�Can someone tell me how the file and directory structure works for Playbook? I went throught the files directory with files & Folders (witch is great by the way) and I can't figure out how the structure works.

I see a downloads folder a documents folder, etc. My local files seems to be in the 1000/share/etc. directory...

What is the best way to works?
    Innovatology likes this.
    03-17-13 06:26 PM
    Here are some images. The one is Files&Folders. The PB's folders as you have found are under the Shared folder. The other image is a Windows' Explorer view of those same folders but they are in the MEDIA Folder which equates with the Shared Folder. The photos and camera (this stores pictures/video you take with the pb) folders are the ones that show up in the Pictures app. Any subfolders you create under the photos folder show as as ALBUMS. The music folder holds your mp3 type files. The video app shows your movies/tv and similar video files from the video folder (and the app can find other videos on your pb). The documents folder can hold word docs/excel or pdf files or similar files. While you can create subfolders for YOUR use, the pb tends to ignore them except for the aforementioned ALBUMs under the photos folder.

Now to get somewhat interesting, there is the misc folder. This is where Android apps (from appworld or sideloaded) will store some of their needed files. AND there are mirror folders that appear to contain the contents of the photos, music, etc but they are links to help android find what it needs. BUT they are not really duplicate files but if you erase the links in the misc/android/etc folders, the REAL files will be erased. Ignore this paragraph if you don't need that info yet!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails -img_20120340.jpg   -pb-folders.jpg  
    03-17-13 06:57 PM
    Thanks for the info, that's great.... If I understand correctly, I should always use playbook\accounts\1000\shared to store my files... this way I'll be able to access them easily with my playbook file explorer.

You see I'm a lacrosse and hockey coach and I don't want to carry papers and documents anymore. So I want everything in my PB. In order to find everything easily, I'm filling everything in folders (just like in a PC)...

I tried a few things, some worked, some other were better. I guess I have to try and see.
    But I admit, I'm not to familiar with the PB directory structure (I see it as a computer with a windows, program files, etc. folders).
    03-17-13 07:13 PM
    It is pretty much the same as a Windows computer. Think of the Shared or Media (seen from either usb or wifi-sharing) as the TOP/root of the c: drive.

You'd put your lacrosse documents in the Documents folder. If you download something using the browser, they'd wind up in the downloads folder. You can move stuff using Files&Folders.

The limitation as I kind of hinted - while YOU can create

documents/lacrosse
    documents/volley
    documents/personal

And place items in each as appropriate, the pb only shows them in the documents folder and ignores your further refinement.

You really might investigate wifi-sharing. No cable and drag/drop to where you want stuff.
    03-17-13 09:20 PM
    Thanks for sharing your info. Could you give us a step-by-step example of downloading a file from, say either the online newspaper or whatever? Do you go to F&F first and click on Downloads or do you start from the online newspaper? Do you right-click the online article first?
    This will be a great help to many of us who are new to F&F.
    03-17-13 10:44 PM
    You generally download files from a website. Whether an entire newspaper article can be downloaded would depend on if the site offers such a download. But some sites do have links to pdf files or even a picture (jpg) that can be downloaded. If there's something to download, Press and HOLD on the image or pdf link or whatever. You should get an option to download. If you proceed, the file will go to the download folder, unless given an opportunity to change name or location.
    03-17-13 11:16 PM
    Thanks for sharing your info. Could you give us a step-by-step example of downloading a file from, say either the online newspaper or whatever? Do you go to F&F first and click on Downloads or do you start from the online newspaper? Do you right-click the online article first?
    This will be a great help to many of us who are new to F&F.
    For copying snippets of text from a website, use the browser to select text, then copy & paste it into a new Word file with Documents To Go. Or of the website offers the text as a pdf, you can just open it with the browser which will place it in the Downloads folder.

Files & Folders isn't meant for downloading articles from websites (other than the supported cloud services). Once you have such a file on your PlayBook you can manage it and other files with F&F.
    03-18-13 12:56 AM
    damn good thread,,, great info!!! most i'm familiar w/ as i move things around between pc & pb pretty often but it's good to clear up a few things...
    03-18-13 06:09 PM
    Thanks F2 and Innovatology.
    03-19-13 12:41 AM
    If the website will allow printing you can also download to the PB using print to go from your computer if you happen to be using it.
    Innovatology likes this.
    03-19-13 02:07 AM
    Here are some images. The one is Files&Folders. The PB's folders as you have found are under the Shared folder. The other image is a Windows' Explorer view of those same folders but they are in the MEDIA Folder which equates with the Shared Folder. The photos and camera (this stores pictures/video you take with the pb) folders are the ones that show up in the Pictures app. Any subfolders you create under the photos folder show as as ALBUMS. The music folder holds your mp3 type files. The video app shows your movies/tv and similar video files from the video folder (and the app can find other videos on your pb). The documents folder can hold word docs/excel or pdf files or similar files. While you can create subfolders for YOUR use, the pb tends to ignore them except for the aforementioned ALBUMs under the photos folder.

Now to get somewhat interesting, there is the misc folder. This is where Android apps (from appworld or sideloaded) will store some of their needed files. AND there are mirror folders that appear to contain the contents of the photos, music, etc but they are links to help android find what it needs. BUT they are not really duplicate files but if you erase the links in the misc/android/etc folders, the REAL files will be erased. Ignore this paragraph if you don't need that info yet!!!!
    Ok with you so far F2 but I would just like a little more information. I have set up all my structure under 1000/share/ tree but when I look in playbook/sdcard I see the same folders duplicated?
    04-27-13 06:49 AM
    Yeah, those are the same. The /sdcard folder is exposed for Android apps and is a symbolic link to the /accounts/1000/shared folder.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-27-13 08:29 AM
    Yeah, those are the same. The /sdcard folder is exposed for Android apps and is a symbolic link to the /accounts/1000/shared folder.
    I like you a lot and I know that you are one of those klever peoples, so why have bb duplicated the file structure??????
    04-27-13 08:39 AM
    It's for the Android runtime to run properly as Android apps expect app data to be in /data and user data in /sdcard. Native apps are expected to work with the /accounts/1000 folder tree.

Trojan horse, like I said
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-27-13 08:51 AM
    As noted, they are symbolic links that help Android apps (for better or worse, they do exist and must be accommodated) find files and write files to the pb.

The real hassle is that viewing those folders (I still tend to use the older DOS terms of directories) from Windows (don't know Macs), they appear quite real and if you try manually copying files from a 64gb pb to your computer, you might find the Windows wants to copy about twice the pb's capacity - not quite 128gb but whatever. And further frustrating manual backup/copy, while many files are shadow duplicates, there are also unique files created by Android apps. I have not found a way to easily copy those unique files. Of course, those firmly opposed to installing any Android apps, whether sideloaded or sold in the BBWorld (aka appworld), may not run into this issue but, the shadow dupes do exist on their pb's anyway.

Also, the names of those shadow/symbolic folders are not the same in both pb jargon and Android jargon. So for instance, the photos folder is called DCIM (I think - too lazy to look right now).

Have a good day in Jolly Ol' England (or Chandler)

edited to add and fix: photos folder is the "pictures" folder in the Android system. The DCIM folder contains the camera folder in the Android nomenclature. Movies in Android is Videos in the pb naming system. And to make it even more interesting, there seem to be both Uppercase and lowercase versions of some of these folders: pictures and Pictures, Movies and movies.

Have fun..............
    Last edited by F2; 04-27-13 at 09:29 AM.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-27-13 09:18 AM
    As noted, they are symbolic links that help Android apps (for better or worse, they do exist and must be accommodated) find files and write files to the pb.

The real hassle is that viewing those folders (I still tend to use the older DOS terms of directories) from Windows (don't know Macs), they appear quite real and if you try manually copying files from a 64gb pb to your computer, you might find the Windows wants to copy about twice the pb's capacity - not quite 128gb but whatever. And further frustrating manual backup/copy, while many files are shadow duplicates, there are also unique files created by Android apps. I have not found a way to easily copy those unique files. Of course, those firmly opposed to installing any Android apps, whether sideloaded or sold in the BBWorld (aka appworld), may not run into this issue but, the shadow dupes do exist on their pb's anyway.

Also, the names of those shadow/symbolic folders are not the same in both pb jargon and Android jargon. So for instance, the photos folder is called DCIM (I think - too lazy to look right now).

Have a good day in Jolly Ol' England (or Chandler)
    No no no I've found out where it is and for one its cold! I don't do cold whatsoever. Number two its located near some very strange sounding places that make me think of the film deliverance?????????? You get me? Nod nod wink wink

ps thanks for that I now understand?
    04-27-13 09:28 AM
    No no no I've found out where it is and for one its cold! I don't do cold whatsoever. Number two its located near some very strange sounding places that make me think of the film deliverance?????????? You get me? Nod nod wink wink

ps thanks for that I now understand?
    Well, the best I can come up with:

1. Chandler, Arizona, United States Of America
    2. Chandler, Indiana, United States Of America
    3. Chandler, Minnesota, United States Of America
    4. Chandler, Oklahoma, United States Of America
    5. Chandler, Texas, United States Of America
    6. Chandler Heights, Arizona, United States Of America
    7. Chandler, Canada
    8. Chandler's Ford, United Kingdom

You might be most comfortable in the last one!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-27-13 10:11 AM
    Well, the best I can come up with:

1. Chandler, Arizona, United States Of America
    2. Chandler, Indiana, United States Of America
    3. Chandler, Minnesota, United States Of America
    4. Chandler, Oklahoma, United States Of America
    5. Chandler, Texas, United States Of America
    6. Chandler Heights, Arizona, United States Of America
    7. Chandler, Canada
    8. Chandler's Ford, United Kingdom

You might be most comfortable in the last one!
    Just between you and I and don't mention this to anyone but it's option 1. Do you know it's surrounded by places with weird sounding names? How about these then for a start?

Four Peaks Wilderness?
    Tonto National Forest (the lone rangers mate?)
    Superstition Mountain?
    Apache Junction?

Now I don't know about you but those names immediately make me think of "deliverance". You know grits and hog jowl, mash stills, coldness, John Wayne and high chaparral?
    04-27-13 12:20 PM
    Just between you and I and don't mention this to anyone but it's option 1. Do you know it's surrounded by places with weird sounding names? How about these then for a start?

Four Peaks Wilderness?
    Tonto National Forest (the lone rangers mate?)
    Superstition Mountain?
    Apache Junction?

Now I don't know about you but those names immediately make me think of "deliverance". You know grits and hog jowl, mash stills, coldness, John Wayne and high chaparral?
    If I recall - did not look it up - but you can seek out the Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine or was it the Dutchman's Lost Gold Mine which may be in the, near, under, over the Superstitions. And you don't want to mess with John Wayne (Gacy's another matter) - he's an icon. Lived up in these parts, pardner, at one time.

I did enjoy visiting Tucson for those years my parents lived there - change of pace and scenery and surrounded by nice hiking mountains. I also owned a bicycle down there.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-27-13 12:45 PM
    As for WILDERNESS, many "civilized" people covet the amazing Wilderness areas in the US of A. Grand, unique, to be treasured.

edited to add:

"The Wilderness Act is well known for its succinct and poetic definition of wilderness:

“A wilderness, in contrast with those areas where man and his own works dominate the landscape, is hereby recognized as an area where the earth and community of life are untrammeled by man, where man himself is a visitor who does not remain.”"
    Last edited by F2; 04-27-13 at 01:33 PM.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-27-13 12:49 PM
    As for WILDERNESS, many "civilized" people covet the amazing Wilderness areas in the US of A. Grand, unique, to be treasured.
    I think I kind of understand what your saying and I.... Forget that no I don't understand at all. What is it that whenever I mention somewhere in that country where you lot all live and look it up on my trusty bing maps, standard issue on the pb! People give me another host of places I've never heard of? I always thought Tuscany was in Italy???? God I knew I was stupid, I just didn't know how stupid?
    04-27-13 01:33 PM
    Nothing wrong with Rome, NY and Paris, Texas. But with your attitude, I doubt you'd like Truth or Consequences, NM! Maybe, Boring, Oregon would be more your cup of tea.
    04-27-13 01:59 PM
    See I told you the polar bear would end up shouting at me?
    04-27-13 02:09 PM
    Just to help things along a bit:

Summer Weather in Chandler, AZ

June 6, 2011
    Digg Digg

Summer can best be described as “Very Uncomfortable.” As you stand still, imagine placing a hair dryer in front of you and blowing hot air on your face for 2-3 minutes. Temperatures start to feel furnace-like. As you try this little experiment, you might think. “This is ridiculous. Breathing in this hot air is uncomfortable; I need something to cool me off, now!” Well, you’ve stepped into the wonderful world of Chandler in which hearing words, such as coolness or air condition will echo loudly in the “Valley of the Sun.”

Like most Arizonans, during the summer months in Chandler, we hunt for shade, search for air-conditioned venues, and dive into swimming pools. According to the National Weather Service, the average monthly temperatures and weather in Chandler, AZ can shed some light as to why indoor activities and pool time are so popular during this time of year.

Month Avg. High Avg. Low Avg. Precipitation Record High Record Low
    July 106� 77� 0.89 in 119� 54�
    August 104� 76� 1,14 in 115� 51�
    Sept 99� 70� .89 in 113� 40�
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-27-13 03:56 PM
    Just to help things along a bit:

Summer Weather in Chandler, AZ

June 6, 2011
    Digg Digg

Summer can best be described as “Very Uncomfortable.” As you stand still, imagine placing a hair dryer in front of you and blowing hot air on your face for 2-3 minutes. Temperatures start to feel furnace-like. As you try this little experiment, you might think. “This is ridiculous. Breathing in this hot air is uncomfortable; I need something to cool me off, now!” Well, you’ve stepped into the wonderful world of Chandler in which hearing words, such as coolness or air condition will echo loudly in the “Valley of the Sun.”

Like most Arizonans, during the summer months in Chandler, we hunt for shade, search for air-conditioned venues, and dive into swimming pools. According to the National Weather Service, the average monthly temperatures and weather in Chandler, AZ can shed some light as to why indoor activities and pool time are so popular during this time of year.

Month Avg. High Avg. Low Avg. Precipitation Record High Record Low
    July 106� 77� 0.89 in 119� 54�
    August 104� 76� 1,14 in 115� 51�
    Sept 99� 70� .89 in 113� 40�
    Sold to the old man in the cellar! That's it then, after reading that I'm off there. Mmmmmmmm now which brandy shall I pack?
    04-28-13 06:27 AM
28 12