with all the shortcomings of the playbook OS, im stil using it mainly because the size is perfect for me. so i use it only for browsing and playing videos.
    but there is one thing that is just frustrating , the video player simply sucks. many formats are not supported, which makes me have to convert before i can watch on the playbook.
    but when you are watching a video and have to stop it , there is no way for the software to remember where you stopped the last time. so u need to go back and forth trying to remember. I tried to find another video player in the market and was willing to pay for it, there is not a single one. simply terrible.
    are there really any devs out there trying to make the playbook better ? on IOS and android you have 200 different versions of every single app. can we get maybe 2 or 3 on the playbook for god s sake ?
    esqlaw likes this.
    11-27-11 05:42 PM
    Do you really need 200 different versions of the same app? For twitter I have seeismic, for IM, I have IM+, for movie player, I have MVideoPlayer, music? Winamp. What else do you need?
    flash24 and bbfan1040 like this.
    11-27-11 05:49 PM
    Well, a number of people have mentioned the failure of the pb to bookmark where you left off in a video is a pain. Have you accidentally pressed the Begin/End arrows and lost your place? It happens.

Also some folks have wanted a Video Playlist function to play short videos one after the other automatically.

Either an improved or 3rd party app might be nice.

There is a 3rd party video app that will display subtitles.
    11-27-11 07:17 PM
    F2, there is a 3rd party player that will show subtitles? Which one?
    11-27-11 07:22 PM
    The worst problem I have right now with the Music player, is the lack of proper ID3v1&ID3v2 handling. Embedded album art does not work properly,...
    11-27-11 07:41 PM
    The music player is quite possibly the worst mp3 player i have seen in many years. To sum it up, play, pause, next, previous and a single playlist. Not supporting embedded tags is unforgivable in a device like this.
    11-27-11 07:54 PM
    The music player is quite possibly the worst mp3 player i have seen in many years. To sum it up, play, pause, next, previous and a single playlist. Not supporting embedded tags is unforgivable in a device like this.
    Look at the bright side - the lack of proper operations from the embedded/included apps - opens up a HUGE market for 3rd party apps...

and if not AppWorld get its act together soon - RIM will have to stand on the sideline watching developers make and sell TONs of apps for the PlayBook..
    11-27-11 07:57 PM
    movieSRTPlayer is the subtitle player.
    11-27-11 10:06 PM
    with all the shortcomings of the playbook OS, im stil using it mainly because the size is perfect for me. so i use it only for browsing and playing videos.
    but there is one thing that is just frustrating , the video player simply sucks. many formats are not supported, which makes me have to convert before i can watch on the playbook.
    but when you are watching a video and have to stop it , there is no way for the software to remember where you stopped the last time. so u need to go back and forth trying to remember. I tried to find another video player in the market and was willing to pay for it, there is not a single one. simply terrible.
    are there really any devs out there trying to make the playbook better ? on IOS and android you have 200 different versions of every single app. can we get maybe 2 or 3 on the playbook for god s sake ?

MPEG4 and H.264 are the video formats for pb. Which formats are you converting.

I don't see why you think the video player is "simply terrible". The picture is great and sliding to the place you stopped is quick. If you want to quickly note where you let-off use an app like Daboo Notes to post a 'sticky'.

Right now the pb is missing some features but most of this should be fixed with OS2 in February
    11-28-11 12:03 AM

I like the music player, it's refreshingly simple to use. Setting-up the one playlist is super easy, swipe down, choose edit then pick/un-pick the songs you want. This can be done in seconds.

You have 3 'pre-set' playlists - Artists, Albums, and Genres
    11-28-11 12:14 AM
    Is there an app that will play .mkv files?
    11-28-11 12:33 AM
    Is there an app that will play .mkv files?
    Which app will play MKV with OS 2?
    12-26-11 11:44 PM
    Which app will play MKV with OS 2?
    technically it should play mkvs. but remember MKV is just a container, its not actually a file format. you could stuff any sort of video format into an mkv. so it might be able to play ONE mkv file but not play another.

there are pretty much no other video players available for the playbook right now. really frustrating because all of my other devices play all of my videos just fine. the playbook either always tells me "unsupported media" or it has no sound.

right now, despite the great screen its not a very good media player at all.
    12-26-11 11:50 PM
    If you want to quickly note where you let-off use an app like Daboo Notes to post a 'sticky'.
    not really a great suggestion. I watch downloaded movies on my ps3 and when I close the movie and reopen it, the movie picks up exactly where I closed the player, that is all I'm really looking for on the PB.
    12-27-11 09:57 AM
    The media player is not the most poweful and leaves a lot to be desired (and this follows reading about similarly deficient aspects of the pdf viewer on the pb). Rim clearly rushed some aspects of the pb to provide minimal features and it has not changed in 8 months. What OS2 will deliver is still a very open question.
    12-27-11 10:57 AM
    What about playing videos (movies, TV shows) that are stored on a DLNA-server Wifi-networked multi-TB NAS drive? Preferably a network-capable VLC.
    12-27-11 11:52 AM
    What about playing videos (movies, TV shows) that are stored on a DLNA-server Wifi-networked multi-TB NAS drive? Preferably a network-capable VLC.
    streaming on the playbook is also a huge weakspot. some people are setting up lan shares with an android file manager and trying to stream that way but of course that depends on whether all your videos are compatible with the playbooks lackluster codec support.

on iOS and android i use air video and emit. both transcode on the fly and send to my devices over wifi and 3g with great quality. super easy to set up and works. android has specific VLC streaming apps which didn't work in the playbook android player. i've yet to see something like this on the playbook at all which is a shame.
    JeffyPooh likes this.
    12-27-11 11:57 AM
    Something new here? I got the Playbook because i thought it supports lots of Android Apps like Moboplayer or VLC but it does not, does it?
    04-08-12 05:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD