My friend returned from the devcon in Singapore and showed off the free playbook and let me keep it for a few days. I am so amazed by the ease of doing things on it, moving through applications, switching between wifi and blue tooth, bridge, speed of the browser, overall a super smooth product. Yes, the apps may be lacking in numbers but there are plenty of decent apps for somebody like me.

As an ipad1 owner, this product is truly superior. So, I go ahead and make use of the 50% offer in India and get one for myself. Another one of my friend who is travelling asked me to get one for him yesterday, so I go to three stores, all are out of stock and yesterday was the last day.

And then this news came out - PlayBook sold out in India, RIM extends festive offer by a week - Tech News - IBNLive

So, if you are in India and thinking of buying a tablet, go for the playbook (especially if you own a BB phone), you will love it.
    01-01-12 05:38 AM
    Wow looks like the PlayBook is getting some attention in India. Sweet
    01-01-12 06:51 AM
    RIM/BB/PB are must haves everywhere else outside the US.
    01-04-12 08:48 AM
    The US cant kick it's apple habit.
    Thanks for posting reality OP, we seem to be in some kind of strange twilight zone playbook denial mode here.
    01-04-12 09:17 AM
    The US cant kick it's apple habit.
    Thanks for posting reality OP, we seem to be in some kind of strange twilight zone playbook denial mode here.
    Good point. I hear sub-Saharan Africa is all-in on the PlayBook.
    01-04-12 09:22 AM
    RIM/BB/PB are must haves everywhere else outside the US.
    For me even in the US.

Anyone else understand economist need to post in every thread about the playbook? Must be jealous.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    01-04-12 09:45 AM
    Economist reminds me of Eeeyore from Winnie the Pooh. Kind of entertaining in that way.
    01-04-12 09:57 AM
    India is one of the bright spots for RIM. The smartphone market may be relatively small (around 8 million sold during the first 9 months of 2011), but it is growing rapidly (over 100% annual growth rate, I think). RIM has said its share there is growing faster than the smartphone market. A few months ago RIM was #3 in smartphones there, after Samsung and Nokia, but projections had RIM soon overtaking the market leader Samsung. Apple is a minor player in India.

BlackBerry phones are supposedly available at 10,000 sales points and in 500 going on 1000 "Experience Zones," where an "Experience Zone" is a sort of dedicated BlackBerry store housed in a larger store.

Given the potential for software/app development by Indian developers, I think RIM would be wise to push the PlayBook there.
    01-04-12 10:00 AM
    I hear sub-Saharan Africa is all-in on the PlayBook.
    Somewhere in this forum, a poster in South Africa said that all the TV news presenters were visibly using PlayBooks when on the air ... is that the kind of thing you were thinking about?
    01-04-12 10:04 AM
    For me even in the US.

Anyone else understand economist need to post in every thread about the playbook? Must be jealous.
    Yeah I noticed that too.Must be compulsive behavior of some kind.
    01-04-12 10:42 AM
    Folks accept that the ipad is a well-established product. It appears to provide what folks want as does the iphone. They are elegant packages with tons of apps. But elegance and design have not been as successful for the mac itself. So, really it is not blind acceptance of everything apple. The product still needs to be what people want.

Rim may not be able to overcome apple but if rim would do things right, they should still be able to provide a lot of us with the tools and toys we want. They obviously bobbled the introduction and their follow up was just as weak.

I believe that they will have a difficult time given that introduction to the market. Can they stay the course?
    01-04-12 10:48 AM
    For me even in the US.

It's not gone unnoticed.
    01-04-12 10:56 AM
    F2, those of us who complain about those type of trollish posts are not apple haters. Quite the opposite. I respect apple for what they've done, their focus on simple to use devices has been brilliant and coupled with awesome marketing, it is impressive. I love that the ipad has educational apps for autistic children. Wow! With 40 million devices and growing, clearly the apps available are second to none.

What I can't understand is why the apple devotees spend so much time on this website crapping on BB devices and pointing out their flaws. I've never owned anything electronic without some flaws, even apple stuff. The fact is Bb devices have a lot of awesome features and there are a lot of us who like them. Why do the i-fanboys have to stand there like bullies and issue a constant barrage of negative comments???
    skully88 likes this.
    01-04-12 12:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD