after 2 years boxed away when i switched from my 3G bold on T-Mo, i dusted off and have begun reloading my 64gb playbook as a desktop/nightstand media player for high fidelity video and HD audio player as well as a photoframe slideshow/clock.

now with my new Verizon Q10 LTE blackberry which i love i've also brought out the playbook to try and bridge it to the Q10

I think the original concept as an add-on to the handheld phone was spot on but now Miracast capabilities on the new OS10 devices and Miracast HDMI adapters allow you to use your avaliable TVs and monitorswirelessly instead

in the end everything regarding portable electronics dies a quicker and quicker death
    i still have my cambridge Z-88 (a brilliant device at the time from Ian Sinclair) to remind me of that

my Playbook situation reminds me of what happened with my Zune HD
    04-07-14 12:58 PM
    The OP has a point that the Playbook faithful refuse to see. Your individual Playbooks may well be alive and working for years to come. The world of technology is not a static world. It evolves quickly. Our Playbooks have stopped evolving. As new standards arrive our Playbooks will be unable to take advantage of them. How many people out there still use a Palm Pilot? Why not? If it is still in operational condition it still performs the same job it did when it was new. Sure, it will not access newer file types, and there are no drivers for Windows 8.1, and there are no accessories available for it anymore, the screen seems a lot smaller than it did years ago (my eyes are not as sharp as they were) but hey, it still works! I have no intention of throwing my Playbook away. As long as it continues to work (and Blackberry maintains its servers) I will use it, primarily for media consumption. It is no longer a primary machine. I will not spend any more money on it either. Once it loses the ability to perform the few functions I still require of it my Playbook will hit the recycling bin. I will not shed a tear for it. I got years of use from it and had it been supported by a company with a clue it could have been so much more than it ended up being. There will be no Playbook 2. Maybe there will be another company that decides to make a tablet based on QNX. I with them well. Just don't call it a Playbook.
    Chrysalis1156, andy957 and kbz1960 like this.
    04-08-14 07:12 AM
    @OP - it would seem that you missed all the fun! You're not wrong BTW, but stating the obvious won't convince anyone still in the dark, I'm afraid...
    04-08-14 05:17 PM
    my Playbook situation reminds me of what happened with my Zune HD
    Needless to say that I own both a playbook and a zune hd
    04-10-14 01:56 AM
    I'm not sure if people actually understand this post or I'd they think there smart or smug saying their playbook still turns on.....

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-10-14 06:20 AM
    Blackberry CEO has stated if their handsets aren't profitable by 2016 they will quit the handset market. Those who still think Blackberry may return to tablets or continue to develop for the Playbook are delusional. The Playbook as a platform is dead. By 2016 Blackberry will probably be considering pulling the plug on the servers. Use them if you have them. The clock is ticking.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-10-14 06:35 AM
    Blackberry CEO has stated if their handsets aren't profitable by 2016 they will quit the handset market. Those who still think Blackberry may return to tablets or continue to develop for the Playbook are delusional. The Playbook as a platform is dead. By 2016 Blackberry will probably be considering pulling the plug on the servers. Use them if you have them. The clock is ticking.
    Not if we take action now with the PlayBook, sign the petition and save your devices!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    04-10-14 03:37 PM
    This would be the delusional part I was talking about.
    andy957 and kbz1960 like this.
    04-11-14 06:29 AM
    Not if we take action now with the PlayBook, sign the petition and save your devices!

No petition will save your device. If you love blackberry you will let it die. You must of heard of heartbleed bug by now well the PlayBook was blackberry's CashBleed

kbz1960 likes this.
    04-11-14 07:13 AM
    No petition will save your device. If you love blackberry you will let it die. You must of heard of heartbleed bug by now well the PlayBook was blackberry's CashBleed

You guys are funny, the glass doesn't have to always be half empty! Lol

04-11-14 08:24 AM
    Sorry to hear that YOUR Playbook is dead, mine works just fine.

Sent from the phone of the Gods....Z30
    04-11-14 08:27 AM
    Mine works very well! Not dead yet!

Mary Margaret From my Z-10
    04-11-14 08:31 AM
    Nah that was Thortsen Heins - and what he actualy said was 'So long, and thanks for all the CASH'
    More like, "Thanks for taking my cash", since it probably cost them more to build the PlayBook hardware run than they ever made in revenue.
    04-11-14 09:03 AM
    You guys are funny, the glass doesn't have to always be half empty! Lol

How can you post messages without reading what was written before you?
    04-11-14 09:31 AM
    How can you post messages without reading what was written before you?
    I know what was written before, but this petition was started with a 'can do' attitude.

Orange UK likes this.
    04-11-14 10:20 AM
    Dude, I need you to write my obituary that one day. No one else will ever care enough about me to write as much as you did here for a self proclaimed dead object.
    Man that was both sad and funny at the same time. I went on a little mini emotional rollercoaster ride there.
    04-11-14 10:28 AM
    Playbook did not bleed any cash, bad management did - a half baked OS with a premium price tag, PB did not even ask to be born...
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    04-11-14 10:47 AM
    Playbook did not bleed any cash, bad management did - a half baked OS with a premium price tag, PB did not even ask to be born...
    All jokes aside. This was the reality, but, the present OS, along with the app issue and stable manufacturing partner now a non issue, this could be a decent foundation for a new generation of BlackBerry tablet.
    Focusing on true laptop / desktop replacement.
    I think we can all agree that the format is here to stay.
    I also think it's viable. Once the company has been stabilized, and with the tablet format becoming the norm, I can't see why this wouldn't, or shouldn't materialize.

Sent from the phone of the Gods....Z30
    04-11-14 11:09 AM
    You do know the PlayBook was the result of management right.

And yes the PlayBook is no longer a cashbleed because it's been laid to rest in flanders fields.

Say it how ever you want as a product the PlayBook was a large fail

kbz1960 likes this.
    04-11-14 02:18 PM
    I don't think I'd still be able to use a dead PlayBook. I use mine everyday along with my Q10, which is working (alive) too. If that sounds dead to you, you might need to get your ears and eyes checked.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 08:51 PM
    As you insist: Blackberry PlayBook failed on 1)management decisions 2) a pricetag of greed 3)launching new OS not ready for market and is still being built in BB10 products a year after launch.

SATISFIED dear ?

04-11-14 10:34 PM
    I don't think I'd still be able to use a dead PlayBook. I use mine everyday along with my Q10, which is working (alive) too. If that sounds dead to you, you might need to get your ears and eyes checked.

Posted via CB10
    The BB healthcare Dr in .ca just says YES as that's what he's paid to do
    04-11-14 10:36 PM
    I totally agree, but in the context of continued support for the product that isn't all that important. While I don't think this new petition will change anything, it does have a valid point. Absolutely killing all support for the product would seem to be a rather drastic measure, considering that it didn't get too much support during its normal life cycle anyway. It's not as if they will be able to downsize their support division immensely when stopping PB support.
    Orange UK likes this.
    04-12-14 04:20 AM
    I totally agree, but in the context of continued support for the product that isn't all that important. While I don't think this new petition will change anything, it does have a valid point. Absolutely killing all support for the product would seem to be a rather drastic measure, considering that it didn't get too much support during its normal life cycle anyway. It's not as if they will be able to downsize their support division immensely when stopping PB support.
    Thank you for an educated response, and not another I used my playbook today it's not dead answer.

All that being said I most definitely was a playbook owner myself waiting for the inferred updates that never made it to our little black slabs. While I was upset because promises were broken ( we all know what they were) you can only pine over something for so long. As in relationships the grieving period will be longer for others and yet others will never get over it. I myself will not want to allow myself to get bitter over something I could never change regardless.

The PlayBook could of been amazing! Unfortunately it was never in the cards for this understated powerhouse (at the time) simply because then RIM' ultimate goal wasn't a amazing tablet, it was a stepping stone to something greater. The latter obviously being blackberry 10.

Do I wish the PlayBook OS was updated to allow an updated android runtime, bb10 browser and cascades support definitely. About the same amount that I wish the blackberry cyclone came to be!

axllebeer likes this.
    04-12-14 04:50 AM
    and not another I used my playbook today it's not dead answer.
    I'd be lying if I were to claim that.
    I have a sinking feeling my own Playbook may even be dead by now, but that's beside the point (I hope)...
    04-12-14 05:19 AM
93 1234