04-21-14 06:36 AM
93 123 ...
tools
    Hey there, you may remember me from this little escapade.

I saw the Playbook update this morning and decided to come back to the old crackberry Playbook forums, which I haven't been checking regularly since last fall. It seems as though nothing has changed. Despite now official confirmation from Blackberry to Kevin that .1917 is the absolute last update we should ever expect, people are still deluding themselves that BB10 or another PBOS update is coming to Playbook, and what's worse, roping unsuspecting fools into their delusions.

Listen very carefully: Playbook development is DEAD, EOL'ed. How do I know this with absolute and total certainty? Why, I'm glad you asked. You see, this .1917 update itself is proof that all development on the Playbook is over.

1) If Blackberry were to upgrade the Playbooks to BB10, they wouldn't have released an update to a few measly runtimes, as they just did. What's the point of updating runtimes to an OS you're about to swap out? Instead, they would have just released a version of BB10 for Playbook, which already would have included all the latest runtimes, and much much more. Chen has had six months to reverse the EOL decision; he hasn't, and he won't. BB10 is not coming to Playbook, in any manner whatsoever.

2) The Playbook OS was officially EOL'ed last June. Now, let's say a new PBOS update was in some stage of development when the Playbook was killed. Since then, some 9 months have passed. A new CEO has been in charge for half a year. And after all this time, all we get are some runtime updates? What that means is that NOTHING was in the pipe on PBOS. No further meaningful development work on the PBOS was performed since the 2.1 update. Otherwise, Chen would have just released it in the last update the Playbook will ever have. There would simply have been no point in holding on to anything at this point.

Let's review:
    1) No BB10 (or any part of it, nothing) is coming to Playbook, ever. (otherwise, the 1917 would not have been made)
    2) No updates exist for the PBOS to even be pushed out. (otherwise, we would have just gotten them)
    3) Blackberry management just washed its hands of the Playbook, forever.

I know, I know, even with this unambiguous and logical proof, you want to believe. I did too. Even nine months later, it still hurts. I have never been as disappointed in a company as I was in Blackberry. The death of the Playbook was an event that really, truly, changed the way I relate with technology and technology companies.

1) I will never again purchase a product based on promises of improvements, no matter how high up those promises come from.
    2) I will never emotionally relate to a technology company again, or be invested in promoting its products.

Having now owned an LG Optimus G Pro for 6 months, my first android phone, think I can speak with some objectivity. I might buy Blackberry products in the future, but on craigslist or firesales, never at anything even close to full retail. I can't imagine ever being an early adopter for them again. I do see some value in the keyboard to my ability to communicate. If I owned a business in a regulated industry, like healthcare, I might have considered them for the security features. However, as a consumer, nothing about Blackberry's hardware or the BB10 as a platform is particularly interesting or compelling to me. All the operating systems have made such progress in the last few years. All the special features of QNX we once raved about are now mostly equaled by iOS and Android. Even BBM... it's just one of a dozen messaging services that all do just about everything just about well enough. I don't expect Blackberry to ever truly innovate in the mobile space again, and that's ok.

As for the Playbook, the Blackberry Fan's eternal Moby ****, I still use it, for all that it is, and for all that it could have been (BUT NEVER WILL BE).
    04-01-14 07:49 PM
    Goodnight, sweet prince.
    04-01-14 07:51 PM
    Goodnight, sweet prince.
    Straight up......sleep tight

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 08:03 PM

1) No BB10 (or any part of it, nothing) is coming to Playbook, ever. (otherwise, the 1917 would not have been made)
    2) No updates exist for the PBOS to even be pushed out. (otherwise, we would have just gotten them)
    Of course, you are forgetting one thing. Let's assume that BB10 or OS 2.2 or something else was in the works, but was not yet ready for prime time. Why would they push 1917 out if such were the case, you say? Well. perhaps they felt the need to push it out precisely for the reason that they told you they were doing it. If you downloaded the update, they clearly said that it was to update the BB App World app. Why the need to do this if a major update is in the pipeline? Well, if you visit App World on your Playbook, you'll see the message that on April 3, App World is changing and that older versions of App World will no longer work. Thus, it is possible that they pushed out the update as a stopgap so no one need go without a functioning App World, even for a short period of time.

Now, I'm not saying that this is the case, only that it could be, and you can't say definitively that it's not.
    axllebeer likes this.
    04-01-14 08:21 PM
    No, my PlayBook isn't dead.

It still works and actually better than it has when I first bought it.

The device has been released for about 3 years now so of course I would expect support to go the way of the dodo.

Posted via CB10
    Spencerdl, andy957 and axllebeer like this.
    04-01-14 08:32 PM
    You scared me so I grabbed my PlayBook to see if it was dead...lol...you silly guy...it's still working great!

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    Jrox74, anon(4067838), EWY and 5 others like this.
    04-01-14 08:39 PM
    Bla1ze, shouldn't you be writing another post whipping up the possibility of more Playbook updates? I think you missed a few suckers the first time around.
    04-01-14 08:59 PM
    Dude, I need you to write my obituary that one day. No one else will ever care enough about me to write as much as you did here for a self proclaimed dead object. ...
    We know what's dead -we know what's alive. I. Usually say if you ask it a question and it answers, s h i t.. that MOFO be alivin' ... But thanks for coming in after so long just to skool us - so much appreciated... I will even include the obligatory L O L .'
    eninrebmun likes this.
    04-01-14 10:09 PM
    I enjoyed reading this on my PlayBook.
    04-01-14 10:09 PM
    Blackberry already lost over 20 million customers whats another million or two.
    04-01-14 10:43 PM
    Whatever. My PlayBook still has 91% battery health according to Battery Guru. It's dead commercially but the hobbyists can still make use of it until the hardware fails.

Posted via CB10
    mh1983, domex and nealjane1 like this.
    04-02-14 01:25 AM
    I also thought I read Chen say "So long, and thanks for the fish"........

c
    Cynycl and kbz1960 like this.
    04-02-14 09:12 AM
    I also thought I read Chen say "So long, and thanks for the fish"........

c
    Nah that was Thortsen Heins - and what he actualy said was 'So long, and thanks for all the CASH'
    Cynycl, Carl Estes and kbz1960 like this.
    04-02-14 09:36 AM
    Goodnight, sweet prince.
    Are you quoting RoboCop there?

I just sold my PlayBook today and in some ways it's a relief not having to think about it any longer.
    04-02-14 11:10 AM
    you seem quite angry victorshikhman. are you ok?
    mh1983 likes this.
    04-02-14 12:54 PM
    It's a shame we can't find a way to marry a usable OS to superior hardware like the Playbook. I posted in your other thread that Microsoft was making OS8 available free for tablets 9" or smaller. So if the Playbook were technically able to port it, we would have the best of both worlds.
    04-02-14 01:50 PM
    It's a shame we can't find a way to marry a usable OS to superior hardware like the Playbook. I posted in your other thread that Microsoft was making OS8 available free for tablets 9" or smaller. So if the Playbook were technically able to port it, we would have the best of both worlds.
    I would love to have this capability if BlackBerry is truly planning to EOL the PlayBook.
    04-02-14 01:57 PM
    MY PlayBook is still alive and kicking ...imagine that.
    axllebeer and mh1983 like this.
    04-02-14 02:15 PM
    So what if it isn't being developed anymore?

Its still supported by BBRY support and its works great.

Ill use mine till it dies.

Then Ill burn in a funeral prior like Darth Vader.
    04-02-14 06:56 PM
    Don't hold back.... Tell us how you really feel
    axllebeer likes this.
    04-02-14 11:56 PM
    BBRY should hang their heads in shame.

The playbook should have been one of their best products, but yet again they failed to back their own horse - much like putting the android runtime within BB10 and OS2.1.

They were early into the tablet market with what was superior hardware, and the basis of a superior OS. However constant delays, failure to create the bare minimum default apps at launch and most shamefully, not listening to their users have led to this situation.

Whilst not John Chens fault, this quietly released announcement about the end of support for BBRY's only tablet ( which is still current according the website ) has foretold the future of the company and I don't think i'll want to have any further involvement with it.

Trust and respect are things that are hard earned but easily lost, but regaining either is next to impossible.
    Last edited by uncle_numpty; 04-03-14 at 05:40 AM.
    kbz1960 and axllebeer like this.
    04-03-14 02:52 AM
    The PlayBook isn't going anywhere..it's right here with us, helping us with out daily tasks work and play...take out the fad apps and you still have a good professional productivity Device..with quality Apps to get things done ! Bridge will probably keep updating and I'm sure they must keep the security patches coming at the very least! Enjoy!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    axllebeer and schwede like this.
    04-03-14 10:44 AM
    I'm still happy using my 64GB WiFi PlayBook. Moreover, I've gone completely crazy and decided to buy a PlayBook LTE! )))))))))))))))))))))))))))
    axllebeer likes this.
    04-03-14 10:49 AM
    I'm still happy using my 64GB WiFi PlayBook. Moreover, I've gone completely crazy and decided to buy a PlayBook LTE! )))))))))))))))))))))))))))
    Not crazy at all! My PB is LTE and I have a SIM and data plan for it so I can connect anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 12:06 PM
    04-07-14 12:58 PM
93 123 ...