display is quite readable...i have yet to hide in the shade to read a webpage or messages...

anyone else notice this as well?

i keep missing the n key... in direct sunlight it should read...
    Last edited by waltermixxx; 05-08-11 at 08:26 AM.
    05-08-11 08:24 AM
    I miss the N button a lot too, if this was posted from your PB. I usually hit the space bar. Anyways.. I have noticed that the display does work very well in sunlight. The only thing I can compare it too is my BB Torch and my iPod, and the PlayBook is a lot easier to read then either of those.
    05-08-11 08:31 AM
    yup i hit the spacebar instead of the n... and enjoy reading crackberry on my playbook.... outside.... in the yard....

its a beautiful day in the neighborhood ...
    05-08-11 08:45 AM
    RIM is the king of displays! My Bold, Torch and Playbook are bright and vivid! They make the iPhone, iPad and Nook Color look weak and washed out by comparison.
    05-08-11 09:42 AM
    The reason most people see the Playbook display as being better then the iPad/iPad2 screen is because of the pixel density and brightness, both of which are higher then the iPad's specs.

And the OP's point is very valid, I was using my PB in the convertible while the wife drove a day or two ago. Was very impressed that even with the sun on it, I could read the display perfectly through my sunglasses. My iPad display becomes VERY unreadable in sunlight, not helpful for a device you want to use throughout the day wherever you want.

iPhone4 has an amazing screen, but once again in the sunlight you're going to be in the same boat with the screen being hard to read. My boss just moved to an iPhone and that was something I pointed out as we left a meeting, he couldn't read his emails till he got back into the car.

Every device has it's pros and cons, it's just the way the game goes.
    05-08-11 01:40 PM
    If you get a otterbox and use the build in screen protector it actually is better. i was laying down on the tailgate of my pickup truck after washing my boat and i decided to read while i waited for the deck carpet to dry. It work very well i could see everything without glare or reflection. Mind you i keep my otterbox on 90% of the time, the 10% is cleaning off the pb of the hair and stuff that gets in there.
    05-08-11 02:03 PM
    Has anyone else noticed vertical and horizontal sort of bands across the screen in a sort of blueprint design under bright light? I don't notice it normally, just when the screen is dark or off and something's shining on it.
    05-08-11 02:24 PM
    God to know! Thanks!
    05-08-11 03:10 PM
    Has anyone else noticed vertical and horizontal sort of bands across the screen in a sort of blueprint design under bright light? I don't notice it normally, just when the screen is dark or off and something's shining on it.
    That's the touchscreen digitizer, if you get the right lighting and angle you can see it pretty well.
    05-08-11 03:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD