Good day!

Bought a 32GB PlayBook about a month ago. LOVE. IT.

So does my 3yr old, and within about 3 days of getting it, he dropped it and broke the glass. DAMN. IT.

So I ordered from eBay, a replacement piece of glass (without frame). Got the disassembly instructions by watching videos on YouTube. Pretty basic stuff, but a bit of a PITA because you have to separate the old glass from the frame, and then somehow adhere the new glass to the same frame. Got this all done, but the screen did not work. Ebay seller sent my money back, and bought a screen from someone else, this time it included the metal frame so I didn't have to go crazy with my chisel and 2 sided tape to get the glass installed properly. Works like a charm!

However, now my wifi will only work about 6ft away from the router. Beyond that, it sees no signal. I've seen a couple threads that talk about this briefly. There is some debate about what antennas are where on the PlayBook. I am here to solve that debate:

(Viewing from the back):

Top Left (White Wire) - Wireless N
    Top Right (Black Wire) - Wireless G
    Bottom Left (Gray Wire) - GPS
    Bottom Right (Blue Wire) - Bluetooth

Since I use a Wireless G router, I decided to take a closer look at the antenna. Sure enough, there is a small solder connecting the antenna to the wire that was broken (by me, I guess when I was disassembling). It is ridiculously fragile, so its not surprising that others may have issues with this Antenna, even if they don't disassemble their PB.

I've included a pic of the offending solder, this antenna is attached to the top of the speaker on the right (as viewed from the back of the PB). Found a replacement for $10, so I will report my findings. I would have attempted repair, but couldn't find my tools...

Playbook disassembly tips and ongoing repair-dscn9713.jpg
    03-25-13 11:21 AM
    Well done, well, not the kid breaking it in the first place but repairing it to the extent you did.

And THANKS for sharing your discoveries.
    sad_old_man and KermEd like this.
    03-25-13 12:57 PM
    Well done, well, not the kid breaking it in the first place but repairing it to the extent you did.

And THANKS for sharing your discoveries.
    I'm not sure which one of you I should worry about the most?
    03-25-13 01:03 PM
    Good job OP. I disassembled and repaired three now and while very, very far from an expert, I do advise slow and very careful with all components and connections. My first digitizer replacement took me twice as long as the second and by the third it was really smooth. I personally prefer a very small pencil torch or soldering iron to heat up the frame tape adhesive. Both have worked well for me with no overheating or heat damage to any surrounding components. All three repaired PBs are working well.
    If you have to do another, I'm sure it will go much better now that you've gotten your feet wet
    FF22 and troubl3dman like this.
    03-25-13 08:13 PM
    Well, she's back together and in fighting form! I had a bit of a panic attack, as I guess the battery was discharged to 0% and it took FOREVER for it to start charging. But it did eventually.

The other thing I bunged up was the power button. If you aren't careful with how you slip the rear cover back on, you can bunch up the rubber part of the power button, at which point it won't work. I took it back apart, and carefully slid it back together, and now have no issues.

The left speaker wasn't working either, but that was due to the black antenna wire interfering with the connection of the speaker to the frame. Easily fixed!

I had a couple of leftover parts from last time, one was a piece of molded rubber. Now I can't find these extra parts, so I didn't replace it. I think it goes underneath the charging ports, to help keep them from being damaged. I will just be extra ginger with the charging ports, and if I ever find the piece of molded rubber I will install it then.
    troubl3dman likes this.
    04-03-13 10:23 AM
    Thing won't work unless you have extra parts left over. Enjoy your PlayBook.
    bbobruns and troubl3dman like this.
    04-03-13 04:15 PM
    Happy to have read this thread. I suppose that battery replacement should be possible when the time comes when my battery won't hold a charge.
    disallow and troubl3dman like this.
    04-04-13 12:13 PM
    Last night I replaced my cracked LCD in my 64GB. After replacement I connected it to the charger. The PB began to charge. Turns on fine.

However, there appears to be white fuzziness in majority of my screen. Before installing the LCD under the glass, I noticed some smudges and used a micro-fiber cloth. I wonder if this use of micro-fiber to wipe the LCD has caused the white fuzziness that I am noticing. Or if I did not properly install the LCD. I think I might have missed the step with the frame tape.
    Any thoughts or input? Should I take it all apart again?
    Thanks!
    06-17-13 10:13 AM
    hi there, so I tried to do the same, bought the replacement screen from ebay, as well as the tools, took apart the Playbook, put it all back together, and at first I was scare cause when I pressed the power button nothing happend, so I placed it on the desktop stand and good it began to charge, so again , I pressed the power button and it turned on.

Waited until it finished turning on, tried out the video recorder, player everything was fine. Then I noticed therer wasn't a wifi connection, so I got underneat the are where the wifi router is (second floor) and it barely got 1 bar, so I went up to it and next to it I only get 2 bars.

According to your expertise, what should I look into?

Thanks guys....
    03-28-14 01:49 PM
    here's a pic

Playbook disassembly tips and ongoing repair-img_20140328_105944269_hdr.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook disassembly tips and ongoing repair-img_20140328_105851684.jpg  
    Last edited by blakviper; 03-28-14 at 02:28 PM. Reason: changin picture
    troubl3dman likes this.
    03-28-14 02:21 PM
    Wow, super thread, really loving it. I cracked my screen a year ago and i believe i'm going to replace it this summer...DIY style. Your post will definitely help me when I attempt mine. The screen is still able to be used, yes it has a couple webs and some hairlines...but I don't even notice a change. I just get tired of being asked, "Did you know your screen is cracked?". And they only notice when I let them know this is not an android but a blackberry, then they ask to play with it.

Anyhow, i'm subscribing so I hope you keep the thread going. And I will come back and give feedback once I do my repair.
    03-29-14 01:41 AM
    Wow, super thread, really loving it. I cracked my screen a year ago and i believe i'm going to replace it this summer...DIY style. Your post will definitely help me when I attempt mine. The screen is still able to be used, yes it has a couple webs and some hairlines...but I don't even notice a change. I just get tired of being asked, "Did you know your screen is cracked?". And they only notice when I let them know this is not an android but a blackberry, then they ask to play with it.

Anyhow, i'm subscribing so I hope you keep the thread going. And I will come back and give feedback once I do my repair.
    The main piece of advice I have for a digitizer replacement is to take it slow and gentle with the ribbon and wire connections. I would write down each disconnection to insure you don't get it back together and find you forgot the wifi antenna or left speaker
    03-29-14 02:57 AM
    This may be a stupid question, but if my PlayBook is functioning fine in all other respects - i.e. it can turn on and off with the power button and the OS seems to be functioning fine, yet the touchscreen is completely unresponsive, replacing the screen & digitizer ought to fix that? What were some of the symptoms you had which prompted you to replace the screen, besides just visual? Did you guys also lose touch input?
    03-29-14 04:12 AM
    exactly the issue I have. Good trouble shooting - once soldered I reckon ill be back in action - was definitely caused by my disassemble, but the solder is very fragile as you say.

Many thanks again, my PB is no longer (such) a brick with wireless-G working again.
    04-12-15 10:48 AM