For all the users out there that have a Playbook with a damaged, semi-damaged or extra sensitive USB charge/data port:

The Workaround:

The Blackberry Playbook Charging POD. You can obtain one on Amazon with shipping for like $15. This uses the three metal pins or 3rd port on the bottom right side rather than having to charge via the USB port. Then just use the Wifi connection in Blackberry Link for data transfers. You can use DDPB for sideloading which allows for wireless transfers as well. Again, this is a workaround if your Playbook is out of warranty as mine is and has a damaged, defunct or inactive USB port.

Thanks,

~S
    FF22 likes this.
    10-15-13 10:03 AM
    Yes both the Charging POD or the individual Rapid Charger are a great option for bypassing the USB charging port.

One of my PlayBooks developed a problem, but it was within the warranty period and they just shipped me a new one. I've been using the Rapid Charger from that point on. Wish they had kept the charging port for use with BB10 devices.
    FF22 and skelleytech like this.
    10-15-13 10:11 AM
    GREAT advise! This also works for legacy BBs with charging points, such as the 99XX, 97XX, etc.
    skelleytech and FF22 like this.
    10-15-13 10:12 AM
    Is this the fate of all micro usb ports? Eventual failure rendering a device without a secondary charging port useless.
    10-15-13 11:02 AM
    Yes both the Charging POD or the individual Rapid Charger are a great option for bypassing the USB charging port.

One of my PlayBooks developed a problem, but it was within the warranty period and they just shipped me a new one. I've been using the Rapid Charger from that point on. Wish they had kept the charging port for use with BB10 devices.
    Oh yeah, forgot about the Rapid Charger. May need to pick one of those up as well.

~S
    10-15-13 11:11 AM
    Is this the fate of all micro usb ports? Eventual failure rendering a device without a secondary charging port useless.
    Not necessarily, HOWEVER some are more prone to it than others, besides the PlayBook, this is know to happen to Kindle Fire(s) as well. I'm very careful with my ports and fortunately have never had the issue, although I DID break the power slot on a laptop once! Fortunately it was under warranty.
    10-15-13 11:24 AM