I am one who takes care of a device, I even go to the extent of placing my phone and playbook on top of a cloth to protect the back every time I put it down , when it's charging I lay the device on top of the charging cord so it rarely gets the back scratched. I have never dropped any phone or tablet. I have had this playbook since it was released it has NO scratches BUT the sides where it is held in my hand are now rough and seems likes its chipping not really chipping but the best way to describe it I would say it kinda looks like rust in a way....Anyone else have this issue?? I will gladly post pics if anyone wants to c what I'm talking about
    03-14-13 09:29 PM
    I've had mine since the beginning and no issues as you describe.
    03-14-13 09:33 PM
    Do you use any hand lotion or similar products that might affect the rubber/silicon membrane?
    03-14-13 09:38 PM
    That's the rubber film chipping/flaking off. I've had mine since September's of 2011, used hard and daily with no issues with that, but mine is in a case as well. We do have one at work that has started to do that but the girl it's assigned to takes it out of the case every morning and puts it back in the case before leaving, which causes a lot of wear and tear on the edges. She loves the feel of it out of the case but only does that in the office.

If the look bothers you, you can get a product called Liquid Electrical Tape, put it on the areas flaking and smooth it flush with a plastic putty spatula or a credit card. It holds up well and bonds well. Or use some black RTV sealant from an auto parts store and apply it the same way.
    03-15-13 12:13 AM
    I am one who takes care of a device, I even go to the extent of placing my phone and playbook on top of a cloth to protect the back every time I put it down , when it's charging I lay the device on top of the charging cord so it rarely gets the back scratched. I have never dropped any phone or tablet. I have had this playbook since it was released it has NO scratches BUT the sides where it is held in my hand are now rough and seems likes its chipping not really chipping but the best way to describe it I would say it kinda looks like rust in a way....Anyone else have this issue?? I will gladly post pics if anyone wants to c what I'm talking about
    judging from the mess in your avatar, i'm wondering if there's not a playbook under there...
    Jonathank likes this.
    03-15-13 12:29 AM
    Like slightly elevated and really hard specks of dust? My Playbook had these too and they are one of several reasons why I sold the device. I could never get rid of them. My hands are prone to sweating and I guess the sweat caused the material to deteriorate.
    03-15-13 06:30 AM
    Have two PB, have no issue like that on either one, but if I'm not at home, PB are always in cases.
    03-15-13 07:12 AM
    this is a common and known issue...several people here had the same problem with their playbooks and I was one of them. It didn't effect the performance of the playbook itself. Don't bother sending in the playbook because you will not like the outcome!
    03-15-13 07:52 AM
    That's the rubber film chipping/flaking off. I've had mine since September's of 2011, used hard and daily with no issues with that, but mine is in a case as well. We do have one at work that has started to do that but the girl it's assigned to takes it out of the case every morning and puts it back in the case before leaving, which causes a lot of wear and tear on the edges. She loves the feel of it out of the case but only does that in the office.

If the look bothers you, you can get a product called Liquid Electrical Tape, put it on the areas flaking and smooth it flush with a plastic putty spatula or a credit card. It holds up well and bonds well. Or use some black RTV sealant from an auto parts store and apply it the same way.
    Wow, besides the liquid electrical tape and "Corrosion X or ACF50" you have access to some great and very interesting stuff! A hobbyist's dream.
    03-15-13 09:29 AM
    Yes sounds like mine too. This occurs on the metal part around the edge. It is only in the areas my hands are; the bottom of each side (landscape). I know my sweat is a little more acidic than others and figured this is the cause. I have a pair of eye protection that had anti-fog coating on the inside of the lens. In one use my sweat ate through this coating and I have to wash off the flakes after I use them. I'm not concerned though. After a year of everyday use I expected this thing to be in much worse condition than it is.
    Jonathank likes this.
    03-15-13 02:53 PM
    Exactly its on the metal rim of the playbook, mine is by the speakers, I STILL LOVE MY PLAYBOOK, still works and responds perfectly
    eddy_berry likes this.
    03-15-13 10:16 PM
    Mine, too. I think my hands sweat more than usual, that's why the corners are peeling. But the back's in perfect condition.
    03-15-13 11:02 PM
    try this,,, i've been looking into these,,, they look pretty sharp,,, $30/U.S.,,, aside from some cool colors, there are some black ones, flat & carbon fiber hatch scheme, that may return your playbook to looking like new...

Phantom Skinz |BlackBerry Playbook, cell phone skins, screen protectors, cases, covers, shields, full body protection
    03-16-13 12:46 AM
    Mine is exactly the same as you describe yours. I think the "rust" is Copper, maybe for the antenna. Anyway the most likely cause is a combination of wear due to how you hold your PlayBook, how often you use it and the electrolysis effect between your skin and the playbook surface.
    I think the solution to avoid it or prevent further deterioration is probably to keep it in a cover.

PS. I've had my playbook since early release and it gets a lot of use, and I mean a lot!
    03-16-13 08:38 AM